Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cherry Stain Over Oak??

Hi, My wife bought an oak side table at a yard sale today. It is oak that has been stained
what looks like maybe ash. She would like it to be finished cherry! Is there any way to do
that or am I out of luck? Thanks
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Johnny_A_58" wrote in message
news
Hi, My wife bought an oak side table at a yard sale today. It is oak that
has been stained
what looks like maybe ash. She would like it to be finished cherry! Is
there any way to do
that or am I out of luck? Thanks

Oak looks like ash normally so that would be simple enough to do.

Cherry over oak is probably going to look like something you stained. If
she wants dark, consider fuming the oak. Or send her back out to the yard
sales until she comes back with a cherry table. Personally, I don't see
anything very natural looking coming out of this.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 19:20:53 GMT, Johnny_A_58
wrote:

Hi, My wife bought an oak side table at a yard sale today. It is oak that has been stained
what looks like maybe ash.

How do you stain oak ash? G

To answer you question...

You have two choices:

- Strip the item to bare wood, and stain it the color you'd like.
Follow with a clear coat. Oak stains very nicely and requires no crazy
gyrations to get even coloring.

- Use a tinted clear coat. These are better sprayed, but Minwax
"Polyshades" is a home center product available as a brush-on
formula. Try it on the bottom, in an unseen area, to see if this is
what you want. Brushing on a tinted clear coat is more difficult than
spraying as "lap marks" will show up where the bush marks overlap.

Practice on the bottom of the table.
Practice on the bottom of the table.
Practice on the bottom of the table.
Practice on the bottom of the table.
Practice on the bottom of the table.
Practice on the bottom of the table.
Practice on the bottom of the table.
Practice on the bottom of the table.
Practice on the bottom of the table.
Practice on the bottom of the table.
Practice on the bottom of the table.
Practice on the bottom of the table.
Practice on the bottom of the table.
Practice on the bottom of the table.
Practice on the bottom of the table.
Practice on the bottom of the table.
Practice on the bottom of the table.
Practice on the bottom of the table.

Got it? G

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

Another choice:

I'd try using a gell stain over the ash-colored wood. The cherry tone
will be darker, and gell stains do NOT have to soak into the wood to
work properly. I'd opt for applying it, then quickly removing the
excess. If it is too light, do it again.

If gell stains will stain a fiberglass door, they will stain a
finished wood piece.

And In case you missed Barry's point--

Practice on the bottom of the table, until it your wife approves of
the stain appearance. Then put the finish over part of it and see if
you still like it.

Old Guy
\

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 14:39:27 -0700 (PDT), Old Guy wrote:

If gell stains will stain a fiberglass door, they will stain a
finished wood piece.

Excellent suggestion, better than mine.

I often forget that gel stains work in faux finishing, so they'd
probably work well on finished pieces.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **