Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What stain to use?

Last year my daughter moved to Phoenix and we purchased a used table
and chair set. When the dealer delivered the table, he used a stain?
oil? finish on minor dings on the chair legs and covered the dings by
blending them in with the good finish.It blended together very welll.
Last week I was moving my father-in-laws hope chest and set the chest
on it's side. We tipped it over and broke one of the legs. The chest
is about 60 or 70 years old.
I used Gorilla glue and got it glued back together again. I trimmed
and sanded the glue off of the leg and now need to refinish the leg.
I would like your ideas on what to use to refinish the leg so the glue
joints are a reasonable match with the rest of the leg. I was hoping
you might have an idea of what the furniture dealer used to cover up
the dings on the chairs.

Thanks
Posted to rec.woodworking

"goodfella" wrote

I would like your ideas on what to use to refinish the leg so the glue
joints are a reasonable match with the rest of the leg. I was hoping
you might have an idea of what the furniture dealer used to cover up
the dings on the chairs.

Why don't you give him a call and ask him. You can always say that you
dinged up the chairs and need to do some more repairs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"goodfella" wrote in message
I used Gorilla glue and got it glued back together again. I trimmed
and sanded the glue off of the leg and now need to refinish the leg.
I would like your ideas on what to use to refinish the leg so the glue
joints are a reasonable match with the rest of the leg. I was hoping
you might have an idea of what the furniture dealer used to cover up
the dings on the chairs.

No clue what the dealer used, but I've had good luck just using an oil stain
close in color. From a few feet away, small dings are invisible.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 7, 9:28 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"goodfella" wrote in message
I used Gorilla glue and got it glued back together again. I trimmed
and sanded the glue off of the leg and now need to refinish the leg.
I would like your ideas on what to use to refinish the leg so the glue
joints are a reasonable match with the rest of the leg. I was hoping
you might have an idea of what the furniture dealer used to cover up
the dings on the chairs.

No clue what the dealer used, but I've had good luck just using an oil stain
close in color. From a few feet away, small dings are invisible.

I found out it was Howards Oil. I went ahead and used stain I found
at Menards for a quarter a packet. 4 were just enough to cover it.

Thanks for the input