Posted to rec.woodworking

Default ON TOPIC: goatees

April's Fine Woodworking features articles by Gregory Paolini, Michael
Fortune, Harold Greene, Philip Lowe, Peter Gerdy and Doug Stowe. Aside
from woodworking, all six have something in common. They all wear
goatees. Did I miss the memo? Why is a mid-90s facial hair
configuration suddenly raging through the woodworking community?

Editor's Note: The author is clean-shaven (usually)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 23, 11:40 am, Jeff wrote:
April's Fine Woodworking features articles by Gregory Paolini, Michael
Fortune, Harold Greene, Philip Lowe, Peter Gerdy and Doug Stowe. Aside
from woodworking, all six have something in common. They all wear
goatees. Did I miss the memo? Why is a mid-90s facial hair
configuration suddenly raging through the woodworking community?

Editor's Note: The author is clean-shaven (usually)

Probably just hipsters from the artistic end of woodworking trying to
stay relevant.

I have a 'stache, but I have had that for 30 years.

I shaved of his lower counterpart when it became so white it looked
like whipped cream on my chin.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote

Probably just hipsters from the artistic end of woodworking trying to
stay relevant.

LOL ... now I know what the subconscious impulse was!

I have a 'stache, but I have had that for 30 years.

The last time I was without one was when I got out of the service in '72.
SWMBO, after 24 years of marriage, has never seen me without a 'stache; and
Mom has never seen my father without his, and they've been married for 66
years.

I shaved of his lower counterpart when it became so white it looked
like whipped cream on my chin.

Mine still has a black streak, sort of a reverse skunk look to it ... well,
until recently and if the light's right. Besides, a goatee cuts back on the
shaving time, if nothing else.

Three years back, when I went to England for oldest daughter's wedding, I
was a touch nervous about my goatee due to my ex FIL, who was anti
beard/mustache when I was courting his daughter in the 60's. Lo and behold,
at the age of 87, there he was, sporting a goatee that put mine to shame ...
so it's not just us young guys who are doing it.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 09:40:02 -0800 (PST), Jeff
wrote:

April's Fine Woodworking features articles by Gregory Paolini, Michael
Fortune, Harold Greene, Philip Lowe, Peter Gerdy and Doug Stowe. Aside
from woodworking, all six have something in common. They all wear
goatees. Did I miss the memo? Why is a mid-90s facial hair
configuration suddenly raging through the woodworking community?

Editor's Note: The author is clean-shaven (usually)

My wife tells me to keep the goatee with short hair.

I was clean shaven when I still had long hair, as I don't do the Jesus
look.

If I ever let the hair grow again, off with the facial hair.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bonehenge (B A R R Y)" wrote

My wife tells me to keep the goatee with short hair.

I was clean shaven when I still had long hair, as I don't do the Jesus
look.

If I ever let the hair grow again, off with the facial hair.

Yep, when my hair starting disappearing in the front, I moved the pony tail
to my chin to balance things out.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 23, 4:38 pm, "Swingman" wrote:
"Bonehenge (B A R R Y)" wrote

My wife tells me to keep the goatee with short hair.

I was clean shaven when I still had long hair, as I don't do the Jesus
look.

If I ever let the hair grow again, off with the facial hair.

Yep, when my hair starting disappearing in the front, I moved the pony tail
to my chin to balance things out.

My father grew his beard after his hernia operation.

He said he wanted to see where it grew the fastest.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 15:38:20 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

Yep, when my hair starting disappearing in the front, I moved the pony tail
to my chin to balance things out.

I have a family history of old guys with no bald spot. G
Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

Brings to mind the old question:

"Why cultivate under your nose what grows wild on your rear end?"

Tried to grow a stache once, the wild hair looked better.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

April's Fine Woodworking features articles by Gregory Paolini, Michael
Fortune, Harold Greene, Philip Lowe, Peter Gerdy and Doug Stowe. Aside
from woodworking, all six have something in common. They all wear
goatees. Did I miss the memo? Why is a mid-90s facial hair
configuration suddenly raging through the woodworking community?

Editor's Note: The author is clean-shaven (usually)

I've been thru various stages: hair down my back w/ full beard to
shaven head and no facial hair. I found no hair at all makes
woodworking cleanup easier and can make a better good seal with my
dust respirator mask. I hate shaving or fussing with a goatee,
though.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 23, 3:26 pm, "Swingman" wrote:
[...]

True, but...I'm trying to recall when I grew mine. Either '64 or '65.
I've been without maybe three times since, usually long enough to take
a good look in the mirror and realize I need to cover as much of my
face as I can. It's mostly white now, which is funny, because my hair
is still salt and pepper.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 11:51:21 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Feb 23, 11:40 am, Jeff wrote:
April's Fine Woodworking features articles by Gregory Paolini, Michael
Fortune, Harold Greene, Philip Lowe, Peter Gerdy and Doug Stowe. Aside
from woodworking, all six have something in common. They all wear
goatees. Did I miss the memo? Why is a mid-90s facial hair
configuration suddenly raging through the woodworking community?

