Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wanna move that table saw?

No problem:

http://www.berkeleybionics.com/Unrestricted/HULC.html

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking
PDQ PDQ is offline

Seems somebody forgot to check out "Alien"; or, maybe they did, and this is the result.
P D Q

"Swingman" wrote in message ...
No problem:

http://www.berkeleybionics.com/Unrestricted/HULC.html

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote:

No problem:

http://www.berkeleybionics.com/Unrestricted/HULC.html

A system for use by medical personnel was demonstrated last year in Japan.
IIRC, they had a nurse lifting patients. They figure they will need robots
to help care for the aging Japanese population.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 31, 9:07 am, "Swingman" wrote:
No problem:

http://www.berkeleybionics.com/Unrestricted/HULC.html

I was wondering where Waldo was. Some of them will even help you rip
off a car door...assuming you have a pressing need to rip off car
doors. http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/Scienc...asp?NewsNum=72

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message ...
No problem:

http://www.berkeleybionics.com/Unrestricted/HULC.html

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

A friend of mine sent me this link. The impressive part is how
smoothly it moves.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/25/s...tening-reality

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lobby Dosser" wrote
"Swingman" wrote:

No problem:

http://www.berkeleybionics.com/Unrestricted/HULC.html

A system for use by medical personnel was demonstrated last year in Japan.
IIRC, they had a nurse lifting patients. They figure they will need robots
to help care for the aging Japanese population.

A practical application for sure ... and fresh on our minds from SWMBO and I
recently taking care of her Dad the last six months of his life. Mobility,
along with help with bodily functions, are what most families have to pay
some third party dearly to do for their elderly relatives if they themselves
are not trained to do so.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 31 May 2008 20:25:34 -0700, Dan Coby wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in message
No problem:

http://www.berkeleybionics.com/Unrestricted/HULC.html

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

A friend of mine sent me this link. The impressive part is how smoothly
it moves.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/25/s...leton-becomes-

a-frightening-reality

The interesting thing about the HULC is that it's being aimed at
commercial sale. And that it will carry its own power source with it.

That Sarcos exoskeleton is great but look at the bundle of cables hanging
off the back...
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Dan Coby" wrote in
m:

"Swingman" wrote in message
No problem:

http://www.berkeleybionics.com/Unrestricted/HULC.html

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

A friend of mine sent me this link. The impressive part is how
smoothly it moves.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/25/s...leton-becomes-
a-frightening-reality

George Lucas was right ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
No problem:

http://www.berkeleybionics.com/Unrestricted/HULC.html

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

A friend of mine sent me this link. The impressive part is how smoothly
it moves.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/25/s...leton-becomes-

a-frightening-reality

The interesting thing about the HULC is that it's being aimed at
commercial sale. And that it will carry its own power source with it.

That Sarcos exoskeleton is great but look at the bundle of cables hanging
off the back...

The video claims that the final Sarcos product was be completely self contained.
We will see how things finally work out. (Was I the only person that thought that
the suit from the IronMan movie was totally overshadowed by the little power
source?)

As I said, my friend and I were very impressed by how naturally the Sarcos
unit operates. It makes the 'loader' from Aliens look 'clunky'.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 14:07:05 -0700, Dan Coby wrote:

"PCPaul" wrote in message

The interesting thing about the HULC is that it's being aimed at
commercial sale. And that it will carry its own power source with it.

That Sarcos exoskeleton is great but look at the bundle of cables
hanging off the back...

The video claims that the final Sarcos product was be completely self
contained. We will see how things finally work out. (Was I the only
person that thought that the suit from the IronMan movie was totally
overshadowed by the little power source?)

As I said, my friend and I were very impressed by how naturally the
Sarcos unit operates. It makes the 'loader' from Aliens look 'clunky'.

Servos will do that for you. The Aliens one suffered from the general
movie thing of trying to look like you'd expect 'robot like things' to
look.

Same principle as the Stealth fighter being jet black. It's not the best
colour for the mission it had to fly, but the Generals with the purse
strings *expected* it to be black because it flew at night.

Many industrial robots use the same servo principle so that people can
'train' them to do new tasks. In learning mode a huge multi-ton robot
just sits quietly and you can push and twist it around as if it weighed
nothing. After the training it can do the same moves again with uncanny
human-like movements, even with huge loads on it or at multiplied speeds.
Spooky to watch.