Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Looking for a small handheld drill

Greetings All,
I'm looking for a small cordless drill mainly for drilling pilot holes and
driving screws. My 18v DeWalt is too large for small work and I keep that
for grunt work. I notice that Nahm has a small P-C and it doesn't look bad.
But since I already have the small Bosch 10.8v Litheon right angle driver,
I'd like to get the companion Pocket Driver (I've noticed that Bosch sells
some of their battery powered tools without the battery and charger, in case
you already have them). My concern is whether the speed is high enough for
drilling. My right angle driver speed is a little slow for the kind of
drilling I plan on doing. Anyone have a Pocket Driver out there? Does it
work as a drill? If all else fails, I'll go with the P-C and just collect
another charger, battery, etc.... Many thanks as always, Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

"mark" wrote in message
Greetings All,
I'm looking for a small cordless drill mainly for drilling pilot holes and
driving screws. My 18v DeWalt is too large for small work and I keep that
for grunt work. I notice that Nahm has a small P-C and it doesn't look
bad. But since I already have the small Bosch 10.8v Litheon right angle
driver, I'd like to get the companion Pocket Driver (I've noticed that
Bosch sells some of their battery powered tools without the battery and
charger, in case you already have them). My concern is whether the speed
is high enough for drilling. My right angle driver speed is a little slow
for the kind of drilling I plan on doing. Anyone have a Pocket Driver out
there? Does it work as a drill? If all else fails, I'll go with the P-C
and just collect another charger, battery, etc.... Many thanks as always,
Mark

There are several choices but the small pocket drivers typically do not have
a regular drill bit chuck and you really need a higher speed for regular
drilling. Impact drivers are a nice complement to a set of drills but are
not great for putting screws in with much finesse. I would steer clear of a
PC drill. At one time they were OK, Norm uses them because PC sponsors his
show. Better choices would be, DeWalt, Makita, Milwaukee, or Bosch, in no
particular order. Additionally I would look for something in the 9.6-12
volt range.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 5, 9:36 am, "Leon" wrote:
"mark" wrote in message

[...]

At the risk of getting flamed look at the Black and Decker Firestorm
FS1202D or a similar model. Comes in a bright orange, has the wrong
name, its only 12V, the charger is a two piece design. BUT it has a
keyless chuck that is removable with just a click to reveal a hex
driver socket, so drill and drive happens very quickly. It has plenty
of power to drill and then driver pocket hole screws into oak and
comes with two batteries. Its lighter than my 18V drill, and well
balanced. Oh and its two speed, reversible and variable speed. And
when the batteries die a new one costs less than a rebuild.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 03:56:51 -0700, Old Guy wrote:

I've got an old Stanly push drill that does those chores for me.

Batteries are not a problem, and when sharp, the bits jump right into
the wood.

Those are great! I've got a couple of Goodell-Pratt models as well as a
Stanley. Quickest screw hole drills I've got.

But then I'm an "old guy" too :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message

I've got an old Stanly push drill that does those chores for me.

Those are great! I've got a couple of Goodell-Pratt models as well as a
Stanley. Quickest screw hole drills I've got.

And if he does want to go electric, Lee Valley has a flex drive for drilling
in tight places.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43411,43417

Posted to rec.woodworking

Howard wrote:

At the risk of getting flamed look at the Black and Decker Firestorm
FS1202D or a similar model. Comes in a bright orange, has the wrong
name, its only 12V, the charger is a two piece design. BUT it has a
keyless chuck that is removable with just a click to reveal a hex
driver socket, so drill and drive happens very quickly. It has plenty
of power to drill and then driver pocket hole screws into oak and
comes with two batteries. Its lighter than my 18V drill, and well
balanced. Oh and its two speed, reversible and variable speed. And
when the batteries die a new one costs less than a rebuild.

But the Cachet, what about the Cachet?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

Years ago, there was a display of small hand tools developed for the
avaiation indusdtry at a boat show.

From memory, think there was a small drill in the package.

Don't have a clue if they are still in business or how to find them,
but might want to start with your local airport for some help in
finding a source.

Since it is avaiation based, don't expect low cost, but will be
quality.

