Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tung oil stone

I was applying tung oil on a wooden chair outdoors and got some tiny
drops of tung oil on our flagstone. I would like to know if 1) I can
remove the oil through some manageable method (ie, power washing,
degreaser, but not sanding or sand blasting) or 2) I can use tung oil
to seal the stone or apply some other sealing product which will be
compatible with tung oil. Stone sealers seem to be oil repellant/
resistant when cured but I don't know if the application has to be oil
free. Thanks to any help.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
I was applying tung oil on a wooden chair outdoors and got some tiny
drops of tung oil on our flagstone. I would like to know if 1) I can
remove the oil through some manageable method (ie, power washing,
degreaser, but not sanding or sand blasting) or 2) I can use tung oil
to seal the stone or apply some other sealing product which will be
compatible with tung oil. Stone sealers seem to be oil repellant/
resistant when cured but I don't know if the application has to be oil
free. Thanks to any help

While woodworkers do use tung oil on wood, we probably never use it on
flagstone. I suggest you contact your local rock yard and inquire with
them. Tiny drops should dissipate after a few weeks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 6, 10:48 am, "Leon" wrote:
wrote in message

I was applying tung oil on a wooden chair outdoors and got some tiny
drops of tung oil on our flagstone. I would like to know if 1) I can
remove the oil through some manageable method (ie, power washing,
degreaser, but not sanding or sand blasting) or 2) I can use tung oil
to seal the stone or apply some other sealing product which will be
compatible with tung oil. Stone sealers seem to be oil repellant/
resistant when cured but I don't know if the application has to be oil
free. Thanks to any help

While woodworkers do use tung oil on wood, we probably never use it on
flagstone. I suggest you contact your local rock yard and inquire with
them. Tiny drops should dissipate after a few weeks.

Actually, I've read that tung oil was used to seal the Great
Wall of China, and is still often used to seal stone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tung_oil

http://www.mastergardenproducts.com/tungoil.htm

--

FF
Posted to rec.woodworking

If it'll dissipate in a few weeks I won't worry about it. Or I'll just
flip the stones over. My concern is that it'll dry and polymerize as
it would in wood and become semi-permanent. But If I can find a recipe
for stone sealer using tung oil and make the whole thing look even, I
just might try it. That wiki link seems to suggest 1:5 Tung:Naptha.

On May 6, 10:48*am, "Leon" wrote:
wrote in message

I was applying tung oil on a wooden chair outdoors and got some tiny
drops of tung oil on our flagstone. I would like to know if 1) I can
remove the oil through some manageable method (ie, power washing,
degreaser, but not sanding or sand blasting) or 2) I can use tung oil
to seal the stone or apply some other sealing product which will be
compatible with tung oil. Stone sealers seem to be oil repellant/
resistant when cured but I don't know if the application has to be oil
free. Thanks to any help

While woodworkers do use tung oil on wood, we probably never use it on
flagstone. *I suggest you contact your local rock yard and inquire with
them. *Tiny drops should dissipate after a few weeks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

If it'll dissipate in a few weeks I won't worry about it. Or I'll just
flip the stones over. My concern is that it'll dry and polymerize as
it would in wood and become semi-permanent. But If I can find a recipe
for stone sealer using tung oil and make the whole thing look even, I
just might try it. That wiki link seems to suggest 1:5 Tung:Naptha.

You don't state where you are, but "weathering" will probably take
care of it within a year, especially if a freeze-thaw cycle is
involved.

If you are in ths sun belt, let the UV rays solve the problem.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
I'm in Michigan so freeze-thaw is involved. Glad to hear the stone is
not ruined. Thanks for all the info.

Swarfega might just remove the oil? Apply it in dry conditions though.

What is difference between Arkansas stone and India stone [email protected] Metalworking 12 January 3rd 08 05:20 PM
Tung Oil?? nevems2 Woodworking 4 September 24th 05 02:06 PM
Stone/Synthetic stone kitchen counter tops Mr. Bill Home Repair 6 October 15th 04 08:01 PM
tung oil vs tung oil finish C Carruth Woodworking 5 November 18th 03 04:47 PM
tung oil & oak calebsg Woodworking 3 September 27th 03 01:52 PM