Editor's Note: The author is clean-shaven (usually)

Probably just hipsters from the artistic end of woodworking trying to
stay relevant.

I have a 'stache, but I have had that for 30 years.

I shaved of his lower counterpart when it became so white it looked
like whipped cream on my chin.

Robert

I grew a beard when I got out of the Army in '68... haven't found a reason to
shave yet..
Am I in fashion now??

Can I get a modeling job, maybe for Dust-bee-gone?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 15:38:20 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

"Bonehenge (B A R R Y)" wrote

My wife tells me to keep the goatee with short hair.

I was clean shaven when I still had long hair, as I don't do the Jesus
look.

If I ever let the hair grow again, off with the facial hair.

Yep, when my hair starting disappearing in the front, I moved the pony tail
to my chin to balance things out.

I have a beard and ponytail, but the wife calls the top of my head a "nohawk'..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 23, 8:31*pm, mac davis wrote:

I grew a beard when I got out of the Army in '68... haven't found a reason to
shave yet..
Am I in fashion now??

Maybe. It is touch and go. Ask any teenage girl 12 - 19 and they will
tell you if it is or not. They know everything about fashion.

Can I get a modeling job, maybe for Dust-bee-gone?

Whew... a burning memory here. I was shooting some lacquer in a
closed up hot warehouse all day on some woodworking projects, and I
had not shaved for a few days. The mask didn't seal well, and between
the week and a half of growth and the Van Dyke looking thing I had, I
took in a lot of fumes.

I remember thinking 'hey.. this isn't so bad. I thought today was
gonna suck."

I sent my helper out for cold drinks, and kept on spraying all
morning. Lunchtime, I was jammin'. I ate a big lunch, and couldn't
wait to get back at it. I noticed I felt a little sick, but thought
it was just lunch hitting wrong.

Started sprying again. Felt better. Love this finishing stuff.
Hey.. is that Sympathy For The Devil on the radio? TURN IT UP!

Towards the end of the day, I could hardly stand up. I finally
figured out what was going on. My mask leaked like a sieve, and I was
stoned as hell. I cleaned up everything, and waited. Then it came.
The monster headache of death from the fumes. It was nasty.

I layed out the next day from spraying, claiming the lacquer needed to
cure out.
To this day, if I find myself really enjoying a perceived artistic
side to spraying out woodwork, I take a long break (and some
aspirin!). I usually change the cartridges in the mask about then,
too.

I recut my beard to accomodate my mask after that, and it cut off any
color I had on the perimeter. That sealed it for the beard. I was
thinking "Fu Manchu" after that, but I was overruled by a higher
power.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 24, 3:08*am, "
wrote:
[...]

Full-mask positive air. Worth every penny. No fog, no dust, no fumes.
Tons of visibility, keep your glasses on. Initial outlay not cheap,
but today's oil-less compressors with an in-line charcoal filter makes
it reasonable. I will no longer spray any other way. Water based
acrylics are not all that safe as they're cracked up to be either. It
is more of a particulate issue than 'fume-related', or so I'm told.

Solvent buzzes are nasty. I'd rather create a solvent buzz with cheap
scotch. At least you get to **** that out the next day.
Posted to rec.woodworking

By age thirty I realized that "full head of hair"
wasn't in the cards for me, If I wanted to be
able to know when I was "going gray" I'd need
an alternative to tell of my impending "metal
phase of life " (silver hair, gold teeth and lead
butt), a mustache would do it, but just a
mustache didn't look right to me - on me. A
full beard raised the equivalent lady's question
"do these pants make my butt look big" - but
in a male facial context - does this beard make
my face look fat?

The obvious compromise was to add a goatee
to the mustache. So as the top and sides of
my head began losing the Follicle Battle, the
mustache and goatee provided a "gray hair"
alternative.

Then one day I fell asleep in the "barber chair".
My "barber" was a little Russian lady at Super
Cuts. I awoke to here gleefully saying "You
look JUST LIKE - Lenin!" Even half awake, I
knew I looked nothing like John Lennon. And
when I realized it was THE Lenin, after whom
Leningrad was named - I began shaving my
head - but kept the stache and goatee.

After four or five years I shaved them both
off - only to discover I seemed to have no upper
lip - or chin. Kept being startled when I'd
see a stranger out of the corner of my eye
and wondering how he got in my house - only
then realizing it was my reflection in a mirror.
window of picture frame.

Now I'm thinking - if my eyebrowse keep getting
longer - maybe the mustache and goatee can
go - and I can go with the Fu Manchu eyebrowse
look - or maybe the Pirates of the Caribbean
braded thing! Hmmm - a change to look foreward
to . . .

charlie b

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Jeff" wrote in message
April's Fine Woodworking features articles by Gregory Paolini, Michael
Fortune, Harold Greene, Philip Lowe, Peter Gerdy and Doug Stowe. Aside
from woodworking, all six have something in common. They all wear
goatees. Did I miss the memo? Why is a mid-90s facial hair
configuration suddenly raging through the woodworking community?

