Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Developing a measured drawing

Can anyone tell me any websites, books, or tips on creating a measured
drawing from several pictures of a piece of furniture? This more of
challenge than I originally thought as this is a chair with lots of
angles. As a start I drew the chair (from a photograph) onto paper,
then located the two "vanishing points" by extending the lines where
the chair feet touch the floor. I took an engineering drafting course
in college, which helps a little. TIA
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Phisherman" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me any websites, books, or tips on creating a measured
drawing from several pictures of a piece of furniture? This more of
challenge than I originally thought as this is a chair with lots of
angles. As a start I drew the chair (from a photograph) onto paper,
then located the two "vanishing points" by extending the lines where
the chair feet touch the floor. I took an engineering drafting course
in college, which helps a little. TIA

Check your incoming e-mail.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Try the free tool from Google, Sketchup. Real easy 2D and 3D, they
have a free version and although I haven't tried them they actually
have tools for creating 3D models from photographs by sketching right
over the image and they somehow learn the perspective and do all the
adjustments. At least that is how it is advertised. Might be exactly
what you need.

I can usually do all my work in 2D and being somewhat of an AutoCAD
expert I always seem to find the tools to do what I need but that
program is (was) a career in itself to learn and use.

BW

On Feb 21, 11:23*am, Phisherman wrote:
Can anyone tell me any websites, books, or tips on creating a measured
drawing from several pictures of a piece of furniture? * This more of
challenge than I originally thought as this is a chair with lots of
angles. *As a start I drew the chair (from a photograph) onto paper,
then located the two "vanishing points" by extending the lines where
the chair feet touch the floor. *I took an engineering drafting course
in college, which helps a little. *TIA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Phisherman" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me any websites, books, or tips on creating a measured
drawing from several pictures of a piece of furniture? This more of
challenge than I originally thought as this is a chair with lots of
angles. As a start I drew the chair (from a photograph) onto paper,
then located the two "vanishing points" by extending the lines where
the chair feet touch the floor. I took an engineering drafting course
in college, which helps a little. TIA

If I remember right you will need two measurements to start with, height and
width. measure the width of the chair at the floor (this may be guess work)
and project that measurement to a point in front of the chair from the
vanishing point. You can now measure the width of any part of the chair
using that measurement or a fraction of it Do the same for the height of
the chair. I can't remember how to get the depth of the object but do
remember it is a logarithm of some sort. I am sure that some one here will
know the answer.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Phisherman" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me any websites, books, or tips on creating a measured
drawing from several pictures of a piece of furniture? This more of
challenge than I originally thought as this is a chair with lots of
angles. As a start I drew the chair (from a photograph) onto paper,
then located the two "vanishing points" by extending the lines where
the chair feet touch the floor. I took an engineering drafting course
in college, which helps a little. TIA

Fww had an article on this some time ago. If I can dig up the issue, I'll
post a reply to this message.

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 16:00:28 -0500, J T wrote:

Try the free version of Google Sketchup 6 for Windows or Mac

http://sketchup.google.com/

It has a feature called Photomatch to create a 3D model from a photograph.
You can dimension for plan views (top, front, side, back, etc.)

You can adjust one dimension and resize model to create 1/10, 1/4, 1/2
scales, etc.

Lot's of other fun stuff like GPS sun/shadow positioning on architectural
models, textures, flythru videos, etc. Everything you'd expect from a 3D
modeling app.

Free shared 3D warehouse of models to start from including
"woodcrafts" (bowls, plates, goblets, ornaments, etc.)

Many video tutorials on youtube, etc.
Here's a few intro tutorial video links;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRM7WXU5GrY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSuDoX8SPtU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTFQrJQlByA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3tYEHnQwnY

Adjust textures to try different wood designs, like woodturning software
http://www.woodturnerpro.com/
http://www.creative-woodturner.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Joe" wrote in message
. net...

"Phisherman" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me any websites, books, or tips on creating a measured
drawing from several pictures of a piece of furniture? This more of
challenge than I originally thought as this is a chair with lots of
angles. As a start I drew the chair (from a photograph) onto paper,
then located the two "vanishing points" by extending the lines where
the chair feet touch the floor. I took an engineering drafting course
in college, which helps a little. TIA

Fww had an article on this some time ago. If I can dig up the issue, I'll
post a reply to this message.

jc

The issue is FWW #170, Article is Scaling Furniture from Photos written by
Miguel Gómez-Ibáñez

Good luck,

Joe