Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Lignum vitae

I just bought a few b.f. of shorts from Lee Valley's warehouse sale.

The wood seems covered with wax, though now that I read a bit on the
internet it appears this may actually be oil from the wood...or not.

Can I plane this wood on my [DW 734]? will the surface wax/oil gum up my
knives?

It looks like it may only be good for turning - or can I dress it and use it
as an accent with other woods (maple or birch)?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 21:24:57 GMT, "Graham Gilbert"
wrote:

I just bought a few b.f. of shorts from Lee Valley's warehouse sale.

The wood seems covered with wax, though now that I read a bit on the
internet it appears this may actually be oil from the wood...or not.

Can I plane this wood on my [DW 734]? will the surface wax/oil gum up my
knives?

It looks like it may only be good for turning - or can I dress it and use it
as an accent with other woods (maple or birch)?

Howdy,

It is likely that the material you see is wax... (that is,
not from the wood.)

I have often seen pieces that were dipped in wax for a few
inches on each end to decrease the chance of checking. I
would guess that Lee Valley, or their supplier, just went
wild with the wax.

It would certainly seem to me that you could dress it and
use it in any way you might want, though I personally have
not used it that way.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
I just bought a few b.f. of shorts from Lee Valley's warehouse sale.

The wood seems covered with wax, though now that I read a bit on the
internet it appears this may actually be oil from the wood...or not.

Can I plane this wood on my [DW 734]? will the surface wax/oil gum up my
knives?

It looks like it may only be good for turning - or can I dress it and use it
as an accent with other woods (maple or birch)?

Howdy,

It is likely that the material you see is wax... (that is,
not from the wood.)

I have often seen pieces that were dipped in wax for a few
inches on each end to decrease the chance of checking. I
would guess that Lee Valley, or their supplier, just went
wild with the wax.

Bowl blanks are often dipped in wax.

--

FF
Posted to rec.woodworking

Graham Gilbert wrote:
I just bought a few b.f. of shorts from Lee Valley's warehouse sale.

The wood seems covered with wax, though now that I read a bit on the
internet it appears this may actually be oil from the wood...or not.

Can I plane this wood on my [DW 734]? will the surface wax/oil gum
up
my knives?

It looks like it may only be good for turning - or can I dress it
and
use it as an accent with other woods (maple or birch)?

The middle box here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3938372...7594445381450/
is lignum vitae. Planes fine--do a _lot_ of it and you'll dull steel
knives but a short or three should be no problem. While it's oily,
it's not _that_ oily, what you see on the surface is wax. The natural
oil is a pretty good lubricant which is why the Navy uses it for the
shaft bearings on aircraft carriers. You can use it as an accent, but
I'd advise using an epoxy rather than a PVA glue, and bond the
surfaces fresh-cut.

Stuff will polish to a near-mirror finish using just its natural oil.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Graham Gilbert wrote:
I just bought a few b.f. of shorts from Lee Valley's warehouse sale.

The wood seems covered with wax, though now that I read a bit on the
internet it appears this may actually be oil from the wood...or not.

Can I plane this wood on my [DW 734]? will the surface wax/oil gum
up my knives?

It looks like it may only be good for turning - or can I dress it
and use it as an accent with other woods (maple or birch)?

As others said (more or less), it is wood: use it like any other wood.
It is the world's *heaviest* wood though. Also, don't be surprised if
it turns sky blue when you finish it. Or a bilious green. The color
is only temporary and after a day or two it will change to a nice
brown.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Cutting Lignum Vitae [email protected] Woodturning 3 August 17th 05 03:00 AM
Lignum vitae mallet Bubba Woodworking 7 May 17th 05 05:48 PM
anybody turn lignum vitae? chasmad Woodturning 1 January 28th 05 04:03 AM
Lignum Vitae vase on ABPW AAvK Woodworking 1 October 29th 04 03:27 AM
Glue Prep for Lignum Vitae Garrett Woodworking 7 August 5th 04 12:34 AM