Posted to rec.woodworking

Default dining room table veneer help

I recently purchased an Ethan Allen table which is an espresso finish.
My wife left a scented oil thingy on the runner and some oil must have
leaked through. I don't think it damaged the wood but the protective
finish and the stain was removed and a bubbly residue remains. I can't
get anyone to help on such a small project and Ethan Allen has been
useless. At this point I'm going to try to do this myself. Any
thoughts or suggestions would be very much appreciated. I can send you
pictures if you want to try to help me.
Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Without seeing what you have, without knowing what type of finish it
is, without knowing what kind of sheen you are looking at, without
knowing if it is tinted one step clear spray finish or not, without
knowing how the finish is applied....

you are up against it.

While suggestions are good, they won't be much more than that. If it
is a valued piece, take to to a finish repair shop. If the oils
dissolved the finish (no matter what the finish is) then no doubt they
penetrated the wood.

To attempt to neutralize the effects of the remaining oil left on the
wood (penetrated?) to leave a bondable substrate for your finish while
matching an existing color is not for the inexperienced.

Good luck, and I mean that sincerely.

Robert