Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Framing nailer

Bout a Porter Cable nailer from the great Home Depot. I asked for some
framing nails. The fellow give me a box of them and said this was what I
needed.

Well, I get back to the farm, some 80 miles away. Open up the owners manual
and it tells me to use 22 degree round head nails. I look at the box and it
is 30 degree full head nails.

Question, will it make any difference if I use the 30 degree or should I be
prepared to go back to Home Depot and give the manager a piece of my mind.
AGAIN!

--
I'm JC and I approved this message.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 18 May 2008 15:46:37 GMT, "JC"
wrote:

Bout a Porter Cable nailer from the great Home Depot. I asked for some
framing nails. The fellow give me a box of them and said this was what I
needed.

Well, I get back to the farm, some 80 miles away. Open up the owners manual
and it tells me to use 22 degree round head nails. I look at the box and it
is 30 degree full head nails.

Question, will it make any difference if I use the 30 degree or should I be
prepared to go back to Home Depot and give the manager a piece of my mind.
AGAIN!

Some nailers can use several different types of nails, most can't. If
yours doesn't say it can use 30 degree nails, I wouldn't use them.

You have NOWHERE that sells (or can get) framing nails, less than 80
miles away? Maybe a rental house, farm supply, hardware store, or
local lumber yard? 22 degree framing nails aren't exactly space
shuttle parts.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

None that are open on Sunday. Thanks for the response. Appreciate it.

JC

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "JC" wrote:
Bout a Porter Cable nailer from the great Home Depot. I asked for some
framing nails. The fellow give me a box of them and said this was what I
needed.

And you believed him? :-)

Well, I get back to the farm, some 80 miles away. Open up the owners manual
and it tells me to use 22 degree round head nails. I look at the box and it
is 30 degree full head nails.

Question, will it make any difference if I use the 30 degree

You can't, even if you try. They won't fit in the gun. But the bigger issue is
clipped head vs. full head: if you try to shoot full-head nails in a
clipped-head gun, you'll damage the gun.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"JC" wrote in message
m...
Bout a Porter Cable nailer from the great Home Depot. I asked for some
framing nails. The fellow give me a box of them and said this was what I
needed.

Well, I get back to the farm, some 80 miles away. Open up the owners
manual and it tells me to use 22 degree round head nails. I look at the
box and it is 30 degree full head nails.

Question, will it make any difference if I use the 30 degree or should I
be prepared to go back to Home Depot and give the manager a piece of my
mind. AGAIN!

--
I'm JC and I approved this message.

My bet is next time you will be sure before you leave to store!
You can not trust the droids at most any home store.
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "JC"
wrote:
Bout a Porter Cable nailer from the great Home Depot. I asked for some
framing nails. The fellow give me a box of them and said this was what I
needed.

And you believed him? :-)

Well, I get back to the farm, some 80 miles away. Open up the owners
manual
and it tells me to use 22 degree round head nails. I look at the box and
it
is 30 degree full head nails.

Question, will it make any difference if I use the 30 degree

You can't, even if you try. They won't fit in the gun. But the bigger
issue is
clipped head vs. full head: if you try to shoot full-head nails in a
clipped-head gun, you'll damage the gun.

Thanks much. Appreciate it. Back to the old Depot.

JC

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg O" wrote in message
m...

My bet is next time you will be sure before you leave to store!
You can not trust the droids at most any home store.
Greg

Yeah - sometimes they are no better than the droids that come in there
expecting them to know everything that they themselves don't know. Bet it
said right on the box, the proper nails to use in the gun. Bet that wasn't
enough...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

JC wrote:

None that are open on Sunday.

I've felt that pain...
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:

My bet is next time you will be sure before you leave to store!
You can not trust the droids at most any home store.
Greg

Yeah - sometimes they are no better than the droids that come in there
expecting them to know everything that they themselves don't know. Bet it
said right on the box, the proper nails to use in the gun. Bet that wasn't
enough...

Asking someone who works in a hardware store is the wrong approach if you
don't know yourself? Expecting people who do something for a living to know
what they're talking about is a poor policy? I grant you that believing
what anyone at Hell Depot says is a long shot, but that's more about how
poorly that company is run than it is about this particular customer's
wisdom.

Posted to rec.woodworking

JC wrote:
None that are open on Sunday.

"B A R R Y" wrote:

I've felt that pain...

That's why beer exists.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

JC wrote:
None that are open on Sunday.

"B A R R Y" wrote:

I've felt that pain...

That's why beer exists.

Lew

I'm frew fo da day. After steaming for awhile I had the same idee. Now, 3.5
six packs later, I'm callin it a day. I'll git the damn nails tommorie.

Thinks for y'alls hep.

