Posted to rec.woodworking

Default fine polishing wood

HI I was lucky enough to get some good advice a little while back
about various compounds for polishing wood, such as white diamnond
carnuba wax, and tripoli. I forgot to ask, how should you apply these
compounds?
many thanks and best wishes to all,
David
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 16, 12:26 pm, dafyddw wrote:
HI I was lucky enough to get some good advice a little while back
about various compounds for polishing wood, such as white diamnond
carnuba wax, and tripoli. I forgot to ask, how should you apply these
compounds?
many thanks and best wishes to all,
David

various methods.

generally oils that are light enough to be absorbed into the wood are
wiped on, and wiping it on with wet/dry sandpaper (wet sanding) leaves
a really nice surface. some folks like to tank dip the piece, some
even going so far as to use pressure/vacuum to get the oil to
penetrate all the way into the wood. note that this can lead to
loooong cure times....

wax is a wipe on/rub off proposition. if you want to power up the
process a buffer will take a well sanded and sealed piece of wood to a
mirror shine in no time flat, though there is a bit of a learning
curve with the machine grabbing the work and flinging it across the
room. good preparation is a must or you'll end up with pores filled
with black gunk from the buffer that cannot be removed....
Posted to rec.woodworking

dafyddw wrote:
HI I was lucky enough to get some good advice a little while back
about various compounds for polishing wood, such as white diamnond
carnuba wax, and tripoli. I forgot to ask, how should you apply
these
compounds?

If you're polishing with an abrasive then try Surbuf pads on a ROS.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3693

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 17, 7:37*pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
dafyddw wrote:
HI I was lucky enough to get some good advice a little while back
about various compounds for polishing wood, such as white diamnond
carnuba wax, and tripoli. I forgot to ask, how should you apply
these
compounds?

If you're polishing with an abrasive then try Surbuf pads on a ROS.http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3693

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

many thanks for all the help, that gives me some ideas to work with.
cheers y'all
David