RWM

Default Plane

"Brian in Hampton" wrote in message
news:kjsHb.18876$Fg.15479@lakeread01...
My grandfather gave me a plane that my great-grandfather had and I was
wondering if I should re finish it or just keep it on the shelf for the
memories. He has been gone for about 15 years or so. I think the plane is
about 70 years or so....It is a craftsman.....Brian

I have a bunch of old planes that I still use. I wouldn't refinish the wood
but I would take the time to flatten the sole and sharpen the iron. If it
was a moulding plane it would it's practical us could be more limited, but
it is still great to have in your collection.

Bob McBreen - Yarrrow Point Washington

Brian in Hampton wrote:
My grandfather gave me a plane that my great-grandfather had and I was
wondering if I should re finish it or just keep it on the shelf for the
memories. He has been gone for about 15 years or so. I think the plane is
about 70 years or so....It is a craftsman.....Brian

Since you've been posting since March, I'll assume that you really would
use the plane. Craftsman didn't make their own planes, so the name
isn't an issue. Either maker of their planes was a reputable bunch, so
the plane should be good. The questions are the condition of it now and
whether you get a warm fuzzy from working with heirloom tools. If the
throat is good, and there aren't any cracks or bad pits, I'd say "clean
it only as much as required and use it." I'd check the sole before I
decided to lap it, might not need it, hure wouldn't remove the patina.
Use it with care and respect, then pass it on.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
Woodchuck Bill

"Brian in Hampton" wrote in

My grandfather gave me a plane that my great-grandfather had and I was
wondering if I should re finish it or just keep it on the shelf for the
memories. He has been gone for about 15 years or so. I think the plane is
about 70 years or so....It is a craftsman.....Brian

Why is the date on your computer set one week in advance?

--
Bill

Paul

"Woodchuck Bill" wrote in message
"Brian in Hampton" wrote in

My grandfather gave me a plane that my great-grandfather had and I was
wondering if I should re finish it or just keep it on the shelf for the
memories. He has been gone for about 15 years or so. I think the plane

is
about 70 years or so....It is a craftsman.....Brian

Why is the date on your computer set one week in advance?

--
Bill

How about 53 weeks in advance...

Paul

Brian in Vancouver, BC

I know the answer. It is so his message stays at the top when messages are
sorted by date. Clever!? :{

Brian

"Woodchuck Bill" wrote in message
| "Brian in Hampton" wrote in
|
| My grandfather gave me a plane that my great-grandfather had and I was
| wondering if I should re finish it or just keep it on the shelf for the
| memories. He has been gone for about 15 years or so. I think the plane
is
| about 70 years or so....It is a craftsman.....Brian
|

| Why is the date on your computer set one week in advance?
|
| --
| Bill

William Prisavage

What it's gonna do is get him plonked
GBYE!
"Brian in Vancouver, BC" wrote in message
I know the answer. It is so his message stays at the top when messages

are
sorted by date. Clever!? :{

Brian

"Woodchuck Bill" wrote in message
| "Brian in Hampton" wrote in
|
| My grandfather gave me a plane that my great-grandfather had and I was
| wondering if I should re finish it or just keep it on the shelf for

the
| memories. He has been gone for about 15 years or so. I think the plane
is
| about 70 years or so....It is a craftsman.....Brian
|

| Why is the date on your computer set one week in advance?
|
| --
| Bill

Paul

More than likely an honest mistake. My father could do things with his
computer that would defy
the laws of physics. The date thing was one of them.

Paul

"William Prisavage" wrote in message
k.net...
What it's gonna do is get him plonked
GBYE!
"Brian in Vancouver, BC" wrote in message
I know the answer. It is so his message stays at the top when messages

are
sorted by date. Clever!? :{

Brian

"Woodchuck Bill" wrote in message
| "Brian in Hampton" wrote in
|
| My grandfather gave me a plane that my great-grandfather had and I

was
| wondering if I should re finish it or just keep it on the shelf for

the
| memories. He has been gone for about 15 years or so. I think the

plane
is
| about 70 years or so....It is a craftsman.....Brian
|

| Why is the date on your computer set one week in advance?
|
| --
| Bill

Jerry Gilreath

So, your my long lost brother. My old man does exactly the same thing, then
swears he didn't do anything to it.

