Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wind gizmos

I'm looking for plans to make some kind of wind driven gizmo/toy to place
around a small pond/lake to hopefully frighten Canadian Honkers away.
RM~

Posted to rec.woodworking

Rob Mills wrote:
: I'm looking for plans to make some kind of wind driven gizmo/toy to place
: around a small pond/lake to hopefully frighten Canadian Honkers away.

I hear that there's stuff sold for this called "flash tape", which
flutters in the wind, makes noise, and reflects light in different
colors. Birds don't get used to it because it doesn't repeat itself.
I've also heard that some people have had success by hanging old CDs
so that they reflect light. I've never tried this myself; I heard
about it on a gardening program I listen to.

Bird Scare Flash Tape: http://www.biconet.com/birds/flashTape.html
(for example, probably available elsewhere as well)

You Bet Your Garden radio show: http://whyy.org/91FM/ybyg/

Good luck,

--- Chip

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chip Buchholtz wrote:
Rob Mills wrote:
I'm looking for plans to make some kind of wind driven gizmo/toy to
place around a small pond/lake to hopefully frighten Canadian
Honkers away.

I hear that there's stuff sold for this called "flash tape", which
flutters in the wind, makes noise, and reflects light in different
colors. Birds don't get used to it because it doesn't repeat
itself.
I've also heard that some people have had success by hanging old CDs
so that they reflect light. I've never tried this myself; I heard
about it on a gardening program I listen to.

Friend of mine tried the CDs. The birds perched on them.

Bird Scare Flash Tape: http://www.biconet.com/birds/flashTape.html
(for example, probably available elsewhere as well)

You Bet Your Garden radio show: http://whyy.org/91FM/ybyg/

Good luck,

--- Chip

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Rob Mills" wrote:
I'm looking for plans to make some kind of wind driven gizmo/toy to place
around a small pond/lake to hopefully frighten Canadian Honkers away.

Just killfile him.
Posted to rec.woodworking

i think for the CDs you must use heavy metal punk rock or better yet rap
cds.
ross
otherwise try putting out a big plastic owl.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks all!

The CD bit is interesting but honkers are brave, they will look you eye ball
to eye ball and dare you. I was thinking of a weather vain type gizmo with
a noise making propeller. Was more concerned about how to make a prop
hub, the rest should be simple.
The reflective tape on the prop blades might be interesting, it's cheap
enough.

Thanks for the ideas, RM~

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rob Mills" wrote:

The CD bit is interesting but honkers are brave, they will look you
eye ball
to eye ball and dare you.

Far better than guard dogs, guard geese.

You just have to be careful where you walkG.

One spring, the boat yard cat (think junk yard dog type) got a little
too close to a goose and her goslings down by the river.

By the time mama goose got done with that cat, a 12 gauge provided a
merciful end.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ross Hebeisen" wrote in message
i think for the CDs you must use heavy metal punk rock or better yet rap
cds.
ross
otherwise try putting out a big plastic owl.

This is probably best idea, just play some heavy metal through a 100 watt
amp.
I do have some plastic owls and they do slow down the bird traffic on my
back porch.
We also have a pair of trumpeter swans. The swans chase the geese until
they are worn out then go take a nap. : (

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 17, 10:49 am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"Rob Mills" wrote:
The CD bit is interesting but honkers are brave, they will look you
eye ball
to eye ball and dare you.

Far better than guard dogs, guard geese.

You just have to be careful where you walkG.

..

Swans are even meaner. Supposedly if geese see a swan in
a pond, they look for another pond. I have seen plastic
swans floating in pond on golf courses, with no geese insight.

Dunno how long you can keep them fooled.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 17, 10:07*am, (Ross Hebeisen) wrote:

i think for the CDs you must use heavy metal

Then you have to use a much stronger wire to hang them.

A single copy of Celine Dijon[sic] will suffice.

Wind up flashlight Jim Home Repair 11 December 27th 07 10:35 PM
Wind Power (OT) John UK diy 226 March 25th 07 10:52 PM
B & Q Wind Turbine The Medway Handyman UK diy 30 January 21st 07 05:35 PM