Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Chair Pictures

Eliot said, "Good poets borrow, great poets steal" or something like
that. I stole this design from Hans Wegner and defaced it to suit my
American sensibilities. The front legs are attached with a rabbetted
dado. Key tenons are pinned with wenge dowels. And if you look
closely, you'll see a Federal period curve between the arm rest and
the seat rail. I positioned the arms wide on the front legs in order
to create the illusion of embrace. I want the chair to beckon you to
have a seat. The wood's not finished yet but my wife already took some
pics so I thought I'd sha

http://www.joedog.org/images/share/chair_02-1.jpg
http://www.joedog.org/images/share/chair_02-2.jpg

This is the design I stole from Wegner:

http://www.scandinaviandesign.com/ha...400/CH25_2.jpg

Cheers,
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.joedog.org/images/share/c...chair_02-2.jpg

This is the design I stole from Wegner:

http://www.scandinaviandesign.com/ha...400/CH25_2.jpg

Cheers,
Jeff

Very clean. Very nice. My kinda style.. form following function and
all that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.joedog.org/images/share/c.../www.joedog.or...

This is the design I stole from Wegner:

http://www.scandinaviandesign.com/ha...400/CH25_2.jpg

Cheers,
Jeff

Very clean. Very nice. My kinda style.. form following function and
all that.

Thanks. The arms are higher than I would have placed them for
aesthetic appeal, but when they sit right at the sweet spot of
comfort, well, there's something to be said for that.. I never sat in
that Wegner chair - they go for almost $3000.00 - but it seems like he
erred on the side of comfort, too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Very nice chairs Jeff. No pun intended but I'd be more inclined to
sit in one of yours than in Wegner's original. Are you going to do
the upholstery? Let us know how you'll do that.

Marc

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 22, 1:53 pm, marc rosen wrote:
Very nice chairs Jeff. No pun intended but I'd be more inclined to
sit in one of yours than in Wegner's original. Are you going to do
the upholstery? Let us know how you'll do that.

Marc

I did that upholstery and thanks to the wonders of photography, some
of the imperfections are obscured. I found an upholstery shop nearby
and I'm going to talk to them. The final version will be in leather
and I'd rather not cut into material that expensive if I don't have
to. Let's just say I've got nothing but respect for upholsterers.

I have two others in the works. One is curly pecan and pecan. The
other one is black walnut.

Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hey Jeff,
I am embarrasssed to type that I could not see the upholstery when I
first viewed your pictures. I thought they were open/unfinished and
the flash fill oly lit up the frames. I'll blame this "affliction" on
a crappy monitor. Now, looking at it closer I can see what you did.
Sorry about that oversight.
Thanks too for your opinion on my grain orientation question. I'm
going to go along with the "matching" suggestions.
Some day i'll discover a good way to post some pics of my own.

Marc

On Feb 22, 2:06*pm, Jeff wrote:
On Feb 22, 1:53 pm, marc rosen wrote:

Very nice chairs Jeff. *No pun intended but I'd be more inclined to
sit in one of yours than in Wegner's original. *Are you going to do
the upholstery? *Let us know how you'll do that.

Marc

I did that upholstery and thanks to the wonders of photography, some
of the imperfections are obscured. I found an upholstery shop nearby
and I'm going to talk to them. The final version will be in leather
and I'd rather not cut into material that expensive if I don't have
to. Let's just say I've got nothing but respect for upholsterers.

I have two others in the works. One is curly pecan and pecan. The
other one is black walnut.

Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

Really nice and some excellent details.

I like yours far better than the inspiration.

The way the arms die into the back is a really nice detail.

Is the seat side rail\back leg made from one piece?

What material is this chair?

On Feb 22, 10:22*am, Jeff wrote:
Eliot said, "Good poets borrow, great poets steal" or something like
that. I stole this design from Hans Wegner and defaced it to suit my
American sensibilities. The front legs are attached with a rabbetted
dado. Key tenons are pinned with wenge dowels. And if you look
closely, you'll see a Federal period curve between the arm rest and
the seat rail. I positioned the arms wide on the front legs in order
to create the illusion of embrace. I want the chair to beckon you to
have a seat. The wood's not finished yet but my wife already took some
pics so I thought I'd sha

http://www.joedog.org/images/share/c...chair_02-2.jpg

This is the design I stole from Wegner:

http://www.scandinaviandesign.com/ha...400/CH25_2.jpg

Cheers,
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 23, 12:09 am, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
Really nice and some excellent details.

I like yours far better than the inspiration.

The way the arms die into the back is a really nice detail.

Is the seat side rail\back leg made from one piece?

What material is this chair?

Yes, the side rail / back leg is all one piece. They require a board
that is 8" wide (at least 9" rough cut). You can grab the back rails
from the space underneath the side rail for a perfect wood match.

I used Pennsylvania sugar maple for this one. It's hard to see in the
picture (coupled by the fact that it's only sanded to 150 grit at that
moment) but the maple is nicely figured. The arms were selected from
different stock. They're much whiter and that causes them to stand
out.

Due to it's odd shape, I was unable to fit some portions into my
mortising jig. It was necessary to make tools. I hate that. Some guys
post pictures of these brilliant jigs they make. I'll never post
pictures of my jigs. They look like they were made by Homer Simpson. I
slap a couple scraps together for a single purpose jig. (I keep my jig
count low by designing things to fit the jig. That chair has a 2-3/8"
seat rail because I had an existing jig for the rabbetted dado).

Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

It looks great Jeff. Your attention to detail is impressive. Post back with a
picture when you've applied the finish so we can see that figured grain.

Michael