Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How To Glue Up Table or Benchtop

Assuming I've jointed several 1 x 4s prior to gluing them up, what's the
best way to proceed? Should I glue them up all at once, or one at time? I
was also thinking of doing it in a binary fashion - glue 2 together, and
join that piece to another set of two that were glued up, and so on.

Thanks for any advice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 13:43:15 -0500, "Buck Turgidson"
wrote:

Assuming I've jointed several 1 x 4s prior to gluing them up, what's the
best way to proceed? Should I glue them up all at once, or one at time? I
was also thinking of doing it in a binary fashion - glue 2 together, and
join that piece to another set of two that were glued up, and so on.

Thanks for any advice.

I usually do as many as I can comfortably do during the open time of
the glue. At face, that may sound like a silly answer, but it really
can vary from project to project. Shorter parts need less attention
and clamps, so I can attend to them better before the glue dries, and
therefore do more joints at once.

My suggestion is to do a practice run without glue, the best number of
boards will show itself to you.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Buck Turgidson" wrote:

Assuming I've jointed several 1 x 4s prior to gluing them up, what's the
best way to proceed? Should I glue them up all at once, or one at time?

It all depends.

It is a function of how long are the boards, or stated another way, the
length of the glue lines.

How fast can you work?

Do you have a helper?

Are you limited by available work space?

As I said, it all depends.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Assuming I've jointed several 1 x 4s prior to gluing them up, what's the
best way to proceed? Should I glue them up all at once, or one at time? I
was also thinking of doing it in a binary fashion - glue 2 together, and
join that piece to another set of two that were glued up, and so on.

Thanks for any advice.

If there is a lot, gluing them up in smaller sets might be less
stressful. The secret to success is keeping the entire assembly flat
so take some extra effort to make sure.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Assuming I've jointed several 1 x 4s prior to gluing them up,
what's the best way to proceed? Should I glue them up all at
once, or one at time? I was also thinking of doing it in a binary
fashion - glue 2 together, and join that piece to another set of
two that were glued up, and so on.

Thanks for any advice.

If there is a lot, gluing them up in smaller sets might be less
stressful. The secret to success is keeping the entire assembly
flat so take some extra effort to make sure.

And keeping them flat means equalizing pressure by putting clamps on
BOTH sides. Check surface with a straight edge, tweak clamp pressure
as needed.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 1, 12:43*pm, "Buck Turgidson" wrote:
Assuming I've jointed several 1 x 4s prior to gluing them up, what's the
best way to proceed? *Should I glue them up all at once, or one at time? *I
was also thinking of doing it in a binary fashion - glue 2 together, and
join that piece to another set of two that were glued up, and so on.

Thanks for any advice.

Don't forget to pay attention to the grain pattern on the ENDS of the
boards. The end grain should alternate, concave up/concave down. I
once glued up a 48 inch wide panel, paying close attention to how the
grain looked on the surface, but ignoring the end grain. Just so
happened I had nearly all the boards with the grain running the same
way. When that piece went through its first winter, it looked like I
had tried to build a barrel.

DonkeyHody
"Of all the lessons I've learned, I remember best the ones I learned
the hard way."
Posted to rec.woodworking

Buck Turgidson wrote:
Assuming I've jointed several 1 x 4s prior to gluing them up, what's the
best way to proceed? Should I glue them up all at once, or one at time? I
was also thinking of doing it in a binary fashion - glue 2 together, and
join that piece to another set of two that were glued up, and so on.

Thanks for any advice.

I've always glued panels one board at a time (i.e. one wet glue line
at any given time). It's obviously the slowest way, but in my opinion
it's the easiest and since I only build things for fun, it doesn't
matter to me if it takes an extra evening or two to get everything
glued. Your binary way would be faster and just as easy as my way
assuming you always had two sets gluing at once which obviously
requires twice as many clamps.

Charles

How to remove glue from glass table [email protected] Home Repair 32 September 22nd 17 12:49 PM
BENCHTOP ROUTER TABLE J T Woodworking 2 January 25th 06 04:47 AM
Benchtop table saw [email protected] Woodworking 11 January 5th 06 03:54 AM
Best benchtop table saw for small shop Ned J. Clarke Woodworking 19 November 1st 04 05:21 PM
Benchtop Table Saws: Ridgid TS2400 vs Bosch 4000 Chris E Forest Woodworking 3 December 19th 03 03:13 PM