Posted to rec.woodworking

Default "OT" How many here use Gmail?

I'm thinking seriously about KILLFILING all Gmail and was wondering how many
actual use it to post????

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 13, 12:43*am, evodawg wrote:
I'm thinking seriously about KILLFILING all Gmail and was wondering how many
actual use it to post????

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

I use it. But go ahead, killfile all gmail. You won't miss much. If I
really want to be heard, I have many ways to do so.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article Y%8Wj.66582$5Y1.2907@trnddc04, evodawg wrote:
I'm thinking seriously about KILLFILING all Gmail and was wondering how many
actual use it to post????

It's much more effective to killfile all posts that came through GoogleGroups.

Consider:
1) Nearly all Usenet spam now is posted through GoogleGroups.
2) Many of these spam posts are tagged with email addresses that are NOT at
gmail.com.
3) Many legitimate posters use email addresses at gmail.com but do NOT post
through GoogleGroups.

Thus, killfiling gmail will miss a lot of the spam, and kill a lot of posts
that aren't spam.

How to do this has been discussed extensively on a number of newsgroups,
including this one, in the last month or so.

--
Regards,

Join the UseNet Improvement Project: killfile Google Groups.
http://www.improve-usenet.org

Download Nfilter at http://www.milmac.com/np-120.exe

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

I use it. But go ahead, killfile all gmail. You won't miss much. If I
really want to be heard, I have many ways to do so.

Including that trained seal?

Posted to rec.woodworking

evodawg wrote,on my timestamp of 13/05/2008 2:43 PM:
I'm thinking seriously about KILLFILING all Gmail and was wondering how many
actual use it to post????

Just killfile them:
source of the largest number of Usenet
spam, thanks to the idiots who now
run that place.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
I'm thinking seriously about KILLFILING all Gmail and was wondering how
many actual use it to post????

It's much more effective to killfile all posts that came through
GoogleGroups.

Consider:
1) Nearly all Usenet spam now is posted through GoogleGroups.
2) Many of these spam posts are tagged with email addresses that are NOT
at gmail.com.
3) Many legitimate posters use email addresses at gmail.com but do NOT
post through GoogleGroups.

Thus, killfiling gmail will miss a lot of the spam, and kill a lot of
posts that aren't spam.

How to do this has been discussed extensively on a number of newsgroups,
including this one, in the last month or so.

Took your advice and Killfiled GoogleGroups using the instructions available
through the website you suggested. Guess if any member of gmail posts here
I can always read the replies.

Thanks,
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 13, 6:21 am, Maxwell Lol wrote:
evodawg writes:
I'm thinking seriously about KILLFILING all Gmail and was wondering how many
actual use it to post????

You mean googlegroups, (the web interface thatlets you post USENET)
not GMAIL - which us just email.

p.s. I've been killfilling all posts from googlegroups... The threads
I want to read don't seem to be hindered. I notice in some of the
other newsgroups that some postings are filtered. These are usually
neubies posting questions.... So I see the replies.

I presume he can either filter on the IP address of the machine
that posted, which would allow him to exclude articles posted
through google groups, provided that he has a way to identify
the owner of an IP address, or the domain name of the email
address (or for that matter, any string) in the "From: " header.

So he could do either, both, or neither.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 13, 7:06 am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article Y%8Wj.66582$5Y1.2907@trnddc04, evodawg wrote:
I'm thinking seriously about KILLFILING all Gmail and was wondering how many
actual use it to post????

It's much more effective to killfile all posts that came through GoogleGroups.

Consider:
1) Nearly all Usenet spam now is posted through GoogleGroups.
2) Many of these spam posts are tagged with email addresses that are NOT at
gmail.com.
3) Many legitimate posters use email addresses at gmail.com but do NOT post
through GoogleGroups.

Thus, killfiling gmail will miss a lot of the spam, and kill a lot of posts
that aren't spam.

How to do this has been discussed extensively on a number of newsgroups,
including this one, in the last month or so.

What he said.

Mr Miller is our resident rec.woowdorking killfile expert.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 13, 1:40*pm, Fred the Red Shirt
wrote:
[...]

...and a mood-kill expert. I have never, in any newsgroup ever, in 20
years encountered someone who keeps his nutsack in a bag of dry ice
like Miller. If I woke up in the morning feeling like he does,.....I'd
eat my ex's breakfast and kill myself.