Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Preventing toy box lid from slamming shut

There must be a simple device that allows a lid to close slowly rather
than to slam of fingers. The lid(s) weigh maybe 10 pounds but can
really cause an injured finger. ( The lid is much too light for the
type of device found on cars.)
Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=410

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 8, 6:32 pm, wrote:
There must be a simple device that allows a lid to close slowly rather
than to slam of fingers. The lid(s) weigh maybe 10 pounds but can
really cause an injured finger. ( The lid is much too light for the
type of device found on cars.)

Try www.mcmaster.com and search for gas springs. There are several
pages of gas springs and mounting brackets. These are not too
expensive for the small, low force units. These are hold open devices
like on a car. Proper geometry will allow the lid to stay open and
closed with or without a latch.
Search for Shock Absorbers and then select Shock Absorbers &
Dampers, page 1175 at present, for simple slow closers like automotive
shocks without springs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 8, 7:24 pm, evodawg wrote:
wrote:
There must be a simple device that allows a lid to close slowly rather
than to slam of fingers. The lid(s) weigh maybe 10 pounds but can
really cause an injured finger. ( The lid is much too light for the
type of device found on cars.)

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=410

Now how in the world would the OP have found that?! I mean come on -
it says in the description " Prevents lids from accidentally slamming
shut on fingers." and there's no way he could have found that without
searching for something obscure like, "prevent lid slam fingers".

Google is the enemy, and you should keep your enemies close.

Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote:

On Jun 8, 7:24 pm, evodawg wrote:
wrote:
There must be a simple device that allows a lid to close slowly rather
than to slam of fingers. The lid(s) weigh maybe 10 pounds but can
really cause an injured finger. ( The lid is much too light for the
type of device found on cars.)

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=410

Now how in the world would the OP have found that?! I mean come on -
it says in the description " Prevents lids from accidentally slamming
shut on fingers." and there's no way he could have found that without
searching for something obscure like, "prevent lid slam fingers".

Google is the enemy, and you should keep your enemies close.

Very simple, "toy box support" or "toy box lid" its right in his Subject
Matter.

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking

As far as you're concerned everyone is here to serve you?

On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 13:40:18 -0400, wrote:

For thoses of you who were critical of my request suggesting I could
have found thiese myself, get a life. Why waste bandwith with such
nonsense.

Posted to rec.woodworking

For those of you that offered helpful suggestions, thanks very much.
For thoses of you who were critical of my request suggesting I could
have found thiese myself, get a life. Why waste bandwith with such
nonsense. Who do you think you're helping?

I've followed this group for maybe 10 years. Most of the time,
everyong is willing to offer a helpful suggestion or two but once in a
while, the jerks just must have their say. (And it is frequently the
same jerks!)

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 09:48:40 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

On Jun 8, 7:24 pm, evodawg wrote:
wrote:
There must be a simple device that allows a lid to close slowly rather
than to slam of fingers. The lid(s) weigh maybe 10 pounds but can
really cause an injured finger. ( The lid is much too light for the
type of device found on cars.)

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=410

Now how in the world would the OP have found that?! I mean come on -
it says in the description " Prevents lids from accidentally slamming
shut on fingers." and there's no way he could have found that without
searching for something obscure like, "prevent lid slam fingers".

Google is the enemy, and you should keep your enemies close.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
For those of you that offered helpful suggestions, thanks very much.
For thoses of you who were critical of my request suggesting I could
have found thiese myself, get a life. Why waste bandwith with such
nonsense. Who do you think you're helping?

I've followed this group for maybe 10 years. Most of the time,
everyong is willing to offer a helpful suggestion or two but once in a
while, the jerks just must have their say. (And it is frequently the
same jerks!)

Jerks? Just because they pointed out something kind of obvious? I don't
recall that any of those posters resorted to calling you any names for your
original post. Funny you should feel the need...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thery are, in my humble opinion, jerks!

Why waste bandwidth with such suggestions? If one doesn't want to
help in a positive manor, or has nothing positive to add why not stay
silent? Who is helped by negative or non-helpful responses. Maybe
the sender gets satisfaction but I really don't think anyone else
finds such comments positive nor helpful to anyone.

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 14:04:43 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
For those of you that offered helpful suggestions, thanks very much.
For thoses of you who were critical of my request suggesting I could
have found thiese myself, get a life. Why waste bandwith with such
nonsense. Who do you think you're helping?