--
This space for rent.
Jerry© The Phoneman®
"Paul" wrote in message
More than likely an honest mistake. My father could do things with his
computer that would defy
the laws of physics. The date thing was one of them.

Paul

"William Prisavage" wrote in message
k.net...
What it's gonna do is get him plonked
GBYE!
"Brian in Vancouver, BC" wrote in message
I know the answer. It is so his message stays at the top when

messages
are
sorted by date. Clever!? :{

Brian

"Woodchuck Bill" wrote in message
| "Brian in Hampton" wrote in
|
| My grandfather gave me a plane that my great-grandfather had and I

was
| wondering if I should re finish it or just keep it on the shelf

for
the
| memories. He has been gone for about 15 years or so. I think the

plane
is
| about 70 years or so....It is a craftsman.....Brian
|

| Why is the date on your computer set one week in advance?
|
| --
| Bill

Brian in Hampton

My son changed the date and when I posted I noticed it and oh
$%&T......Brian

D.Mo

My son changed the date and when I posted I noticed it and oh
$%&T......Brian

Oh surre blame the kid :-)

Personally I just thoiught I was experiencing some sort of time warp.

D. Mo

Charlie Self

Lionel responds:

Looks like maybe 53 weeks in advance. And I missed the Twilight Zone theme
that was surely in the background.

Lionel

"Woodchuck Bill" wrote in message
"Brian in Hampton" wrote in

My grandfather gave me a plane that my great-grandfather had and I was
wondering if I should re finish it or just keep it on the shelf for the
memories. He has been gone for about 15 years or so. I think the plane

is
about 70 years or so....It is a craftsman.....Brian

How about let Brian know what he might do with his original question, instead
of all the nonsense about a date? My suggestion: sharpen, flatten the sole,
use.

Refinishing by an amateur may destroy what value it has, so checking with an
expert there is a good idea, but Craftsman planes from the '30s were excellent
tools, so using it might be the greatest form of respect for your grandfather's
tools.

Charlie Self

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html
Eide

I agree Charlie, but you'll see this post on the top for a year if you sort
by the date.

Eide

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
Lionel responds:

[...]

terry boivin

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 23:42:12 -0500, "Brian in Hampton"
wrote:
Who better than yourself to answer this question...

TJB

My grandfather gave me a plane that my great-grandfather had and I was
wondering if I should re finish it or just keep it on the shelf for the
memories. He has been gone for about 15 years or so. I think the plane is
about 70 years or so....It is a craftsman.....Brian

Hitch

"RWM" wrote in
:

"Brian in Hampton" wrote in message
My grandfather gave me a plane that my great-grandfather had and I
was wondering if I should re finish it or just keep it on the shelf
for the memories. He has been gone for about 15 years or so. I think
the plane is about 70 years or so....It is a craftsman.....Brian

I have a bunch of old planes that I still use. I wouldn't refinish
the wood but I would take the time to flatten the sole and sharpen the
iron. If it was a moulding plane it would it's practical us could be
more limited, but it is still great to have in your collection.

Bob McBreen - Yarrrow Point Washington

I inherited a few tools from my great-grandfather. He was a carpenter in
Palo Alto, Calif. Built lots of stuff, some of which is still standing
(and worth a pretty penny now, you betcha!). I still use them frequently.
They aren't collectible but are good users, so I use them. I don't have
any qualms about using them and possibly using them up or breaking them, as
they are not unique tools, but were made to be used. The best part is that
every time I pull one out I remember the family history that brought the
tool to my hands. I only hope that my daughter wants to keep my tools
after I'm gone.

John Snow

Brian in Hampton

My grandfather gave me a plane that my great-grandfather had and I was
wondering if I should re finish it or just keep it on the shelf for the
memories. He has been gone for about 15 years or so. I think the plane is
about 70 years or so....It is a craftsman.....Brian

Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge? Bay Area Dave Woodworking 115 November 17th 03 07:56 PM
hand plane issue Luis Woodworking 2 October 17th 03 05:54 PM
Thanks Steve Knight - Mini Plane Review JackD Woodworking 13 October 8th 03 03:56 AM