Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Craftsman Radial arm saw cost?

I am drooling over a craftman radial arm saw at the pawn shop down the
street. I would guess it has a 3 or 4 foot table, maybe larger, with 6 or
8 drawers underneath. They want 200 but I suspect 125 would do it..... it
that a fair price?

LLB

Posted to rec.woodworking

I pick up a lot of good tools at pawn shops. I always spend time
checking everything out and running the motor. Prices can be a whole
lot lower than what they're listed as. I usually ask myself what it's
worth to me and make an offer. I picked up a $350 router for $80 and
it runs better than any power tool I have. It was marked at $150. I
also picked up a $240 plate jointer for $75. It was marked as $125.

Some people will complain that pawn shops have stolen tools but the
laws are a lot tighter than they used to be. In the last 3 states
I've lived in, the law states that an ID is required to pawn
something. The store owner has to make a written record of your
identity also. Stolen goods are more likely to show up at flea
markets and e-bay these days.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Most of the time I am looking for used Musical instruments. I know that
sometimes they are stolen... there are cases where they really couldn't be
much else. The problem is that schools don't like to report instruments as
"stolen" it makes the directors look bad... instead they are "missing".
Missing things don't get police reports and so they show up in pawn shops
with no problems.
At that point I just look at the price... if I don't buy it someone else
will.

LLB
wrote in message
I pick up a lot of good tools at pawn shops. I always spend time
checking everything out and running the motor. Prices can be a whole
lot lower than what they're listed as. I usually ask myself what it's
worth to me and make an offer. I picked up a $350 router for $80 and
it runs better than any power tool I have. It was marked at $150. I
also picked up a $240 plate jointer for $75. It was marked as $125.

Some people will complain that pawn shops have stolen tools but the
laws are a lot tighter than they used to be. In the last 3 states
I've lived in, the law states that an ID is required to pawn
something. The store owner has to make a written record of your
identity also. Stolen goods are more likely to show up at flea
markets and e-bay these days.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"LLBrown" wrote in message
I am drooling over a craftman radial arm saw at the pawn shop down the
street. I would guess it has a 3 or 4 foot table, maybe larger, with 6
or 8 drawers underneath. They want 200 but I suspect 125 would do it.....
it that a fair price?

LLB

I would offer $125 and walk away if they don't budge. Then go back next week
and offer again. I bought a Porter Cable router this way, one of the big 3HP
models. It took 4 weeks, but I got my price! Most pawn shops will haggle on
price, more so if the item has been there a while.
I bought a used Sears radial arm saw years ago, I figure now I paid too much
for it. I would save my money for a table saw if it comes down to the choice
of one or the other.
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

I bought a used Sears radial arm saw years ago, I figure now I paid too
much
for it. I would save my money for a table saw if it comes down to the
choice of one or the other.
Greg

Greg,
I have used both and for me, and maybe me alone, I find the radial arm saw
much eaiser to use... it cuts right where I want it to cut and gives me a
"dry run" before I crank down the blade. Most of the people on the list
feel the way you do about the 2 saws.

Regards,
Leonard

Posted to rec.woodworking

LLBrown wrote:
I am drooling over a craftman radial arm saw at the pawn shop down the
street. I would guess it has a 3 or 4 foot table, maybe larger, with 6 or
8 drawers underneath. They want 200 but I suspect 125 would do it..... it
that a fair price?

I see them on Craig's List all the time for anywhere from $125-200. It depends
on the motivation of the seller more than condition judging from the photos I
saw.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Craftsman Radial Arm Saw SBH Woodworking 27 January 22nd 08 02:09 PM
Craftsman Radial Arm Saw ks Woodworking 22 April 11th 07 01:49 AM
Craftsman Radial Arm Saw V Woodworking 7 January 10th 07 01:53 AM
Radial Arm Saw, Craftsman Booboo Woodworking 0 January 20th 05 07:53 PM
FS: old Craftsman 10" radial arm saw (Toronto) Nigel Burnett Woodworking 3 December 10th 04 03:03 AM