Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finished My Cane

"Puckdropper" wrote:

If you want some free "cane-stock" hang around the local hockey rink.
Most guys break their sticks near the blade, and once broken there's not
much they can do with them. Stick shafts are usually around 1x2 (as in
1x2 lumber, not 1"x2") in size.

SFWIW, the latest and greatest for hockey sticks is epoxy and carbon fiber.

Just one of the reasons cirbon fiber is on allocation.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 17:12:45 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

"Puckdropper" wrote:

If you want some free "cane-stock" hang around the local hockey rink.
Most guys break their sticks near the blade, and once broken there's not
much they can do with them. Stick shafts are usually around 1x2 (as in
1x2 lumber, not 1"x2") in size.

SFWIW, the latest and greatest for hockey sticks is epoxy and carbon fiber.

True, but lots of folks still play with wooden shafts. A carbon
shaft can be $200+, the blade costs extra.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"Puckdropper" wrote:

If you want some free "cane-stock" hang around the local hockey rink.
Most guys break their sticks near the blade, and once broken there's not
much they can do with them. Stick shafts are usually around 1x2 (as in
1x2 lumber, not 1"x2") in size.

SFWIW, the latest and greatest for hockey sticks is epoxy and carbon fiber.

True, but lots of folks still play with wooden shafts. A carbon
shaft can be $200+, the blade costs extra.

You do NOT want to know what a carbon fiber tripod for your camera
would cost, but the cheapest ones are double that blade cost plus
some. The most expensive ones...

Wonderful for backpackers and us old farts who try to get out of
lifting too much that's heavy.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote in message

If you want some free "cane-stock" hang around the local hockey rink.
Most guys break their sticks near the blade, and once broken there's not
much they can do with them. Stick shafts are usually around 1x2 (as in
1x2 lumber, not 1"x2") in size.

Broken pool cues would be another good material but that would mean hanging
around biker bars so there might be a chance of being the one the pool cues
get broken on.

From talking to the guys at Canemasters their preferred method of finishing
is soaking the sticks in mineral oil for 36 hours and then applying several
coats of tung oil with progressively finer sanding between coats. The thing
about their sticks is they're meant to be more than an aid to walking, they
are designed with martial arts/self-defense in mind, they are not the sort
of cane one finds in a drug store. For those interested in rolling their
own there might be some ideas to be had on the Canemasters web site.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Saw how hockey sticks are made on How It's Made. Neat.

Guess I made my original point a bit vague. A lot vague? Vague.
What point? What're we talking about. Anyway, making a cane isn't
rocket science. Sure, could look better, but needing a cane NOW, it
still looks pretty good. Major point, it was a learning experience. I
didn't expect it to look beautiful, even if I'd taken a week to make it.
It's the first one, a prototype, in fact, even if not in name. When I
make something new, I usually go thru several variations, improving each
time. I recently made two routing jigs, both from scratch, because the
first didn't work as I wanted. Modified another. May have to make a
new version of yet another. That's the way it goes sometimes. So the
cane is the first version. Acually, it doesn't look real bad, and it IS
functionsl. Function was the first requirement, looks second.

I'd been thinking about rounding the shaft of the cane, but won't.
I kind like the flat sides, and that leaves space for carving, or
painting, or both, designs - which a kid would probably like if they
happen to need a cane. I think I may make at least one octagon, later.
But all in all the square shaft makes it kinda distinctive. I was going
to round the handle too, but found e straight sides are quite
comfortable, so don't plan on rounding any of them. The inside of the
handle was cut with a 5" hole saw. Just right.

I suppose the final point is, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to
make a cane. Just make one, see how it turns out, then make another
one, and make it better. Repeat until you get something you like. I
need to double-check, but I think rubber crutch tips are less expensive
then rubber cane tips. And, if I recall right, there are rubber tips
that go on furniture legs that cost even less. Hell, glue some 1/2"
plywood strips together, nothing says you 'have' to use solid wood. Ive
got a woodburner that gets little use, and those flat sides would make a
nice place to burn some designs on.

JOAT
10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker

I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 05:19:18 -0800 (PST), Charlie Self
wrote:

You do NOT want to know what a carbon fiber tripod for your camera
would cost, but the cheapest ones are double that blade cost plus
some. The most expensive ones...

Want to hear something interesting?

Carbon fiber bicycle parts have gotten far cheaper! Maybe by a factor
of 1/2 over the last five years. Lots and lots of mid-grade CF stuff
coming from China.

The top of the line, "defense grade" CF is export restricted, so it's
only seen on American made parts, like this frame:
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/road/madone/madone69pro/

Finished My Cane J T Woodworking 13 March 1st 08 07:08 AM
Update - Cane J T Woodworking 0 October 3rd 07 10:07 PM
cane furniture she UK diy 1 August 10th 07 02:17 PM
New shop open, my first workbench is finished, just not finished... JC Woodworking 8 May 31st 05 02:02 AM
Musings On A Cane J T Woodworking 26 February 9th 05 07:11 PM