Posted to rec.woodworking

Default WRENCH for removing arbor from TS.

I need a wrench to remove an arbor from an old Martin TS. It needs to
span the arbor, with 2 pins that fit into holes on either side of it.
I thought it might be a spanner wrench, but those I've seen won't
work. Does anyone know of which I speak? Is there a specific name
for it? Thanks.

JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 8, 10:43*am, Jay Pique wrote:
I need a wrench to remove an arbor from an old Martin TS. *It needs to
span the arbor, with 2 pins that fit into holes on either side of it.
I thought it might be a spanner wrench, but those I've seen won't
work. *Does anyone know of which I speak? *Is there a specific name
for it? *Thanks.

JP

Got it. They're called "face spanner wrenches". You buy them buy the
distance apart the pins are (center to center) and the size of the
pins you need to fit the holes.

JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 8, 10:43*am, Jay Pique wrote:
I need a wrench to remove an arbor from an old Martin TS. *It needs to
span the arbor, with 2 pins that fit into holes on either side of it.
I thought it might be a spanner wrench, but those I've seen won't
work. *Does anyone know of which I speak? *Is there a specific name
for it? *Thanks.

JP

I suggest you try Grainger. I saw three types of spanners listed on
their web site and they're adjustable but not inexpensive.

Joe G
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 08:00:16 -0800 (PST), Jay Pique
wrote:

On Mar 8, 10:43*am, Jay Pique wrote:
I need a wrench to remove an arbor from an old Martin TS. *It needs to
span the arbor, with 2 pins that fit into holes on either side of it.
I thought it might be a spanner wrench, but those I've seen won't
work. *Does anyone know of which I speak? *Is there a specific name
for it? *Thanks.

JP

Got it. They're called "face spanner wrenches". You buy them buy the
distance apart the pins are (center to center) and the size of the
pins you need to fit the holes.

Strange tools can sometimes be rented from better auto parts stores.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 8, 11:00 am, Jay Pique wrote:
On Mar 8, 10:43 am, Jay Pique wrote:

I need a wrench to remove an arbor from an old Martin TS. It needs to
span the arbor, with 2 pins that fit into holes on either side of it.
I thought it might be a spanner wrench, but those I've seen won't
work. Does anyone know of which I speak? Is there a specific name
for it? Thanks.

JP

Got it. They're called "face spanner wrenches". You buy them buy the
distance apart the pins are (center to center) and the size of the
pins you need to fit the holes.

Bike shop. These are used for servicing bottom brackets.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote:

Got it. They're called "face spanner wrenches". You buy them buy the
distance apart the pins are (center to center) and the size of the
pins you need to fit the holes.

You may be able to make a simple one as follows:

Use bolts as the "pins".

Make an adjustable spanner using two (2) pieces of metal, say 1/2 x 1/8 x
6-8 long.

Drill holes in both ends of both pieces for bolts.

Form a "V" by bolting the metal strips together on one end and individual
bolts on the other end.

You now have an adjustable face spanner.

Have fun.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 09:42:41 -0800 (PST), Father Haskell
wrote:

Bike shop. These are used for servicing bottom brackets.

If the bike shop still has the decent sized versions and can actually
find them. They don't get used much these days. G

The "bent wire" versions might not work as well as the stamped / cast
versions on a table saw arbor.

I work in a bike shop that's been a "Bicycle Retailer Top 100" shop
for five years, and in nine years, I have never seen a bottom bracket
that used a pin spanner get adjusted or repaired. Everything I've
seen, that we actually repaired, used either a toothed socket that
fits inside the BB or a toothed semi-circle wrench that goes around
the outside.

Some of the late'90's GT I-Drive full suspension mountain bikes had a
funky frame part that needed a pin spanner, but we never actually
disassembled the part. We use tiny spanners on a regular basis, for
Shimano crank arm caps and suspension parts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Got it. They're called "face spanner wrenches". You buy them buy the
distance apart the pins are (center to center) and the size of the
pins you need to fit the holes.

You may be able to make a simple one as follows:

Use bolts as the "pins".

Make an adjustable spanner using two (2) pieces of metal, say 1/2 x 1/8 x
6-8 long.

Drill holes in both ends of both pieces for bolts.

Form a "V" by bolting the metal strips together on one end and individual
bolts on the other end.

You now have an adjustable face spanner.

Couldn't you just take an appropriately sized crescent wrench and drill holes
for appropriately sized pins on the side of the jaws? Then you'd have an
adjustable spanner.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote:

Couldn't you just take an appropriately sized crescent wrench and drill
holes for appropriately sized pins on the side of the jaws? Then you'd
have an adjustable spanner.

Basic problem, the wrench is case hardened.

You would play hell trying to drill thru the hardened surface.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote:

Couldn't you just take an appropriately sized crescent wrench and drill
holes for appropriately sized pins on the side of the jaws? Then you'd
have an adjustable spanner.

Basic problem, the wrench is case hardened.

You would play hell trying to drill thru the hardened surface.

Hmmmm.... it seems to me there's case hardened and there's case hardened. I'd
be willing to bet something on the line of a wrench from a line such as Buffalo
Tool sells would be of sufficiently poor quality that you could probably drill
into it.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote
;

Hmmmm.... it seems to me there's case hardened and there's case hardened.

Yep, heat treating takes time and costs money.

I'd be willing to bet something on the line of a wrench from a line such
as Buffalo Tool sells would be of sufficiently poor quality that you could
probably drill into it.

I wouldn't bet the farm against it.

Give it a try and let us know.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Can't find downtube shifters anymore, either. I feel old.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 09:44:28 -0700 (PDT), Father Haskell
wrote:

Can't find downtube shifters anymore, either. I feel old.

Actually...

I recently broke a shifter and used an _indexed_ down tube shifter,
mounted on the same boss that normally holds a barrel adjuster, as a
temporary replacement.

It was kind of cool! I never knew they made them with indexing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article
,
Jay Pique wrote:

I need a wrench to remove an arbor from an old Martin TS. It needs to
span the arbor, with 2 pins that fit into holes on either side of it.
I thought it might be a spanner wrench, but those I've seen won't
work. Does anyone know of which I speak? Is there a specific name
for it? Thanks.

JP

I have such a wrench made from an ordinary nut cracker. The ends of the
handles are cross drilled to take the proper size pins. The very ends
are axially drilled and tapped for set screws to hold in the pins.

Chuck P.