Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Plane anatomy

Curious if anyone knows why the "frog" is named as such on a hand plane?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 29 May 2008 14:50:15 -0400, DanielMatt
wrote:

Curious if anyone knows why the "frog" is named as such on a hand plane?

My money is on the fact that "fragere' is a latin verb meaning "to
break".

Regards,

Tom

Thos.J.Watson - Cabinetmaker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
www.home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Curious if anyone knows why the "frog" is named as such on a hand plane?

It's from the French who invented the plane. The original word was
grenuille. The English, after one of their raids into France, stole
the plane for themselves. When the grenuille broke of in the
demonstrator's hand causing a nasty gash he swore 'Damn Frogs' meaning
the French. Everyone in earshot heard 'frog' thinking the broken part
and the name stuck ever since.

Just another history lesson.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

DanielMatt wrote:
Curious if anyone knows why the "frog" is named as such on a hand plane?

I've always assumed it was from the similarity in shape to the frog of a
horse's foot but I couldn't find any reference to that in conjunction w/
the frog of a plane.

frog–noun Zoology.
a triangular mass of elastic, horny substance in the middle of the sole
of the foot of a horse or related animal.
[Origin: 1600–10; cf. earlier frush in same sense

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DanielMatt" wrote in message
.. .
Curious if anyone knows why the "frog" is named as such on a hand plane?

My shop teacher said it was because it loked like a frog

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DanielMatt" wrote

Curious if anyone knows why the "frog" is named as such on a hand plane?

The story is that the term was invented by a worker at Stanleys who said
'The plane has a frog in its throat'.
--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron

Posted to rec.woodworking

Curious if anyone knows why the "frog" is named as such on a hand plane?

I dunno if it has any relation but the scabbard we held our bayonets in
for our SLRs (OZ army Vietnam era) was also called a frog. Strange the
stuff you remember.
Can't forget the stuff you want to forget though. I'm not claiming to
have been there, I wasn't. I missed it by a single draft.

Mekon

--
Mekon

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Curious if anyone knows why the "frog" is named as such on a hand plane?

It's from the French who invented the plane. The original word was
grenuille. The English, after one of their raids into France, stole
the plane for themselves. When the grenuille broke of in the
demonstrator's hand causing a nasty gash he swore 'Damn Frogs' meaning
the French. Everyone in earshot heard 'frog' thinking the broken part
and the name stuck ever since.

Just another history lesson.

Sure. Except that I seem to recall reading in several places that
planes go back a bit further than either the French or the English.
One source had India, IIRC, while another had Greece.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"DanielMatt" wrote in message
.. .
Awesome Thanks, I thought it had something to do with the French.
Honestly, sounds kind of like legend, but reasonable enough to believe

Thanks a lot :thumbup:

wrote:

Curious if anyone knows why the "frog" is named as such on a hand

plane?

It's from the French who invented the plane. The original word was
grenuille. The English, after one of their raids into France, stole
the plane for themselves. When the grenuille broke of in the
demonstrator's hand causing a nasty gash he swore 'Damn Frogs' meaning
the French. Everyone in earshot heard 'frog' thinking the broken part
and the name stuck ever since.

Just another history lesson.

www.e-woodshop.net/images/watermark.gif

IOW, a suspect "history lesson", at best.

A "grenouille" in French _is_ a "frog" (and, in particular, connotes a
"green" one, where I grew up in South Louisiana).

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 29, 2:50 pm, DanielMatt wrote:
Curious if anyone knows why the "frog" is named as such on a hand plane?

If you look at one in profile it resembles the amphibian
with which it shares a name. A ceramic or metal holder
that supports and positions a flower stem in the bottom
of a vase is also called a frog, perhaps for similar reasons.

--

FF
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sure. Except that I seem to recall reading in several places that
planes go back a bit further than either the French or the English.
One source had India, IIRC, while another had Greece.

Swingman got it. How come you didn't?

Posted to rec.woodworking

There is also a frog that holds a sheathed sword at the wearers side,
on a belt. Don't see how that applies, but it's a possiblity.

http://www.theinnerbailey.com/frogs.htm

Old guy