Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cleaning Debris From Drill Flutes Between Plunges

I have a customer working in a material that sticks in the flutes of the
drill between strokes and doesn't necessarily cause problems, but could...

They want to physically remove the material between strokes without stopping
the rotation of the tooling. I told them to try a very high pressure air
blast nozzle on the tooling but they want a physical method that runs down
the flutes, etc.

Any such tool exist?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote:

I have a customer working in a material that sticks in the flutes of the
drill between strokes and doesn't necessarily cause problems, but could...

They want to physically remove the material between strokes without stopping
the rotation of the tooling. I told them to try a very high pressure air
blast nozzle on the tooling but they want a physical method that runs down
the flutes, etc.

Any such tool exist?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Unless the device you are using is spinning faster than the drill, it
will push material up the flutes, not down them. How about some
sacrificial medium that has enough "body" to push out the waste, but
is soft enough to not overly dull your drill? Or a medium that
lubricates the bit to use before each drilling, to keep the offending
substance from sticking?

Posted to rec.woodworking

on 5/19/2008 2:29 PM Joe AutoDrill said the following:
I have a customer working in a material that sticks in the flutes of the
drill between strokes and doesn't necessarily cause problems, but could...

They want to physically remove the material between strokes without stopping
the rotation of the tooling. I told them to try a very high pressure air
blast nozzle on the tooling but they want a physical method that runs down
the flutes, etc.

Any such tool exist?

In a manufacturing process that uses drills, they use a water based
lubricant that is constantly applied to the drill.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
on 5/19/2008 2:29 PM Joe AutoDrill said the following:
I have a customer working in a material that sticks in the flutes of the
drill between strokes and doesn't necessarily cause problems, but
could...

They want to physically remove the material between strokes without
stopping the rotation of the tooling. I told them to try a very high
pressure air blast nozzle on the tooling but they want a physical method
that runs down the flutes, etc.

Any such tool exist?

In a manufacturing process that uses drills, they use a water based
lubricant that is constantly applied to the drill.

Imagine you are drilling over a well finished piece of MDF and for some
reason, the MF you drill sticks in the flutes and causes problems... I need
to clear the offending "stuck stuff" without contaminating the part below.
Coolant is good for some plastics, almost all metals and a variety of other
materials, but this customer has a substance that is both absorbant and
"stainable" and not powerdery like some woods... Tough problem if the air
blast doesn't work... I thought maybe there was something similar to the
cogsdill that expanded on retraction to force the removal of debris, etc.
Expensive to design, but possibly sellable to this customer.

BTW if it matters, the customer will pay $10k+ for my machines and drill
every 4-5 seconds so this is not a hobby-like application.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
"willshak" wrote in message
m...
[...]

You haven't said the depth or diameter or whether it's a through
hole--if it's six inches across and a sixteenth of an inch deep the
available options are different from if it's a sixteenth of an inch in
diameter and six inches deep.

Have you determined the process that is resulting in the sticking
(like is something melting and solidifying or is there a permanently
tacky layer within the workpiece or is it all just naturally
sticky--what works for one problem won't necessarily work for
another).

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Work with vacuum at the drill bit + short stiff brush like dead or new
tooth brush.
Keep hands away. Retract drill frequently whilst all of this is going
on. If the work is not clamped down and against a fence you will be in
for an ER visit.

Drills far more than routs:|
www.patwarner.com
************************************************** *******************************8

On May 19, 11:29*am, "Joe AutoDrill" wrote:
I have a customer working in a material that sticks in the flutes of the
drill between strokes and doesn't necessarily cause problems, but could...

They want to physically remove the material between strokes without stopping
the rotation of the tooling. *I told them to try a very high pressure air
blast nozzle on the tooling but they want a physical method that runs down
the flutes, etc.

Any such tool exist?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:http://www.AutoDrill.com
Multiple Spindle Drills:http://www.Multi-Drill.com

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
Work with vacuum at the drill bit + short stiff brush like dead or new
tooth brush.
Keep hands away. Retract drill frequently whilst all of this is going
on. If the work is not clamped down and against a fence you will be in
for an ER visit.

This is for an automated process with no manual inputs. automatically
loaded part, stroked machine, etc... No human interaction within 30'

So it has to be some type of automated process... Or a very tiny person
with lots of health and life insurance and a death wish.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 19 May 2008 19:35:17 +0000, Joe AutoDrill wrote:

This is for an automated process with no manual inputs. automatically
loaded part, stroked machine, etc... No human interaction within 30'

So it has to be some type of automated process... Or a very tiny person
with lots of health and life insurance and a death wish.

How about changing the bit(s)?

This looks like it deals with the chip clearance/no clogging issue better
than a standard wood drill would..

http://www.bamanufacturing.com/rrh_series.html

Are they definitely closed to any sort of non-mechanical process like
through-coolant lubrication that might cut down on the clogging?

There are quite a few patents that talk about anti-clogging and clog-
clearing devices so somebody out there must have actually made one at
some point - they can't all be patent trolls, can they?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote:

This is for an automated process with no manual inputs.
automatically loaded part, stroked machine, etc... No human
interaction within 30'

Sounds pretty straight forward to automate.

Think 1" dia, automation cylinders and 80-100 PSIG shop air.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
: I have a customer working in a material that sticks in the flutes of the
: drill between strokes and doesn't necessarily cause problems, but could...

: They want to physically remove the material between strokes without stopping
: the rotation of the tooling. I told them to try a very high pressure air
: blast nozzle on the tooling but they want a physical method that runs down
: the flutes, etc.

Here's an idea:

I'm picturing a simple twist bit drill bit.

