Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Pancake compressor (Porter Cable) + HVLP/LVLP?

I did some searching and came up with a little bit of info on the
subject, but would like some more insight if you guys have it.

As I have been getting into woodworking, the one thing sticking out
for me has been the finished product and the time it takes to get a
good result. I am thinking that a spray on finish is going to be my
best bet.

Right now I have a 6 Gal 1.5 HP Porter Cable Air Compressor. It barely
spits out any air at like 2.4 CFM.

I have been looking into getting a spray gun to work with this, but am
worried I might be disappointed. Any of you use one of these? I doubt
my projects will be bigger than some cabinets / doors. I have a coffee
table planned for the future, but that isn't too large.

I saw some recommend the PSH1 spray gun from Porter Cable. The one
thing that worries me is the CFM rating on that gun is higher than
what the Air Compressor I have can do.

If this kind of thing is out of the question, I am considering getting
an inexpensive ($150) Turbine setup from woodcraft.

What do you guys think?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Airedale" wrote

What do you guys think?

I'm, like you, interested in a practical answer to the question. I've read,
and been told, that the following will run on a 2 cfm compressor:

http://www.spraygunworld.com/Information2/MiniGuns.htm

.... but, other than a magazine article in a woodworking mag where it was
only briefly mentioned, I've not been able to find anyone with any practical
experience for woodworking purposes.

Hopefully your post will kick it in the ass a bit ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 11:13:15 -0800 (PST), Airedale
wrote:

[...]

Go for ththe turbine HVLP

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 6, 3:12*pm, "bob kater" wrote:
Good question, I went the smaller route to save money on a compressor and
use what I had, but, then it became another issue.... You start doing things
on a little larger scale and you need the bigger gun,( the smaller gun will
not finish a coffee table without stopping to refil it several times) then
the larger compressor, short of it is now I own 3 compressors but only use
the larger one. Get one rated at 4.0 minimum and do it only once."Swingman" wrote in message

"Airedale" wrote

What do you guys think?

I'm, like you, interested in a practical answer to the question. I've
read,
and been told, that the following will run on a 2 cfm compressor:

http://www.spraygunworld.com/Information2/MiniGuns.htm

... but, other than a magazine article in a woodworking mag where it was
only briefly mentioned, I've not been able to find anyone with any
practical
experience for woodworking purposes.

Hopefully your post will kick it in the ass a bit ... *

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07
KarlC@ (the obvious)- Hide quoted text -

I've got a Porter pancake also, and have successfully used a Critter
(glorified airbrush) gun with it. The compressor is cycling at least
half the time I'm using it so I can't imagine using anything larger.
I've also got a dedicated HVLP/turbine setup but for smaller projects
I always use the Porter/Critter set up. The Critter gun is hands down
the easiest gun I've ever used and cleanup is super quick. As long as
you don't expect to shoot anything heavy like latex, a small gun on
the Porter compressor should be fine.

Dusty