Posted to rec.woodworking

Default It's called SEARS, damnit - an important notice

Went over to the bank at the end of the today and while waiting in
line at the drive through I was thinking about my next router
purchase. I spied SEARS and thought, well... haven't been in there in
about a year and a half, so I will go see what they have in the tools
corral.

I had read a lot on their own branded routers on the net, and the
reviews are all pretty positive, especially for the newer models.
Won't look to hurt, right?

Well, yes it does. They are closing out the following routers, and I
ain't made of stone.

PC 690 router combo with both plunge and fixed base: $129
DeWalt 2 1/4 hp router combo with both bases: $170
Milwaukee 5615 palm grip..... crap.... $89.

I caved on the Miwaukee, as I know that to be a great machine, and it
was about 1/2 the price at Amazon.

If anyone is interested, I cannot imagine those routers lasting long.
As it was I had to drive to another store to get the Milwaukee. They
are not available online, but you can buy at one store and go pick it
up at another.

One more time... get 'em while they're hot!

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 7, 9:21*pm, "
wrote:

Milwaukee 5615 palm grip..... crap.... $89.

I caved on the Miwaukee, [snip]n

I don't like you anymore.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 7, 8:27 pm, Robatoy wrote:

I don't like you anymore.

That's OK. Right at this moment I like myself enough for both of
us. !!!!! ;^)

It wasn't a gloat. I was just surprised at how much they took off as
that has to be well under their cost.

We have a great saying down here in Texas.

"Even a blind hog finds an acorn every once in a while".

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 7, 9:32*pm, "
wrote:
On Mar 7, 8:27 pm, Robatoy wrote:

I don't like you anymore.

That's OK. * Right at this moment I like myself enough for both of
us. * *!!!!! * * * * * * * *;^)

It wasn't a gloat. *I was just surprised at how much they took off as
that has to be well under their cost.

We have a great saying down here in Texas.

"Even a blind hog finds an acorn every once in a while".

Robert

Well... okay then... had it been a 5616 I would have cancelled my
internet subscription.
http://tinyurl.com/2khdt6

I absolutely adore that router. Finesse, power...great device. The
5615 is a crude-rude device in comparison..*bfffllrrrtraspberrieesss*

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 7, 8:40 pm, Robatoy wrote:

Well... okay then... had it been a 5616 I would have cancelled my
internet subscription.http://tinyurl.com/2khdt6

Well, if it had been the 5616, I would have bought all the other two
as well.

I absolutely adore that router. Finesse, power...great device. The
5615 is a crude-rude device in comparison..*bfffllrrrtraspberrieesss*

The new router is to be the complement to the new Akeda that just
arrived. I wanted a dedicated router that was easy to adjust and use,
and didn't want to spend the dough for another variable speed. I have
a DeWalt 325, a PC 7529, a Bosch 1618 EVS D handle (my overall
favorite), another PC which I disremember the model # since never use
it, a couple of older Sears routers that are about 30 years old but
really nice, and a smaller DeWalt.

All I wanted was a good value, sturdy router. Who knew.

Interestingly enough, the members on the router forum (The Rosendal
(sp?) guys) are voting against variable speed. They advocate single
speed routers with speed controls as extras on the belt. Their
reasoning is that the EVS switches go out quickly with a lot of hard
use (I must not use mine that hard!) and it is a lot cheaper to fix
them when they are simple on/off switches. They also like the price
advantage of single vs. variable speed.

Single speed should do fine for me in this application. I cannot
imagine why I would need to slow down these tiny things that come with
the my new jig. I was honestly surprised to see the 1/4" bits that go
to the Akeda jig. I haven't held or bought a 1/4" shank bit in so
long they look like little toy bits. I only buy 1/2", and have so
long that I am almost uncomfortable with them as they look like they
would break.

I have to remember that we all used those little 1/4" bits for years
and they never broke unless you burned them up first.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 7, 10:24*pm, "Leon" wrote:
Good for you Robert. *:~)

Drive by....

