Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Darkest Wood Stain?

I'm searching for the darkest wood stain I can find, and would
appreciate any recommendations.

Is staining to black even possible?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Searcher7" wrote in message
I'm searching for the darkest wood stain I can find, and would
appreciate any recommendations.

Is staining to black even possible?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York

Absolutely, General Finishes makes a Black Stain.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Other people have reported success in staining black with india ink.
REALLY black.
I havenn't done it. I have used occasional black magic marker on some
touchups that worked OK.

Obviously you need to check for compatibility with the finish.

Old Guy

On Feb 13, 9:45*pm, Searcher7 wrote:
I'm searching for the darkest wood stain I can find, and would
appreciate any recommendations.

Is staining to black even possible?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York

Posted to rec.woodworking

Searcher7 wrote:
I'm searching for the darkest wood stain I can find, and would
appreciate any recommendations.

Is staining to black even possible?

Look into "ebonizing".

High quality drafting inks do great, as do some chemical treatments.
Some black dyes are good, but many can fade to a blu-ish purple.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Searcher7" wrote in message
I'm searching for the darkest wood stain I can find, and would
appreciate any recommendations.

General Finishes' "Java" Gel Stain is about as dark a stain as I've seen
off the shelf, and it can make even poplar look good stained.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Searcher7" wrote in message
I'm searching for the darkest wood stain I can find, and would
appreciate any recommendations.

Is staining to black even possible?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York

Not long ago, I started a thread on this and posted my results after testing
several finishes. The winner for ebonizing maple was a drop or two of
undiluted transtint black spread on the board with a rag just dampened with
d-alcohol. It was *black*. CharlieB suggested Design Higgins WaterProof
Drawing Ink 4415 and I want to try it but haven't yet. Anyway, that thread
was titled 'ebonizing maple and was originally posted 1/15/08.

Good luck,

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Searcher7" wrote in message
I'm searching for the darkest wood stain I can find, and would
appreciate any recommendations.

Is staining to black even possible?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York

Look here and scroll down to Lamp Black. While it is a milk paint you can
wipe off for a stained look.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...ral%20finishes

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 15, 3:43*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Searcher7" wrote in message

I'm searching for the darkest wood stain I can find, and would
appreciate any recommendations.

Is staining to black even possible?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York

Look here and scroll down to Lamp Black. *While it is a milk paint you can
wipe off for a stained look.http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...ral%20finishes

Thanks everyone.

I just want to make sure that whatever I use will penetrate deep
enough so that normal scuffing will not result in light colored
"scars".

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York