Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Woodworking Magazine Index

Many woodworkers on this forum have used this index in the past to
find 'lost' articles buried in several years of woodworking and DIY
magazines they subscribe to. The index now boasts over 20,000 indexed
articles to help you find the topic you are looking for in your
library of magazines all in a matter of seconds. The results can be
printed, and the search parameters are very flexible, allowing
searches by category, issues, phrases and keywords. If it's been a
while since you last used the index, it's only larger now, so check it
out and see if it makes sense for you. You can find the index at
www.woodworkingmagazineindex.com. Let me know what you think or if you
have ideas for improving the index.

Happy sawdustin'
Rick
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 8, 10:55*am, "Garage_Woodworks" .@. wrote:
wrote in message

Many woodworkers on this forum have used this index in the past to
find 'lost' articles buried in several years of woodworking and DIY
magazines they subscribe to. The index now boasts over 20,000 indexed
articles to help you find the topic you are looking for in your
library of magazines all in a matter of seconds. The results can be
printed, and the search parameters are very flexible, allowing
searches by category, issues, phrases and keywords. If it's been a
while since you last used the index, it's only larger now, so check it
out and see if it makes sense for you. You can find the index at
www.woodworkingmagazineindex.com. Let me know what you think or if you
have ideas for improving the index.

Happy sawdustin'
Rick

Have you considered making it free and selling advertisement space?
(google ads etc.)

I just can't see paying for that service.

--www.garagewoodworks.com

Advertising is so often overrated I think. There is so much of it that
people are being conditioned to just ignore the ads. I have another
site I have Google ads on, however it only generates $400 a year with
about 600 visitors a day. This index takes a lot of time to compile,
and if you only subscribe to one or two magazines and don't keep a lot
of back issues, it's probably not worth it to you which is okay. But
if you have a large library, believe me that a lot of people find the
service worth $2 per YEAR. I mean, talk about a bargain . . . again,
for the right customer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hello and welcome to the 21st century. You are living in the age of
AOL my friend. The age of paid services on the web never was and never
will be. How much is it that you pay for Google each year? How often
do you use it? How rich are Sergey and the other guy? As a marketer
myself, who is currently riding a big wave of success myself in my day
job using the market share approach, I can tell you the market share
model is what works today. This index is a fantastic idea but you'll
need to find some way to make dollars on the back-end if you you
expect lot's o' folks to come in the front door. If you try to scale
it up from $2 a year, it is dead at the outset.

Consider what you have learned so far on your other site. Who cares if
Google ads are not great for the advertisers paying for them. You
start by taking the $400 a year you can get from your 600 a day users
and build it up from there.

Assume your 600 per day users visit once a week. That means you have a
total user base of (600 x 7 = 4,200). So you are already collecting
about 10 cents per user already and have a big potential to attract a
lot more, to a free service.

Good luck. This is something would potentially use every week but
seeing that even the "sample" searches bring up a dead page of teaser
links, I won't bother returning even once.

On Mar 8, 7:50*am, wrote:
Many woodworkers on this forum have used this index in the past to
find 'lost' articles buried in several years of woodworking and DIY
magazines they subscribe to. The index now boasts over 20,000 indexed
articles to help you find the topic you are looking for in your
library of magazines all in a matter of seconds. The results can be
printed, and the search parameters are very flexible, allowing
searches by category, issues, phrases and keywords. If it's been a
while since you last used the index, it's only larger now, so check it
out and see if it makes sense for you. You can find the index atwww.woodworkingmagazineindex.com. Let me know what you think or if you
have ideas for improving the index.

Happy sawdustin'
Rick

Posted to rec.woodworking

Actually, the free list of links to magazines is an important resource
and I have add that to my favorites.

Thanks.

On Mar 8, 7:50*am, wrote:

Many woodworkers on this forum have used this index in the past to
find 'lost' articles buried in several years of woodworking and DIY
magazines they subscribe to. The index now boasts over 20,000 indexed
articles to help you find the topic you are looking for in your
library of magazines all in a matter of seconds. The results can be
printed, and the search parameters are very flexible, allowing
searches by category, issues, phrases and keywords. If it's been a
while since you last used the index, it's only larger now, so check it
out and see if it makes sense for you. You can find the index atwww.woodworkingmagazineindex.com. Let me know what you think or if you
have ideas for improving the index.

Happy sawdustin'
Rick- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
Many woodworkers on this forum have used this index in the past to
find 'lost' articles buried in several years of woodworking and DIY
magazines they subscribe to. The index now boasts over 20,000 indexed
articles to help you find the topic you are looking for in your
library of magazines all in a matter of seconds. The results can be
printed, and the search parameters are very flexible, allowing
searches by category, issues, phrases and keywords. If it's been a
while since you last used the index, it's only larger now, so check it
out and see if it makes sense for you. You can find the index at
www.woodworkingmagazineindex.com. Let me know what you think or if you
have ideas for improving the index.

Happy sawdustin'
Rick

Rick, $10 for 5 years? That certainly sounds reasonable.
Using your service, is there a way to filter out the magazines that one does
not have or subscribe to? A search filter so to speak?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 8, 10:50*am, wrote:
Many woodworkers on this forum have used this index in the past to
find 'lost' articles buried in several years of woodworking and DIY
magazines they subscribe to. The index now boasts over 20,000 indexed
articles to help you find the topic you are looking for in your
library of magazines all in a matter of seconds. The results can be
printed, and the search parameters are very flexible, allowing
searches by category, issues, phrases and keywords. If it's been a
while since you last used the index, it's only larger now, so check it
out and see if it makes sense for you. You can find the index atwww.woodworkingmagazineindex.com. Let me know what you think or if you
have ideas for improving the index.