I've followed this group for maybe 10 years. Most of the time,
everyong is willing to offer a helpful suggestion or two but once in a
while, the jerks just must have their say. (And it is frequently the
same jerks!)

Jerks? Just because they pointed out something kind of obvious? I don't
recall that any of those posters resorted to calling you any names for your
original post. Funny you should feel the need...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
Thery are, in my humble opinion, jerks!

Why waste bandwidth with such suggestions? If one doesn't want to
help in a positive manor, or has nothing positive to add why not stay
silent? Who is helped by negative or non-helpful responses. Maybe
the sender gets satisfaction but I really don't think anyone else
finds such comments positive nor helpful to anyone.

I didn't find the response to be too awful negative. A gentle nudge towards
google is often a good way to be encouraging. Most people that first post
to a forum like this typically later re-post about the abundance of
information they found using google. All in all, a good thing. I still
have a problem with the response that calls people jerks for doing exactly
what you are doing - expressing an opinion.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 9, 2:14 pm, wrote:
Thery are, in my humble opinion, jerks!

Why waste bandwidth with such suggestions? If one doesn't want to
help in a positive manor, or has nothing positive to add why not stay
silent? Who is helped by negative or non-helpful responses. Maybe
the sender gets satisfaction but I really don't think anyone else
finds such comments positive nor helpful to anyone.

I've helped in a positive manor - a small manor, I think it was a two
door.

As far as the bandwidth, that is no longer a concern for anyone as far
as I can tell. People's time, however, is always in short supply, and
what you've done is to ask a group of strangers to do a search for
you. If you searched and didn't find anything, well, hell, post away,
but otherwise it just comes across as laziness.

Don't worry about the jerk comment. I don't - I've been called far
worse by far better people!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 14:14:44 -0400, wrote:

Why waste bandwidth with such suggestions?

Have you considered that replying in the way you have might possibly
cause someone's opinion of slide down hill?

Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 14:33:39 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

I didn't find the response to be too awful negative. A gentle nudge towards
google is often a good way to be encouraging.

I look at it as teaching a man to fish.

Myself, I'll often post a link directly to the search.

The OP can then reply with a "Has anyone used one of these?" or a
"Which of these three parts might work best?"

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, whatever you call it, a "gas strut" is what is in use on cars, and
they come in an infinite variety of sizes (lengths) and strengths.

For instance, the one on the hood of my new KIA might support a ten (or
more) pound toybox lid as well as it supports the hood of the car.

Flash

wrote in message
There must be a simple device that allows a lid to close slowly rather
than to slam of fingers. The lid(s) weigh maybe 10 pounds but can
really cause an injured finger. ( The lid is much too light for the
type of device found on cars.)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 18:32:51 -0400, wrote:

There must be a simple device that allows a lid to close slowly rather
than to slam of fingers.

Lee Valley do one. Their viscous damper is much better than any of the
spring-based ones.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

Think door closer.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 8, 6:32 pm, wrote:
There must be a simple device that allows a lid to close slowly rather
than to slam of fingers. The lid(s) weigh maybe 10 pounds but can
really cause an injured finger. ( The lid is much too light for the
type of device found on cars.)

Counterbalance? Torsion spring, similar to the type
found on a clothespin? Hard for the lid to slam
shut if it wants to open.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 12, 10:36 pm, Father Haskell wrote:
On Jun 8, 6:32 pm, wrote:

There must be a simple device that allows a lid to close slowly rather
than to slam of fingers. The lid(s) weigh maybe 10 pounds but can
really cause an injured finger. ( The lid is much too light for the
type of device found on cars.)

Counterbalance? Torsion spring, similar to the type
found on a clothespin? Hard for the lid to slam
shut if it wants to open.

He could use a torsion spring for a garage door - he'd never have to
worry about the lid closing too fast...or at all.

Sound of Car Door Slamming JimL Home Repair 27 August 16th 06 07:56 PM
slamming patio doors Stuart Noble UK diy 0 May 19th 06 11:40 AM
slamming front door. EL4 Home Repair 11 October 17th 05 12:19 PM
Door slamming E UK diy 11 September 8th 05 11:25 AM
Door slamming to hard [email protected] Home Ownership 3 December 27th 04 04:11 PM