chris biggs

Default wobbly router

Anyone know what can cause a router collet to become off centred I have a
new dewalt .5 " and when running there is a lot of vibration and as it slows
down you can see the bits wobble from side to side.
Its never been knocked or banged.

P©WÉ®T©©LMAN ²ºº

"chris biggs" wrote in message
Anyone know what can cause a router collet to become off centred I have a
new dewalt .5 " and when running there is a lot of vibration and as it

slows
down you can see the bits wobble from side to side.
Its never been knocked or banged.

Sounds like the bottom bearings ball dividers (race) may be broken allowing
the balls to shift inside the bearing, if so...DO NOT USE, can you move the
shaft sideways in any direction while rotating it by hand at any time? can
you feel any roughness when turning it by hand? does it rotate freely
backwards or feel like some resistance? If you answer yes to any of the
above being new return it to DeWalt service, do not run it like that as the
balls could seize & come to an abrupt stop causing much more damage.

Is there a chance that the shaft of your router bit is bent? with 1/2" shank
it is unlikely but not impossible either.

--
© Jon Down ®

Question about using a router PoP UK diy 6 January 5th 04 01:20 PM
Looking for adapter to go from Craftman router extension to Milwaukee router Rich Woodworking 1 October 30th 03 08:10 PM
Router for router table Todd Fatheree Woodworking 12 September 11th 03 09:30 PM
Making Trim? Bob S. Woodworking 0 September 5th 03 10:05 PM
Porter Cable 690 router mounted to TS extension, do I use plunge base or standard Montyhp Woodworking 3 July 24th 03 02:58 PM