Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Let me try this question here

Have any of you had an occasion to join two 2.0 or 3.0 electric cables
together? If so, what did you use to clamp them together with? Some kind of
(really, really big) crimper, or a clamp, twist tie (G), electrical
tape??????

JC

Posted to rec.woodworking

"JC" wrote in message
Have any of you had an occasion to join two 2.0 or 3.0 electric cables
together? If so, what did you use to clamp them together with? Some kind

of
(really, really big) crimper, or a clamp, twist tie (G), electrical
tape??????

If I understand you correctly, a "Split bolt" is probably what you're
looking for. There is also one (made of plastic?) that doesn't require
wrapping but I have no idea of the name/mfgr.

An electrical supply house is where you want to ask/check to get the best
answer for your purpose.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
"JC" wrote:

Have any of you had an occasion to join two 2.0 or 3.0 electric cables
together? If so, what did you use to clamp them together with? Some kind of
(really, really big) crimper, or a clamp, twist tie (G), electrical
tape??????

I've never attempted anything like this. However, I suspect you'll get
a better set of answers if you give a little more information on your
intended applications. Are you trying to make a whole-house extension
cord? Splice a welder cable? Is the connection subject to mechanical
stresses? High voltages?

Assuming I'm thinking of the right general kind of cable, asking in a
welding group, stagecraft group (think tours with lighting dimmer racks
that need to be tied into the house supply), "high-end" car audio group,
or electrical supply house--depending upon the application--might be
more likely to get good info than rec.woodworking. Enquiring about
applicable local electrical codes might also be a good idea.

--
Andrew Erickson

lose." -- Jim Elliot
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 5, 11:47 am, "JC" wrote:
Have any of you had an occasion to join two 2.0 or 3.0 electric cables
together? If so, what did you use to clamp them together with? Some kind of
(really, really big) crimper, or a clamp, twist tie (G), electrical
tape??????

JC

Go to www.mcmaster.com and search for "Split-Bolt Connectors" to see a
picture.
You can order from there, but your local hardware store will probably
have them too.
Be sure to use copper bolts with copper wire.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bob Kirkpatrick" wrote in message
On May 5, 11:47 am, "JC" wrote:
Have any of you had an occasion to join two 2.0 or 3.0 electric cables
together? If so, what did you use to clamp them together with? Some kind
of
(really, really big) crimper, or a clamp, twist tie (G), electrical
tape??????

JC

Go to www.mcmaster.com and search for "Split-Bolt Connectors" to see a
picture.
You can order from there, but your local hardware store will probably
have them too.
Be sure to use copper bolts with copper wire.

Thanks, appreciate it.

JC

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 05 May 2008 15:47:29 GMT, "JC"
wrote:

Have any of you had an occasion to join two 2.0 or 3.0 electric cables
together?

I see it at work all the time, all the way to 4/0, for 48V DC.

I've seen them welded with a special form, crimped to lugs, and
connected with a heavy clamp-style bolt.

Any decent electrical house should have some options to show you.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Have any of you had an occasion to join two 2.0 or 3.0 electric cables
together?

I see it at work all the time, all the way to 4/0, for 48V DC.

I've seen them welded with a special form, crimped to lugs, and
connected with a heavy clamp-style bolt.

Any decent electrical house should have some options to show you.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

Yep, cad welded (thermite) splices, in-line splicer reducers and gutter
tap connectors.

http://www.dale-electric.com/pdf/page112.pdf

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 5, 8:47*am, "JC" wrote:
Have any of you had an occasion to join two 2.0 or 3.0 electric cables
together? If so, what did you use to clamp them together with? Some kind of
(really, really big) crimper, or a clamp, twist tie (G), electrical
tape??????

Crimpers for this kind of cable are hydraulic; you crimp to a lug,
and the lug bolts to a bus bar. My house breaker box is fed
with two such crimp/lug/bus connections. I believe crimp
couplers are also available, but not common.

If the cables are aluminum, there are electrode pastes and
approved crimp terminals for that.

For a simple splice in Cu wires, the split bolt is recommended.