Posted to rec.woodworking

Default thinning water based poly with alcohol

I just saw an article in Wood magazine where the author used denatured
alcohol to "thin" water based poly claiming it allows bubbles to disperse
etc.

Has anyone tried this technique yet? If so, did you brush or spray?

Thanks,

Dennis Slabaugh, Hobbyist Woodworker
www.woodworkinghobby.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
10x 10x is offline

In article , Dennis
wrote:

I just saw an article in Wood magazine where the author used denatured
alcohol to "thin" water based poly claiming it allows bubbles to disperse
etc.

Has anyone tried this technique yet? If so, did you brush or spray?

I haven't heard of the denatured alcohol method, but I read in one of
the woodworking rags where "half & half" coffee creamer worked well to
disperse bubble. That one I did try and was very pleased with the
results.

The formula was up to 1 ounce of "half & half" to a quart of water
based poly. I use a foam brush to apply. It worked for me, but YMMV.

Joe
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dennis wrote:
I just saw an article in Wood magazine where the author used denatured
alcohol to "thin" water based poly claiming it allows bubbles to disperse
etc.

What scares me about that article is that the differences from brand to
brand in WB chemistry are not mentioned. I'd do serious testing with a
specific brand before applying it to something I cared about. Most WB
products have complex chemistry that doesn't take well to freelancing.

On the other hand, I have mixed 30% latex paint with ML Campbell
Ultrastar, to create a pigmented lacquer, which I then sprayed with
excellent results.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dennis wrote:
I just saw an article in Wood magazine where the author used
denatured alcohol to "thin" water based poly claiming it allows
bubbles to disperse etc.

I just pop the bubbles with a torch. Water poly or epoxy. Not sure I
would with oil poly, definitely wouldn't with lacquer

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 17, 7:12 am, B A R R Y wrote:

What scares me about that article is that the differences from brand to
brand in WB chemistry are not mentioned.

I have always thought magazine finishers are pretty dangerous. Great
for some things, horrible for others.

On the other hand, I have mixed 30% latex paint with ML Campbell
Ultrastar, to create a pigmented lacquer, which I then sprayed with
excellent results.

Assuming you applied with your HVLP, did you thin before application?
If so, do you remember roughly how much and with what?

Do you remember which aircap you used?

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 17, 7:50*am, "Dennis" wrote:
I just saw an article in Wood magazine where the author used denatured
alcohol to "thin" water based poly claiming it allows bubbles to disperse
etc.

Has anyone tried this technique yet? If so, did you brush or spray?

Thanks,

Dennis Slabaugh, Hobbyist Woodworkerwww.woodworkinghobby.com

Alcohol will turn some water based products into threads. Long thin
threads.. like poly-ester.
If there is any acidic content, the alcohol will cause you lots of
problems. You run the risk of esterification.

I would do a lot of testing and if the mixture doesn't curdle, re-
visit your test over the course of a couple of years.

water based poly. Gary Woodworking 4 November 23rd 06 05:00 AM
Water based poly problem Brian Mahaney Woodworking 8 February 21st 06 05:33 PM
Water-based poly? Gary Fritz Woodworking 45 November 10th 04 09:18 PM
Denatured Alcohol before Water-based Primer? wendi Home Repair 3 July 7th 04 07:35 PM
Water Based Sealer and Oil based Poly? James Murphy Home Repair 1 August 5th 03 06:10 AM