Yup huh ... he almost got away with it too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 7, 11:15*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Mar 7, 10:24*pm, "Leon" wrote: Good for you Robert. *:~)

Drive by....

Yup huh ... he almost got away with it too.

And that's like me casually telling the group that this little piece
of software actually drives a router and makes all the parts by
feeding it the sheets of stuff it needs and calls for...
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...batoy/McL2.jpg

Yeeee-frickin'...HAW!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

On Mar 7, 11:15Â*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Mar 7, 10:24Â*pm, "Leon" wrote: Good
for you Robert. Â*:~)

Drive by....

Yup huh ... he almost got away with it too.

And that's like me casually telling the group that this little piece
of software actually drives a router and makes all the parts by
feeding it the sheets of stuff it needs and calls for...
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...batoy/McL2.jpg

Yeeee-frickin'...HAW!

Hey, that looks like *my* countertop. Except mine doesn't fill the sink.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 7, 11:57*pm, Mark & Juanita wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
On Mar 7, 11:15*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Mar 7, 10:24*pm, "Leon" wrote: Good
for you Robert. *:~)

Drive by....

Yup huh ... he almost got away with it too.

And that's like me casually telling the group that this little piece
of software actually drives a router and makes all the parts by
feeding it the sheets of stuff it needs and calls for...
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...batoy/McL2.jpg

Yeeee-frickin'...HAW!

* Hey, that looks like *my* countertop. *Except mine doesn't fill the sink.

Okay, smart-ass.. I was lazy, okay?

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article
,

Robatoy wrote:
On Mar 7, 11:15*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Mar 7, 10:24*pm, "Leon" wrote: Good
for you Robert. *:~)

Drive by....

Yup huh ... he almost got away with it too.

And that's like me casually telling the group that this little piece
of software actually drives a router and makes all the parts by
feeding it the sheets of stuff it needs and calls for...
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...batoy/McL2.jpg

Yeeee-frickin'...HAW!

* Hey, that looks like *my* countertop. *Except mine doesn't fill the sink.

Okay, smart-ass.. I was lazy, okay?

I take that back. Upon further reflection, the sink was tagged as
'unknown' therefore the countertop wasn't going to be cut in any
pattern. The one you see is a generic one used for location only.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

In article
,

On Mar 7, 10:24*pm, "Leon" wrote:
Good for you Robert. *:~)

Drive by....

Yup huh ... he almost got away with it too.

And that's like me casually telling the group that this little piece
of software actually drives a router and makes all the parts by
feeding it the sheets of stuff it needs and calls for...
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...batoy/McL2.jpg

Yeeee-frickin'...HAW!

* Hey, that looks like *my* countertop. *Except mine doesn't fill the
sink.

Okay, smart-ass.. I was lazy, okay?

I take that back. Upon further reflection, the sink was tagged as
'unknown' therefore the countertop wasn't going to be cut in any
pattern. The one you see is a generic one used for location only.

So that means if you were to locate an object tagged as a sink, the
software will generate the appropriate commands to generate the cutout?
Very cool.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Robatoy wrote:

In article
,

On Mar 7, 10:24*pm, "Leon" wrote:
[...]

The Kohler catalogue is built in. The Franke and Blanco catalogues will
work, but they have to be downloaded and scaled first. A PITA.

The software differentiates between undermounts and drop-ins as well.

They are 1 hour from my house. Got to love that!
http://gorillacnc.com/gorillaprocnc

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Robatoy wrote:

In article ,
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Robatoy wrote:

In article
,

On Mar 7, 10:24*pm, "Leon" wrote:
[...]

Forgot to mention that the Gorilla boys are hooked up with the
General.ca guys. Not an insignificant liaison.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

In article ,
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Robatoy wrote:

.... snip

I take that back. Upon further reflection, the sink was tagged as
'unknown' therefore the countertop wasn't going to be cut in any
pattern. The one you see is a generic one used for location only.