Take a ball bearing with inner diameter larger than the drill bit.
Place wire brushes on the inside that fits around the shank of the
drill bit and into the flutes. The brushes have to be soft/flexible
enough not to dull the bit, but firm enough to clean out the flutes.
The collar sits on the drill bit above the work piece. The inside of
the bearing is "attached" to the drill bit by the friction and
pressure of the brushes, and the outside of the bearing is attached to
an arm that holds it above the workpiece.

When the drill bit spins up, the inner collar spins with it, since it
is not fixed to anything other than the drill bit. The brushes are
stationary with respect to the spinning drill bit (spinning at the
same speed). When the drill moves down into the work piece and up out
of it, the brushes follow the flutes and clean out the gunk.

Let me know how this works,

--- Chip

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chip Buchholtz" wrote in message
Joe AutoDrill wrote:
[...]

You make it and I'll try to sell it to my customer... Seriously.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
: "Chip Buchholtz"

: When the drill bit spins up, the inner collar spins with it, since it
: is not fixed to anything other than the drill bit. The brushes are
: stationary with respect to the spinning drill bit (spinning at the
: same speed). When the drill moves down into the work piece and up out
: of it, the brushes follow the flutes and clean out the gunk.

: You make it and I'll try to sell it to my customer... Seriously.

Sorry, sounds too much like work. Besides, my father's the automated
production machinery designer. I'm the computer guy.

If you're having trouble visualizing it I'll send you a drawing.

--- Chip
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote:

I have a customer working in a material that sticks in the flutes of the
drill between strokes and doesn't necessarily cause problems, but could...

They want to physically remove the material between strokes without stopping
the rotation of the tooling. I told them to try a very high pressure air
blast nozzle on the tooling but they want a physical method that runs down
the flutes, etc.

Any such tool exist?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

A fixed disk that spins with the drill, and has interior "fingers"
into the flutes. Disk would be constrained from vertical movement by
fixed plates above and below the disk (with bearings either on these
fixed plates or in the disk, so that the disk can be constrained from
vertical movement but still be allowed to spin freely with the drill).
on the return stroke after drilling, the drill would retract as far as
it can leaving the disk just engaged, and the disk will sweep out the
debris.

I'll call to give you address to send the royalty payments. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

A fixed disk that spins with the drill, and has interior "fingers"
into the flutes. Disk would be constrained from vertical movement by
fixed plates above and below the disk (with bearings either on these
fixed plates or in the disk, so that the disk can be constrained from
vertical movement but still be allowed to spin freely with the drill).
on the return stroke after drilling, the drill would retract as far as
it can leaving the disk just engaged, and the disk will sweep out the
debris.

I'll call to give you address to send the royalty payments. ;-)

LOL... Royalty... You can't prove a royal bloodline in an e-mail! G
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

Normally I simply touch the bit with my finger or a piece of wood while it
is spinning.
That is probably not going to be a reasonable solution.

What if the bit was Teflon coated.

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
I have a customer working in a material that sticks in the flutes of the
drill between strokes and doesn't necessarily cause problems, but could...

They want to physically remove the material between strokes without
stopping the rotation of the tooling. I told them to try a very high
pressure air blast nozzle on the tooling but they want a physical method
that runs down the flutes, etc.

Any such tool exist?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
I have a customer working in a material that sticks in the flutes of the
drill between strokes and doesn't necessarily cause problems, but could...

They want to physically remove the material between strokes without stopping
the rotation of the tooling. I told them to try a very high pressure air
blast nozzle on the tooling but they want a physical method that runs down
the flutes, etc.

Any such tool exist?

I use a soft wire brush. A rotating wire brush might do the job while
the drill is rotating.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Profanity is the one language all
programmers know best.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 19 May 2008 18:39:37 -0400, Gerald Ross wrote:

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
I have a customer working in a material that sticks in the flutes of the
drill between strokes and doesn't necessarily cause problems, but could...

They want to physically remove the material between strokes without stopping
the rotation of the tooling. I told them to try a very high pressure air
blast nozzle on the tooling but they want a physical method that runs down
the flutes, etc.

Any such tool exist?

I use a soft wire brush. A rotating wire brush might do the job while
the drill is rotating.

Good thought, Gerald... Maybe make the brush(s) inside some type of rotating
collar/drill guide, so that the bit passes through it on both the in and out
stroke?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

A hollow drill (coolant ports), use air. Or an carbide insert drill, less
twist in the shank. Air again.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 19, 11:29*am, "Joe AutoDrill" wrote:
I have a customer working in a material that sticks in the flutes of the
drill ...

They want to physically remove the material between strokes without stopping

Two solutions haven't been mentioned yet: you could use
a nylon-bristle circular brush, driven at such speed that
the drill leading edge won't catch it, at an angle so that
it pushes the chips along the flutes. Even an idler
brush, with a low-friction bearing, would do (the drill
friction will start it up) if you don't mind extra wear.

And in addition to an air blast, you could put some mild abrasive
into that air stream (like coarse sawdust or soap powder).
That adds to the mess, of course, but it WILL scour
without hurting the edge.

Cleaning Debris From Flutes Between Drill Plunges... Joe AutoDrill Metalworking 3 May 19th 08 09:00 PM
drill bit,drill rod,core barrel,core drilling tools, drill tube, DTH hammer and bit, drag bit, thread bit, taper bit,taper rod,integral drill rod,drill steel, button bit, shank adapter,extension rod, speed rod, rock drill, handheld ,pneumatic, motor- [email protected] Home Ownership 0 September 19th 06 03:57 AM
Turning flutes mac davis Woodturning 2 January 30th 06 09:24 PM
Flutes questions David Woodworking 7 January 6th 06 08:11 PM
slot cutters, are more flutes better? Routerman P. Warner Woodworking 0 September 11th 03 01:58 PM