An yea I tipe better'n I spill, sepll, aw hell you know what I meen.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lou Lou is offline

On May 18, 6:21 pm, "JC" wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

JC wrote:
None that are open on Sunday.

"B A R R Y" wrote:

I've felt that pain...

That's why beer exists.

Lew

I'm frew fo da day. After steaming for awhile I had the same idee. Now, 3.5
six packs later, I'm callin it a day. I'll git the damn nails tommorie.

Thinks for y'alls hep.

An yea I tipe better'n I spill, sepll, aw hell you know what I meen.

When you go back to the store, calmly ask the store manager to pay for
your gas. He'll say no, then ask him if he takes responsibility for
the people
he hires or is he just as ignorant as the people he hires. If his
employees
cost you that much money for their mistakes why should you pay for
them.
If it's just human error,, remember it's his humans not yours. And if
he doesn't
like the idea, tell him what your time is worth. If he still refuses
to make it up
to you, don't accidentally trip into a display that could break on the
way out.
After all it's only human error.
Lou
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 18, 12:28*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:

You can't, even if you try. They won't fit in the gun. But the bigger issue is
clipped head vs. full head: if you try to shoot full-head nails in a
clipped-head gun, you'll damage the gun.

Not always.

My Paslode fires clipped or round.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"DGDevin" wrote in message
Mike Marlow wrote:

My bet is next time you will be sure before you leave to store!
You can not trust the droids at most any home store.
Greg

Yeah - sometimes they are no better than the droids that come in there
expecting them to know everything that they themselves don't know. Bet it
said right on the box, the proper nails to use in the gun. Bet that
wasn't enough...

Asking someone who works in a hardware store is the wrong approach if you
don't know yourself? Expecting people who do something for a living to
know what they're talking about is a poor policy? I grant you that
believing what anyone at Hell Depot says is a long shot, but that's more
about how poorly that company is run than it is about this particular
customer's wisdom.

You pose a good point. I should have phrased my response better. Yes - I
do believe those people should be knowledgeable to some high degree. That
said, tools like that specify the proper nail. They even typically put it
on the box. I don't dismiss the obligation of a store to hire, train and
maintain educated staff, but at the same time, I don't dismiss the
obligation of the buyer to assume the most basic of responsibilities. Such
as... read the box.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lou" wrote in message

When you go back to the store, calmly ask the store manager to pay for
your gas. He'll say no, then ask him if he takes responsibility for
the people
he hires or is he just as ignorant as the people he hires. If his
employees
cost you that much money for their mistakes why should you pay for
them.
If it's just human error,, remember it's his humans not yours. And if
he doesn't
like the idea, tell him what your time is worth. If he still refuses
to make it up
to you, don't accidentally trip into a display that could break on the
way out.
After all it's only human error.
Lou

I really want to be there to watch the next time you screw up in that human
sort of way. $100 right here and now says you don't hold yourself to the
same standard. Lots of talk...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 18, 9:58 pm, "Mike Marlow" wrote:

I really want to be there to watch the next time you screw up in that human
sort of way. $100 right here and now says you don't hold yourself to the
same standard. Lots of talk...

AMEN, Mike. No ****. That has ALWAYS been my experience in working
with vendors, employees, clients.... pretty much everyone. The more
intolerant, self righteous and indignant they get about someone else's
mistakes, the easier they are on themselves.

At least we didn't have to read the patented, copyrighted, "pimple
faced kid" story in that load of crap. He could have told a great
story of how he planned to humiliate and embarass some kid in an entry
level position.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lou Lou is offline

"Lou" wrote in message

[...]

I'll take that bet anytime, anywhere. You're not worth a damn if you
don't hold yourself to a high
standard. The same goes for all of your crew, employee's even family.
I don't make stupid mistakes
that cost others that I'm not willing to take responsibility for and I
don't let other walk away
from it either. If you're not willing to take responsibility for what
you do then you should sit at home.
Lou
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lou" wrote in message

I really want to be there to watch the next time you screw up in that
human
sort of way. $100 right here and now says you don't hold yourself to the
same standard. Lots of talk...

--

-Mike-

I'll take that bet anytime, anywhere. You're not worth a damn if you
don't hold yourself to a high
standard.

Yeah, seeking revenge and lowering yourself to a lower level sounds like the
kind of "High Standard" I can easily do with out.

The same goes for all of your crew, employee's even family.
I don't make stupid mistakes
that cost others that I'm not willing to take responsibility for and I
don't let other walk away
from it either. If you're not willing to take responsibility for what
you do then you should sit at home.
Lou

Yeah, I bet you are judge of all of that also.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
On May 18, 12:28 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:

You can't, even if you try. They won't fit in the gun. But the bigger
issue is
clipped head vs. full head: if you try to shoot full-head nails in a
clipped-head gun, you'll damage the gun.

