Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tormek Clones

There have been many discussions on sharpeners and up until lately the
Tormek was considered one of the best. Probably still one of the best but
will we see it disappear? Jet has a clone at a considerable discount as
does Grizzly.

And speaking of Grizzly has any one noticed that the basic $169 Tormek Clone
is made in Germany?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" sayeth:

And speaking of Grizzly has any one noticed that the basic $169 Tormek

Clone
is made in Germany?

Actually, made mental note of that fact yesterday in an ad in my latest, and
most cherished MIL's gift to me - the "Handyman" magazine (where I learned
everything I know).

Hot spit, eh?!

FWIW, I have a Grizzly, low speed, wet grinder that looks almost identical
to the $169 version in the mag, but without the "jig" parts.

I wonder if those jig parts would fit/retrofit and put me in Tormek "clone"
territory?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Leon" sayeth:

And speaking of Grizzly has any one noticed that the basic $169 Tormek

Clone
is made in Germany?

Actually, made mental note of that fact yesterday in an ad in my latest,
and
most cherished MIL's gift to me - the "Handyman" magazine (where I learned
everything I know).

Hot spit, eh?!

FWIW, I have a Grizzly, low speed, wet grinder that looks almost identical
to the $169 version in the mag, but without the "jig" parts.

I wonder if those jig parts would fit/retrofit and put me in Tormek
"clone"
territory?

No kidding? When did you get that sharpener? I would take the support bar
into Rockler and try out the Jet and Tormek jigs and see if they fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Leon" sayeth:

And speaking of Grizzly has any one noticed that the basic $169 Tormek

Clone
is made in Germany?

Actually, made mental note of that fact yesterday in an ad in my latest,
and
most cherished MIL's gift to me - the "Handyman" magazine (where I learned
everything I know).

Hot spit, eh?!

FWIW, I have a Grizzly, low speed, wet grinder that looks almost identical
to the $169 version in the mag, but without the "jig" parts.

Please take it a step farther, what do you think of the Grizzly slow and
wet?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rick Samuel" wrote

Please take it a step farther, what do you think of the Grizzly slow and
wet?

Being Grizzly and does what it does quite well ... I'm just not a fan of wet
grinding in a small shop, but it works fine for knife blades and blades
bigger than chisels/plan irons if the operator is skilled.

I picked up the Grizzly for $25 at a garage sale. I also recently scored an
old Craftsman double shop grinder which showed up in one of my dumpsters ...
put a new cord on it and it works like it was brand new, and will spin for 3
minutes after it is turned off the bearings are that good.

Grinders, which I don't really need/use, somehow seem to find me ...
figures.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Hardinge Clones Cliff Metalworking 0 November 2nd 05 09:04 AM
Hardinge Clones pooch Metalworking 2 November 2nd 05 08:38 AM
Emmert Vise Clones Richard S. Mullin Woodworking 4 February 1st 04 03:03 PM