Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Corner cabinets without lazy susan.

Wasted space in corners has always been an issue.
Lazy susans don't use all the space either and they tend to get
overloaded and stuff falls off, hard to clean etc, etc.
And the really good ones are expensive.
Twice I have had the pleasure to install a countertop for a new
cabinet maker/client who does it this way:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o.../Cornercab.jpg

In one case he used full extension slides and the drawers were just
huge.
This particular guy uses face frames. I'll take a picture next time I
get to do a job for him.
In the meantime, I hope this may help someone else's lay-out problem.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

Wasted space in corners has always been an issue.
Lazy susans don't use all the space either and they tend to get
overloaded and stuff falls off, hard to clean etc, etc.
And the really good ones are expensive.
Twice I have had the pleasure to install a countertop for a new
cabinet maker/client who does it this way:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o.../Cornercab.jpg

In one case he used full extension slides and the drawers were just
huge.
This particular guy uses face frames. I'll take a picture next time I
get to do a job for him.
In the meantime, I hope this may help someone else's lay-out problem.

Too much wasted space there, big triangle behind the drawers and in the
corners of the other two cabinets that is unaccessible.
At least with a lazy susan you can set something in the wasted space.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote:

Wasted space in corners has always been an issue.
Lazy susans don't use all the space either and they tend to get
overloaded and stuff falls off, hard to clean etc, etc.
And the really good ones are expensive.
Twice I have had the pleasure to install a countertop for a new
cabinet maker/client who does it this way:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o.../Cornercab.jpg

Same solution shown on a recent episode of NYW.

As that old saying goes, ".. the more thing chsnge, the more they stay
the same."

BTW, Mikey likes itG.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 15, 4:28*pm, Eugene wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
Wasted space in corners has always been an issue.
Lazy susans don't use all the space either and they tend to get
overloaded and stuff falls off, hard to clean etc, etc.
And the really good ones are expensive.
Twice I have had the pleasure to install a countertop for a new
cabinet maker/client who does it this way:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o.../Cornercab.jpg

In one case he used full extension slides and the drawers were just
huge.
This particular guy uses face frames. I'll take a picture next time I
get to do a job for him.
In the meantime, I hope this may help someone else's lay-out problem.

Too much wasted space there, big triangle behind the drawers and in the
corners of the other two cabinets that is unaccessible.
At least with a lazy susan you can set something in the wasted space.

Draw a circle where the lazy susan would go and let's see you get to
the 'spaces' through an 18" opening.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Robatoy wrote in
:

On Feb 15, 4:28*pm, Eugene wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
[...]

Well, I think this is a great solution if you can waste the angled floor
space. However, sometimes Robatoy's solution doesn't work. Our kitchen
is rather small, and the counter is at right angles to the stove. There
is only 2 1/4" between the drawerfront under the counter and the right
edge of the oven door. Under that drawer is a lazy susan with 2 levels
to maximize the space in the corner. Above the counter, the cabinet has
a door that hinges, so it opens above the counter at both angles.

House was built in 1928-9 and the kitchen hasn't been changed in layout
much since then. Radburn community in Fair Lawn, NJ, a historic
landmark http://radburn.org

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

I like those drawer units with the progressively larger drawers. and put in
a corner like that is an excellent idea.

--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.
"Robatoy" wrote in message
Wasted space in corners has always been an issue.
Lazy susans don't use all the space either and they tend to get
overloaded and stuff falls off, hard to clean etc, etc.
And the really good ones are expensive.
Twice I have had the pleasure to install a countertop for a new
cabinet maker/client who does it this way:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o.../Cornercab.jpg

In one case he used full extension slides and the drawers were just
huge.
This particular guy uses face frames. I'll take a picture next time I
get to do a job for him.
In the meantime, I hope this may help someone else's lay-out problem.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

On Feb 15, 4:28*pm, Eugene wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
[...]

That is exactly how I built my lazy susan now. Big things like bottles of
vegetable oil go in the corners.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I've seen the same but with the door made in two pieces in and mitered
inverted to fit the corner. You have to use under or over mounted
slides. You loose some space up front but have a much more traditional
look. They usually also divide the shelves vertically so you pull it
out and look at it from either side.

| |
| _ |

On Feb 15, 12:13*pm, Robatoy wrote:
Wasted space in corners has always been an issue.
Lazy susans don't use all the space either and they tend to get
overloaded and stuff falls off, hard to clean etc, etc.
And the really good ones are expensive.
Twice I have had the pleasure to install a countertop for a new
cabinet maker/client who does it this way:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o.../Cornercab.jpg

In one case he used full extension slides and the drawers were just
huge.
This particular guy uses face frames. I'll take a picture next time I
get to do a job for him.
In the meantime, I hope this may help someone else's lay-out problem.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
Wasted space in corners has always been an issue.
Lazy susans don't use all the space either and they tend to get
overloaded and stuff falls off, hard to clean etc, etc.
And the really good ones are expensive.
Twice I have had the pleasure to install a countertop for a new
cabinet maker/client who does it this way:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o.../Cornercab.jpg

In one case he used full extension slides and the drawers were just
huge.
This particular guy uses face frames. I'll take a picture next time I
get to do a job for him.
In the meantime, I hope this may help someone else's lay-out problem.