Not always.

My Paslode fires clipped or round.

AND IIRC nothing was said about clipped head nails in the first place.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lou" wrote in message

[...]

Calm down everybody, I've solved the problem. Just before I called it a day
yesterday, and after the 3.5 sixpacks of Bud, I thought to myself, this is
not a problem. So, I loaded up the 30 degree nails into the 22 degree nail
gun, tilted the nail gun an additional 8 degrees and everything went fine.

JC

PS: Don't try this at home, especially when sober.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 19, 9:33 am, "JC" wrote SOMETHING:

RIGHT, HE SAID "ROUND" AND "FULL" (op)

And, if you have to drive 80 miles to find a Home Depot to save a few
bucks, you need be prepared to read the box and manual/instructions
yourself.

With what they pay HD/Lowes employees, expecting English Comprehension
is going a bit far!

In my experience the three words they find most difficult to express
a 1. I, 2. Don't, 3. Know. A close second are the next four 1. But,
2. I'll, 3. Find, 4. Out (pardon me for counting contractions as a
single word.

I've had these guys go on for several minutes talking around the point

But blaming them for selling you the wrong box of clearly-marked nails
is a stretch.

As someone else suggested, visit a nai/nail-gun distributor if you
need expert advice and intend to rely upon the information offered by
the employees. You will also be doing a solid for American Small
Business's

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Hoosierpopi" wrote:

With what they pay HD/Lowes employees, expecting English
Comprehension
is going a bit far!

Can't comment on Lowes, but can on H/D since I have a friend who works
there.

Things have certainly changed since the founders sold H/D.

Gone are the days when employees were considered assets,

Today, employees are treated as a disposable resource.

The result is a basic 8-5 attitude.

H/D is reaping what they sew.

It is a place I wouldn't want to work.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Hoosierpopi" wrote:

With what they pay HD/Lowes employees, expecting English Comprehension
is going a bit far!

Can't comment on Lowes, but can on H/D since I have a friend who works
there.

Things have certainly changed since the founders sold H/D.

Gone are the days when employees were considered assets,

Today, employees are treated as a disposable resource.

The result is a basic 8-5 attitude.

H/D is reaping what they sew.

It is a place I wouldn't want to work.

Lew

Having been in the big corporate world, let me explain it to you. I can hire
a high school drop out for 5.50 an hour. They'll work pretty hard looking
for raises. So, I give them three bumps over the course of maybe 18 months.
By that time they have reached their comfort level and we're not going to
get any more out of them. So, it's much cheaper to let them go and start
over again with a new high school drop out. Now, I was with a very large
nationwide insurance company and that's how we did it so you can imagaine
how a lumber yard would do it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 19 May 2008 20:32:37 GMT, "JC"
wrote:

Having been in the big corporate world, let me explain it to you. I can hire
a high school drop out for 5.50 an hour.

In my state, that would be $7.65/hr. G

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

"JC" wrote:

Having been in the big corporate world, let me explain it to you.

BTDT, having been an employee of one of the Forbes top 5, which is why
I'm self employed these days.

Now, I was with a very large nationwide insurance company and that's
how we did it so you can imagaine how a lumber yard would do it.

If you are referring to Nationwide Ins, Columbus, Oh, having had a
couple of relatives who are agents, can probably swap lies with you on
an even basisG

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"JC" wrote in message
m...

Having been in the big corporate world, let me explain it to you. I can
hire a high school drop out for 5.50 an hour. They'll work pretty hard
looking for raises. So, I give them three bumps over the course of maybe
18 months. By that time they have reached their comfort level and we're
not going to get any more out of them. So, it's much cheaper to let them
go and start over again with a new high school drop out. Now, I was with a
very large nationwide insurance company and that's how we did it so you
can imagaine how a lumber yard would do it.

The insurance "corporate world" hiring high school drop outs explains a lot,
and confirmed many of my suspicions. I'm betting many of those drop outs
are in charge now.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"JC" wrote in message

Calm down everybody, I've solved the problem. Just before I called it a
day yesterday, and after the 3.5 sixpacks of Bud, I thought to myself,
this is not a problem. So, I loaded up the 30 degree nails into the 22
degree nail gun, tilted the nail gun an additional 8 degrees and
everything went fine.

Perfect!

--

-Mike-

Framing Nailer [email protected] Woodworking 5 May 17th 08 10:41 AM
Framing nailer Moo[_2_] Home Repair 9 April 7th 08 02:33 AM
Framing nailer, why all the different angles? # Fred # Woodworking 3 January 10th 07 12:46 PM
HF Framing Nailer Andrew Barss Woodworking 26 June 7th 06 01:42 AM
framing nailer [email protected] UK diy 1 February 7th 05 09:40 AM