Editor's Note: The author is clean-shaven (usually)

No help here. My beard is so slow, by the time it came in, it was gray.

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 23, 12:40*pm, Jeff wrote:
April's Fine Woodworking features articles by Gregory Paolini, Michael
Fortune, Harold Greene, Philip Lowe, Peter Gerdy and Doug Stowe. Aside
from woodworking, all six have something in common. They all wear
goatees. Did I miss the memo? Why is a mid-90s facial hair
configuration suddenly raging through the woodworking community?

Editor's Note: The author is clean-shaven (usually)

A friend of mine maintains that guys with facial hair all have
something to hide.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 16:59:25 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
wrote:

On Feb 23, 12:40*pm, Jeff wrote:
April's Fine Woodworking features articles by Gregory Paolini, Michael
Fortune, Harold Greene, Philip Lowe, Peter Gerdy and Doug Stowe. Aside
from woodworking, all six have something in common. They all wear
goatees. Did I miss the memo? Why is a mid-90s facial hair
configuration suddenly raging through the woodworking community?

Editor's Note: The author is clean-shaven (usually)

A friend of mine maintains that guys with facial hair all have
something to hide.

My oldest brother was pretty much bald by 30.. he used to say that God only made
a few good looking heads, and put hair on the others..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Feb 23, 12:40*pm, Jeff wrote:
April's Fine Woodworking features articles by Gregory Paolini, Michael
Fortune, Harold Greene, Philip Lowe, Peter Gerdy and Doug Stowe. Aside
from woodworking, all six have something in common. They all wear
goatees. Did I miss the memo? Why is a mid-90s facial hair
configuration suddenly raging through the woodworking community?

Editor's Note: The author is clean-shaven (usually)

A friend of mine maintains that guys with facial hair all have
something to hide.

My oldest brother was pretty much bald by 30.. he used to say that God only made
a few good looking heads, and put hair on the others..

Someone else suggested to transplant the hair off his ass onto his
head. He also mentioned he wouldn't have to part it either.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 24, 6:59 pm, Robatoy wrote:

A friend of mine maintains that guys with facial hair all have
something to hide.

Certainly a product of the women's movement. I remember when that
harassment angle was the rage with the ones without franks and beans.

I always thought that odd coming from a group that shaves their legs
so no one will know how hairy they are, ones that wear lipstick to
make their lips more appealing, powder on their faces to hide their
facial flaws, dye their hair to the color they want, wear padded bras
for better shape, plastic fingernails to make their hands more
attractive, punch holes in their ears to hang decorations from, etc.

Odd indeed.

Robert

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 25, 3:29*am, "
wrote:
On Feb 24, 6:59 pm, Robatoy wrote:

A friend of mine maintains that guys with facial hair all have
something to hide.

Certainly a product of the women's movement. *I remember when that
harassment angle was the rage with the ones without franks and beans.

I always thought that odd coming from a group that shaves their legs
so no one will know how hairy they are, ones that *wear lipstick to
make their lips more appealing, powder on their faces to hide their
facial flaws, dye their hair to the color they want, wear padded bras
for better shape, plastic fingernails to make their hands more
attractive, punch holes in their ears to hang decorations from, etc.

Odd indeed.

A friend of mine in Oz refers to that as her 'war paint'.

They do that for 'US', dontcha know?

( There's a joke making the rounds on the Net which states that we
drink to make them more appealing.)

But Robert, the alternative... hairy girls..armpits 'n'stuff...isn't
really all that appealing.
A bikini without a wax? *shudder*

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 25, 6:25 am, Robatoy wrote:

A friend of mine in Oz refers to that as her 'war paint'.

I have a several ladies that I am good friends with that are in really
conservative and work in a very buttoned down environment.

When I have seen them all decked out for a big meeting, I always
know. They are in what I call "full battle gear".

They do that for 'US', dontcha know?

Oh, yeah.

( There's a joke making the rounds on the Net which states that we
drink to make them more appealing.)

One of the variants of looking at them through beer goggles, no doubt!

But Robert, the alternative... hairy girls..armpits 'n'stuff...isn't
really all that appealing.
A bikini without a wax? *shudder*

I remember the 70s and mid 80s while strategic trimming was done, the
lawn (carpet grass?) went wildly unchecked.

Then somewhere along the early-mid 80s I ran into a girl that told me
that "a well tended garden was fun to work in".

She supplied the proof! Boy was she right!

She was ahead (ahem...) of her time.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

When I have seen them all decked out for a big meeting, I always
know. They are in what I call "full battle gear".

Talk about "perceived value".

Was in the cosmetics business for a while.

The more expensive the item, the better it sold.

Had an item from one supplier that was supplied with a black cap, cost less
than $4, sold for $35.

Same item from another supplier was supplied with a gold cap, also cost less
than $4, sold for $55.

Some customers would question the price difference.

The answer was always the same.

The supplier chose gold to emphasize the quality of the product.

Lew