Happy sawdustin'
Rick

Rick,

Yes, two bucks ain't much until you look at the big picture. I'm
hitting dozens to hundreds of sites on a regular basis. Even at two
bucks a year the ol tool budget grows thin awfully quick. Great idea
but there is just too much for free out there to justify any user cost
(other than dealing with ads). Fine Woodworking is still number two
or three in the quality of its magazine plans but I will not pay extra
to be able to visit their website.

Each of the mags have their own e-index. Yours does have the benefit
of searching all at once and if you can get more subscribers than
revenue from an ad supported site then I can't blame you. There is a
down side however to your comprehensive search. How many hundreds of
hits does a search for book case bring up? To then pull all the
issues and look each plan up to see if I like the style is a bit
overwhelming. What I do is scan the index of each mag when I get it
and crop to the picture of each project. Name the file with the mags
name and date and you have a graphic thumbnail index of projects. Not
keyworded and crossref'd but functional when one wants to build a
project. I don't know if copyright prevents you from doing this but
it might make that $2 more justifiable. Good luck with it anyway.

Daryl
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi Leon. You can just choose those magazines you want to search on by
clicking on the titles in the drop down while holding down the CTRL
key. This will keep these titles for the duration of your session
until you log out. I've toyed with the idea of creating a means of
updating your library and keeping that value in a cookie. I might just
do that over the next couple of weeks.

Yes, I agree, I think it is reasonable. The other poster that proposed
an advertising model isn't working with all of the facts that I am
working with, so I'll just not bother to respond except to say that my
preference is clear after having tried different methods of offering
the index to those that would have an interest. As to the comment
about the sample searches bringing up teaser links, I have no idea
where that statement came from. They're just sample searches. What
else can be said? Anyway, this index has been maintained for 7 years,
and the closest free index on the web has 1/10th the entries, and it
takes a lot of time. So, thanks Leon for recognizing that $10 for 5
years is really not that bad for a niche product.

Rick

Leon wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 8, 8:52*pm, " wrote:
On Mar 8, 10:50*am, wrote:

[...]

Thanks Daryl. Yes, copyright becomes a problem. And the index isn't
for everyone. But if you do have a large library and are looking for
bookcase plans, well, there aren't too many alternatives except to go
to each mag's site, search and hope they have a link to the plan or at
least a picture, which for most they won't. So you're back to pulling
the articles from the individual mags . . . It's a pain sometimes;
I've done it enough, but it beats not having a list at all. I
generally avoid looking up plans for common items that are more than
6-7 years old; I generally find that they are dated in their design
and that more recent issues have plans that my better half would find
more attractive and current.

Rick
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 8, 7:50*am, wrote:

Many woodworkers on this forum have used this index in the past to
find 'lost' articles buried in several years of woodworking and DIY
magazines they subscribe to. The index now boasts over 20,000 indexed
articles to help you find the topic you are looking for in your
library of magazines all in a matter of seconds. The results can be
printed, and the search parameters are very flexible, allowing
searches by category, issues, phrases and keywords. If it's been a
while since you last used the index, it's only larger now, so check it
out and see if it makes sense for you. You can find the index atwww.woodworkingmagazineindex.com. Let me know what you think or if you
have ideas for improving the index.

Happy sawdustin'
Rick- Hide quoted text -

Maybe I should put a Google ad on that page :-) I'm glad you find the
site useful at least to some degree.

Rick
Posted to rec.woodworking

The sample searches just return an image of a page that shows how many
links it found but they aren't active links, that's all I meant by
teaser.

Like always, it is easy to be a dick online and I am a bit guilty of
that here. I was just in "Marketer" mode and this is how I would have
pushed one of my managers.

Nice work really and I hope you are making a go of it but I think if
you could find some other model for revenue it could grow much bigger
if users had free access to the rich data (but that's just a maybe).

Sorry for any offense. Life is hard enough without some a-hole giving
you **** for a job well done.

Bill Wallace

Leon wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

not have or subscribe to? *A search filter so to speak?- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 9, 7:29*am, Phisherman wrote:
On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 07:50:32 -0800 (PST), wrote:
Many woodworkers on this forum have used this index in the past to
find 'lost' articles buried in several years of woodworking and DIY
magazines they subscribe to. The index now boasts over 20,000 indexed
articles to help you find the topic you are looking for in your
library of magazines all in a matter of seconds. The results can be
printed, and the search parameters are very flexible, allowing
searches by category, issues, phrases and keywords. If it's been a
while since you last used the index, it's only larger now, so check it
out and see if it makes sense for you. You can find the index at
www.woodworkingmagazineindex.com. Let me know what you think or if you
have ideas for improving the index.

Happy sawdustin'
Rick

I like the magazine links. *No ads?

Nope, no ads. I know anymore you expect ads everywhere, because they
are, I even use the model on my other site. However it is a tad
refreshing, for a couple bucks a year, not to be inundated with ads
everytime you come into a site for info. Take a deep breath and enjoy
the fresh ad-free aire :-)

Rick
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 9, 1:55 pm, wrote:
[...]