Posted to rec.woodworking

Default HVLP and Rustoleum

Hi all,

I'm about to tackle my second HVLP spray project and need some
advice. I'm using my Harbor Freight HVLP unit (the one that sells for
about $70) and would like to spray an outdoor wrought iron table with
Rustoleum (my apologizes for there being absolutely no wood in this
project!). I have read in various places that Rustoleum can stay
tacky for a long time after spraying so I thought I would thin it with
acetone (acetone and mineral spirits are the two thinners recommended
by the manufacturer). I chose acetone because it is so much more
volatile than mineral spirits and perhaps that will promote faster
drying. So here are my two questions:

1. Has anybody sprayed Rustoleum that has been thinned with mineral
sprirts? If so, does it dry reasonably quickly?

2. Has anybody sprayed any kind of acetone-thinned finish through an
HVLP unit that has lots of plastic parts? I'm worried about the
acetone turning the plastic parts to goo. I still remember well when
I was in college chemistry lab and poured some acetone into a
styrofoam cup and watched the cup melt like the Wicked Witch of the
West!

Thanks in advance,

Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Kevin" wrote in message
[...]

I've sprayed plenty of wrought iron with rustoleum with a conventional
sprayer and with an HVLP unit. I've always used regular paint thinner to
thin with.
I've never experienced any problems with drying. It never occurred to me to
use acetone. I don't think it's a good idea though for the reason you
mentioned.
(plastic parts)

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 19, 3:19*pm, "Max" wrote:
"Kevin" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks Max. I'll stick with regular thinner and return the acetone.

Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Kevin" wrote in message

1. Has anybody sprayed Rustoleum that has been thinned with mineral
sprirts? If so, does it dry reasonably quickly?

2. Has anybody sprayed any kind of acetone-thinned finish through an
HVLP unit that has lots of plastic parts? I'm worried about the
acetone turning the plastic parts to goo. I still remember well when
I was in college chemistry lab and poured some acetone into a
styrofoam cup and watched the cup melt like the Wicked Witch of the
West!

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Rustoleum with mineral spirits is fairly slow drying. Measure drying time in
hours , maybe two or three hours. As for using acetone, sure it will eat a
styrofoam cup, but so will most solvents, gasoline will eat it up, my bet
lacquer thinner will too. Any cautions on your HVLP as for solvents to
avoid? It seems strange to me that you would not be able to use acetone in
your sprayer, but I don't know for sure.
Greg