Have fun.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"
There are several choices but the small pocket drivers typically do not
have a regular drill bit chuck and you really need a higher speed for
regular drilling. Impact drivers are a nice complement to a set of drills
but are not great for putting screws in with much finesse. I would steer
clear of a PC drill. At one time they were OK, Norm uses them because PC
sponsors his show. Better choices would be, DeWalt, Makita, Milwaukee, or
Bosch, in no particular order. Additionally I would look for something in
the 9.6-12 volt range.

9.6 v Dewalt drill/driver works great for me, have two on hand so don't
need to change out tip. Bought em rebuilt, $75 each, batt and all.

Posted to rec.woodworking

mark wrote:
Greetings All,
I'm looking for a small cordless drill mainly for drilling pilot
holes and driving screws. My 18v DeWalt is too large for small work
and I keep that for grunt work. I notice that Nahm has a small P-C
and it doesn't look bad. But since I already have the small Bosch
10.8v Litheon right angle driver, I'd like to get the companion
Pocket Driver (I've noticed that Bosch sells some of their battery
powered tools without the battery and charger, in case you already
have them). My concern is whether the speed is high enough for
drilling. My right angle driver speed is a little slow for the kind
of drilling I plan on doing. Anyone have a Pocket Driver out there?
Does it work as a drill? If all else fails, I'll go with the P-C and
just collect another charger, battery, etc.... Many thanks as
always, Mark

Since nobody has mentioned it, do you have an impact driver now (not a
hammer drill)? If not, you might want to look at them carefully.
They tend to be smaller than drills, and turn at higher RPM under no
load (they'll be effectively under "no load" turning a pilot drill)
and for driving screws they're marvelous as long as you pay attention
to what you're doing. You can get a chuck that fits right into the
1/4" hex mount or you can get drill bits that are already hex-mounted
or you can get adapters that take regular hex bits. For pilot holes
you can get hex mount drill/countersink assemblies.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rick Samuel" wrote in message

"
There are several choices but the small pocket drivers typically do not
have a regular drill bit chuck and you really need a higher speed for
regular drilling. Impact drivers are a nice complement to a set of
drills but are not great for putting screws in with much finesse. I
would steer clear of a PC drill. At one time they were OK, Norm uses
them because PC sponsors his show. Better choices would be, DeWalt,
Makita, Milwaukee, or Bosch, in no particular order. Additionally I
would look for something in the 9.6-12 volt range.

9.6 v Dewalt drill/driver works great for me, have two on hand so don't
need to change out tip. Bought em rebuilt, $75 each, batt and all.

Not a bad idea, Rick. Heading to Amazon now to look around.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
mark wrote:
[...]

I never used an impact driver. I thought it was the same as a hammer drill.
I know Bosch sells one, and I already have the batteries and charger. Time
to check it out. Thanks, John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"mark" wrote in message

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
mark wrote:
[...]

Impact drivers are different that a hammer drill in the sense that the
impact motion is pure rotary, and not linear.

I bought a 'small' impact driver a few weeks ago to be used to drive screws,
but I was looking for one that had a typical clutch with settings, rather
than the typical impact driver that just relies on how long you pull the
trigger.

I found a nice 12V Milwaulkie ($125 at the local Borg), that fits the hand
nicely, the battery (comes with two and the charger) is a cylinder type that
fits in the handle so there's no big square heavy battery at the end of the
handle.

The only small downside to the battery fitting in the handle, is that you
can't stand it upright on the bench when you set it down.

Impact drivers come with a 1/4" hex quick-release chuck but you should be
able to find small drills made to fit such a chuck.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"mark" wrote in message

I never used an impact driver. I thought it was the same as a hammer
drill. I know Bosch sells one, and I already have the batteries and
charger. Time to check it out. Thanks, John

You will want to be very careful with an impact driver. You can snap a #8
square drive screw very easily in hard woods.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
.. .

"mark" wrote in message

I never used an impact driver. I thought it was the same as a hammer
drill. I know Bosch sells one, and I already have the batteries and
charger. Time to check it out. Thanks, John

You will want to be very careful with an impact driver. You can snap a #8
square drive screw very easily in hard woods.

That's why I like my Milwaukie. It's got an adjustable clutch just like most
cordless drills.