wendi

Default Denatured Alcohol before Water-based Primer?

After sanding down the gloss of my kitchen cabinet, I vacuumed them. Next,
I tried to clean them with tacky cloth. It didn't work very well. It
doesn't pick up the sand dust in the open grain of my oak cabinets; I
couldn't get to the nook and crankies with the sticky cloth; plus it seems
to leave behind a sticky film. So, instead of tacky cloth, I tried to wipe
the cabinets with mineral spirits and then quickly realize that wouldn't be
good for my water-based primer. So, I switched to denatured alcohol. My
question is, how long should I wait before applying the primer?

thx in advance

George E. Cawthon

wendi wrote:

After sanding down the gloss of my kitchen cabinet, I vacuumed them. Next,
I tried to clean them with tacky cloth. It didn't work very well. It
doesn't pick up the sand dust in the open grain of my oak cabinets; I
couldn't get to the nook and crankies with the sticky cloth; plus it seems
to leave behind a sticky film. So, instead of tacky cloth, I tried to wipe
the cabinets with mineral spirits and then quickly realize that wouldn't be
good for my water-based primer. So, I switched to denatured alcohol. My
question is, how long should I wait before applying the primer?

thx in advance

Let's see, you are putting on a water base primer and the thinner is?
Water! So, you should have used a cloth dampened with water. The bit
of moisture left behind won't make any difference but only slighly
thin what you are applying. Nonetheless, the best procedure is to let
the water dry (like 10 minutes at 70 degrees).
m Ransley

Gee you ask every question in the book. Well Alcohol is Water base
REMOVER. Thinner doesnt affect it. A damp rag would have been best.

wendi

Thx Ransley. I'm experimenting with a lot of stuff. Unfortunately, the
book doesn't tell you everything. Everything looks so easy in the book, in
the seminar, on TV....... I tried to quit half way and asked my contractor
to finish it off... And, he doesn't want to do it himself; but is willing
to lend me his spray equipment. How lucky am I?