pooch

Default Hardinge Clones

I'm starting an R&D shop for a startup Medical company.
Does anyone have info on ACRA Tool room lathe's or the Eisen Lathe.
Both are Taiwan made Hardinge clones. Buying a Hardinge new will blow
my budget and I cant find one used with inch metric threading at a
reasonable price.

Brian Lawson

On 1 Nov 2005 11:04:49 -0800, "pooch" wrote:

I'm starting an R&D shop for a startup Medical company.
Does anyone have info on ACRA Tool room lathe's or the Eisen Lathe.
Both are Taiwan made Hardinge clones. Buying a Hardinge new will blow
my budget and I cant find one used with inch metric threading at a
reasonable price.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hey Pooch,

Saw the "Sharp" line in Chicago at IMTS a while back. These clones of
Hardinge were so good as to be indiscernible to my eye. I don't know
anybody with a lathe, although the clones of Bridgeports I see seem
pretty good.

Have a peek at this new Sharp for $19,000 US, versus a Hardinge at
probably 2 to 4 times the $.

http://www.sharp-industries.com/

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
skuke

On 1 Nov 2005 11:04:49 -0800, pooch wrote:

I'm starting an R&D shop for a startup Medical company.
Does anyone have info on ACRA Tool room lathe's or the Eisen Lathe.
Both are Taiwan made Hardinge clones. Buying a Hardinge new will blow
my budget and I cant find one used with inch metric threading at a
reasonable price.

I'm at a medical device startup too. We have a Sharp knee mill and Acra
toolroom lathe. Most of the capital equipment was purchased before my time
so I had no input. They were both purchased used from another med. device
company and have low hours on them. They are for R&D and no production
other than short runs of 20-30 pcs. I have about 25 years R&D experience.

The Acra lathe repeats, is smooth, and is reasonably quiet.

The tail stock is not centered (.0015 TIR). Doesn't sound like much except
I routinely drill holes in the sub .015" range.

The brake doesn't work very well and if I adjust it to work properly, it's
noisy.

The threading stop doesn't repeat to within about .003". That is to say, I
set a stop for the threading and it repeats to within .003". Also, I'm not
sure what the problem is, but to move the lever to a different thread pitch
is difficult. The lever sticks in the current position. When I free it up,
it's hard to get it where I want it to be. Maybe it's just my lathe.

Bearing in the head are quiet and seem to be accurate enough for turning a
good finish and accurate bores. I have only Hardinge 5C collets.

The bolt/cam/wedge thing that tightens the compound at some desired angle
doesn't do a good job of holding. I'll set the compound and CRANK down on
the bolt/cam/wedge thing. Of course the Aloris is now funky and I have to
square it up. When I tighten the 7/8 nut on the Aloris, I have to do it
VERY gradually otherwise the compound will slip and I will have the wrong
angle. Sorta frustrating and time consuming.

The collet closer doesn't have quite the same "snap" and feel as a Royal
closer. I don't know how to explain it, but the Royals are nicer.

It came with a Heidenhein DRO. I don't like it. It has two tool offsets
which makes multiple tools on the Aloris awkward. Get a Sony DRO. They
have ten offsets!

FWIW, at my previous company (another med startup), I had a Hardinge
toolroom HLV from 1962. It was about as good as the Acra and the threading
stop repeated to within .0005".

I've worked on a fair number of Bridegport mills, their clones and Harding
lathes and their clones. In short, I think the BP and Hardinge clones all
work as well as the originator, when NEW. The difference is 5 years from
now (or sooner with heavy use), the clones DO NOT work as well. The
originators stay accurate longer when mantained. If you're budget limited,
I guess you can only afford what you can afford. Look for a 5-10 year old
Hardinge HLV. That might be similar in price to a new Acra. Yes?? You
might also get some tooling with it that way too!

--
Skuke
Reverse the domain name to send email