So that means if you were to locate an object tagged as a sink, the
software will generate the appropriate commands to generate the cutout?
Very cool.

The Kohler catalogue is built in. The Franke and Blanco catalogues will
work, but they have to be downloaded and scaled first. A PITA.

The software differentiates between undermounts and drop-ins as well.

They are 1 hour from my house. Got to love that!
http://gorillacnc.com/gorillaprocnc

OK, that definitely counts as a drive-by.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 7, 10:45 pm, Robatoy wrote:

Drive by....

Yup huh ... he almost got away with it too.

And that's like me casually telling the group that this little piece
of software actually drives a router and makes all the parts by
feeding it the sheets of stuff it needs and calls for...http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...batoy/McL2.jpg

Yeeee-frickin'...HAW!

Calm down, Tex.

Technically, MINE was not a gloat of any kind as anyone can go get the
same exact deal at Sears if they have the routers. MINE was a PSA on
behalf of tightwads (err... I mean uhh... careful shoppers) that like
a deal and want to share.

Now yours, that is a gloat. I can't go to Sears and get that. You
did some good work on that for sure, and certainly deserve a pat on
the back. But since I can't just get in the truck and go get that
somewhere, that's a gloat.

Trouble maker. *chuckle*

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

MINE was a PSA on
behalf of tightwads (err... I mean uhh... careful shoppers) that like
a deal and want to share.

At least use the proper descriptive technologly.

The group above are known as those who "... practice the prudent stewardship
of ones available resources".

Got that?G

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 8, 2:03*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
wrote:
MINE was a PSA on
behalf of tightwads (err... I mean uhh... careful shoppers) that like
a deal and want to share.

At least use the proper descriptive technologly.

The group above are known as those who "... practice the prudent stewardship
of ones available resources".

Oh, you mean Dutchmen.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Update:

Should read:

"At least use the proper descriptive terminology".

Not:

"At least use the proper descriptive technologly."

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Robatoy wrote in
:

wrote:
MINE was a PSA on
behalf of tightwads (err... I mean uhh... careful shoppers) that
like a deal and want to share.

At least use the proper descriptive technologly.

The group above are known as those who "... practice the prudent
stewardsh

ip
of ones available resources".

Oh, you mean Dutchmen.

I take that as a compliment.
(born Dutch, but now 'merican in North Jersey)

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 8, 1:03 pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

At least use the proper descriptive technologly.

The group above are known as those who "... practice the prudent stewardship
of ones available resources".

Got that?G

Got it!

It is duly filed for future reference. I hope you don't mind if I
share that with my fellow "squareheads".

THEY will certainly get a chuckle out of it!

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 8, 1:18 pm, Robatoy wrote:

The group above are known as those who "... practice the prudent stewardship
of ones available resources".

Oh, you mean Dutchmen.

Around here, we prefer the moniker "squareheads". It more accurately
reflects our thought processes.

Believe me on that one! ;^)

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 8, 6:04 pm, Bruce Farley wrote:
I went to my local (San Jose, Cal) store and the combo was $209.95. I
would have bought another if it was at the price you found. Thanks for
the heads up.

Sorry to hear that. I wonder if Sears (since being owned by Kmart
Corp.) has gone to "target marketing" like HD. One of the reasons I
don't like to buy stuff at HD is I never know which store will have a
specific product.

HD is known around here for closing out a product in one store, yet
literally ten minutes away another Home Depot will no honor the same

product price since it is a "closeout".

No amount of bitching (trust me on this one) will get them to honor a
closeout price, even if it is at a product at their own stores. Lowes
is the same.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

It is duly filed for future reference. I hope you don't mind if I
share that with my fellow "squareheads".

As they used to say in a neighborhood back in Cleveland, "Wear it in good
health."

Lew