Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Oak or Maple for Cabinet legs

I'm trying to bring an old woodrail pinball machine, '55 Williams Three
Deuces, back to life. Unfortunately, the wooden legs that came with the game
aren't the correct ones. Rather than trying to modify the legs I have to
work, requires drilling out the bolt holes, I'm looking at making my own.

The finished dimensions of the legs are 34 1/2"(l) x 2 1/4"(d) x 1 3/4"(w).
The top 6 1/2" inches of each leg is v-grooved to sit on the corner of the
cabinet. The legs are held to the cabinet with 2 - 3/8"x16, 3 1/2" bolts.
There is a 1/8" bolt that goes across the width of the leg about halfway
down the notch which I suspect is used to keep the leg from cracking
vertically along the v-grove. The bottom of the legs is drilled out to
accept leg levelers. The cabinet weighs about 250lbs. I'd probably be
finishing the legs with Varathene.

I'm on the west coast of Canada so it's easier, and cheaper, to get
Western(Big Leaf) Maple(Acer macrophyllum), than Eastern Hard Maple(Acer
saccharum) or any of the Oaks.

My big concern is with the legs bowing or splitting over time and hence am
coming to the group to get some guidance as to which wood to use for the
legs.

Comments?

Thanks in advance,

Alfred

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pin_In_Calgary" wrote in message
[...]

I think you are only going to be concerned with the appearance. Both are
strong woods and neither in my experience has more of a tendency to warp or
bow over the other. Go with your gut.