Some ideas at http://www.kitchen-cabinets-tips.com/designs.html

and http://www.fdmonline.com/ViewArticle.aspx?id=13062

Diamond Cabinetry at
http://www.diamond2.com/storage/stor...abinets&did=30
and
http://www.diamond2.com/storage/stor...abinets&did=90

has a photo of a corner cabinet that looks like something my brother has
in his house. Basically it is a base cabinet with a swing-out that
drags a couple of drawers behind it. He doesn't know the manufacturer
of his cabinets since they were in place when he bought the place.

mahalo,
jo4hn

Ban socialized armies!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
Wasted space in corners has always been an issue.
Lazy susans don't use all the space either and they tend to get
overloaded and stuff falls off, hard to clean etc, etc.
And the really good ones are expensive.
Twice I have had the pleasure to install a countertop for a new
cabinet maker/client who does it this way:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o.../Cornercab.jpg

In one case he used full extension slides and the drawers were just
huge.
This particular guy uses face frames. I'll take a picture next time I
get to do a job for him.
In the meantime, I hope this may help someone else's lay-out problem.

Here's another method for using corner space

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...722,43723&ap=2

LdB

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote:
Wasted space in corners has always been an issue.

The only way to gain total access to corner space is to use top entry lift
out bins such as you find on any decent yacht.

Requires some specialized bins which probably make it cost prohibitive on a
production type home.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 15, 3:13 pm, Robatoy wrote:
Wasted space in corners has always been an issue.
Lazy susans don't use all the space either and they tend to get
overloaded and stuff falls off, hard to clean etc, etc.
And the really good ones are expensive.
Twice I have had the pleasure to install a countertop for a new
cabinet maker/client who does it this way:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o.../Cornercab.jpg

In one case he used full extension slides and the drawers were just
huge.
This particular guy uses face frames. I'll take a picture next time I
get to do a job for him.
In the meantime, I hope this may help someone else's lay-out problem.

Good design for a stand for a radial drill press or similiar
oversized bench tool that normally lives in a corner, but
occasionally needs to be pulled out for machining large
workpieces.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 15, 7:47*pm, jo4hn wrote:

Ban socialized armies!

You know where Canadians keep their armies?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
...up their sleevies.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 15, 8:41*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote:
Wasted space in corners has always been an issue.

The only way to gain total access to corner space is to use top entry lift
out bins such as you find on any decent yacht.

Requires some specialized bins which probably make it cost prohibitive on a
production type home.

Lew

That little bit of space on both sides of the drawer unit is a 'must-
have'. Those corners are never right. Drywallers leave this nice
'thickness' to the inside corner.
BTW, those drawers are 32" deep. Just huge. And with a solid set of
full extension Accurides, will hold 200 pounds each. The angled
sections to the right and left hold all the Tupperware.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Why do you think the operative phrase from my previous post was:
++++++++++++++++++++++
Requires some specialized bins which probably make it cost prohibitive on
production type home.

++++++++++++++++++++

BTW, would have to send a ferret to get things from the back of a 32" deep
drawer.

My arms aren't long enoughG.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 16, 1:31*am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote:

That little bit of space on both sides of the drawer unit is a 'must-
have'. Those corners are never right. Drywallers leave this nice
'thickness' to the inside corner.

Why do you think the operative phrase from my previous post was:
++++++++++++++++++++++ Requires some specialized bins which probably make it cost prohibitive on
production type home.

++++++++++++++++++++

BTW, would have to send a ferret to get things from the back of a 32" deep
drawer.

My arms aren't long enoughG.

Lew

Full extension slides, Lew.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote:

Full extension slides, Lew.

It's still 32", front to back.

It's a ferret or an arm extension and I'm not quite ready for a motorized
scooter, so I can't get a free arm extension as my consolation prize for
testing one.G

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 16, 11:10*am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
*"Robatoy" wrote:

Full extension slides, Lew.

It's still 32", front to back.

You are supposed to stand BESIDE the drawer, Lew....LOL

It's a ferret or an arm extension and I'm not quite ready for a motorized
scooter, so I can't get a free arm extension as my consolation prize for
testing one.G

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robotoy wrote:

You are supposed to stand BESIDE the drawer, Lew....LOL

Now that requires an executive decision, Left or Right side.

Much to complex a skill set.

Next thing you know, you're going to expect me to know why I opened the
drawer in the first placeG.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 16, 5:10*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Robotoy wrote:
You are supposed to stand BESIDE the drawer, Lew....LOL

Now that requires an executive decision, Left or Right side.

Much to complex a skill set.

Next thing you know, you're going to expect me to know why I opened the
drawer in the first placeG.

Lew

You do what I do... walk backwards to where you came from when you
first had an inkling what you thought you were going to find in that
drawer. Nothing complicuted about that. [sic]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robotoy wrote:

You do what I do... walk backwards to where you came from when you

first had an inkling what you thought you were going to find in that
drawer. Nothing complicuted about that. [sic]

How'd you know that?

Lew

Lazy susan corner cabinet sticks [email protected] Home Ownership 4 November 3rd 06 01:27 PM
attach TV to lazy susan BB Woodworking 4 February 19th 06 11:50 PM
Lazy Susan Keith Young Woodturning 4 December 16th 05 04:46 AM
Lazy Susan Centering Keith Young Woodturning 1 December 9th 05 01:16 PM
lazy susan Chuck Woodturning 0 January 12th 04 12:24 AM