Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

Default Epoxy

Using 1 hour loctite 2 part epoxy. Seems to dry brittle. Normal? I have
little choice but to use epoxy as at -5/-15 F my shop can just hold 40. I
glue and after about 4 hours bring it into house still clamped.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee" wrote:

Using 1 hour loctite 2 part epoxy. Seems to dry brittle. Normal? I

have
little choice but to use epoxy as at -5/-15 F my shop can just hold

40. I
glue and after about 4 hours bring it into house still clamped.

Not sure of the specifics of your epoxy, but as a general rule, trying
to use epoxy below 60F is a waste of not only epoxy, but also your
time.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 11, 11:13 pm, Jim Yanik wrote:

use incandescent lamps to provice a heat source.Make a tent over the
work,put several lamps under it.
In the summer,I put epoxy projects in my car's trunk to heat up and cure
even better.

Hadn't heard the car trunk one, but the warming tent is the easiest
solution for most such problems. Halogen work lights throw off a lot
of heat and can turn a fair size sealed tent into a low temperature
oven.

Posted to rec.woodworking

There is a brand called Cold Cure Epoxy - from epoxysystems.com, but it
apparently is good to about 35F or 2C

If it is really important, they you should read up on cold weather epoxy at
usage and options before you waste epoxy and make more work for yourself by
having to clean up uncured epoxy.

http://www.westsystem.com/webpages/u...o/coldtemp.htm

Some things are just too big to bring inside, and somethings just can't
wait, so good luck with it. Let us know how it goes.

Matt

"Lee" wrote in message
. net...
Using 1 hour loctite 2 part epoxy. Seems to dry brittle. Normal? I have
little choice but to use epoxy as at -5/-15 F my shop can just hold 40. I
glue and after about 4 hours bring it into house still clamped.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

Working temp -10F to 125f

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee wrote:
Working temp -10F to 125f

Working temp of _what_?

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee wrote:
Using 1 hour loctite 2 part epoxy. Seems to dry brittle. Normal? I
have little choice but to use epoxy as at -5/-15 F my shop can just
hold 40. I glue and after about 4 hours bring it into house still
clamped.

Loctite epoxy wouldn't be my first choice. Spend the bucks for WEST
or System III or Industrial Formulators and I think you'll be happier
with the result.

That said the first thing I'd do is try an experiment. Make up some
small text specimens and bond a couple or three in the house and a
couple or three in the shop and see if there's a difference. If so
then you've found the problem, if not then you need to look elsewhere.

If it turns out that the shop temperatures is the problem then there
are some thngs you can do.

You say that you bring the piece into the house, clamped, so it seems
to me that the obvious thing to do is bring it in and glue it inside.
I realize that there may be SWMBO problems or the like that make that
not viable.

If the bonding absolutely has to take place in the shop, then your
best bet is to first warm everything up that you can--bring the pieces
and the adhesive into a warm area and let it warm-soak overnight so
that it's thoroughly warmed up, then take it to the shop, bond it as
quickly as possible, and then bring it in as soon as you can.

You don't need to keep the whole shop warm, just the piece you are
working on and the adjacent work surface on which you are mixing the
epoxy. One thing to try is to make a curtained off area just big
enough to work in using plastic tarps and put an electric heater (one
of the oil-filled type that doesn't have any super hot surfaces is
good) in that area. If the shop's at 40 you should be able to hold 70
easily in the working area that way. Once again, when everything is
set up, let the pieces, the epoxy, and anything that you are going to
be using to mix or apply it soak overnight so that everything is up to
temperature before you start working.

If all else fails,
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...110,42965&ap=1
should solve the problem.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Why wait the 4 hours to bring it into the house after gluing? Just
glue it up out in the shop and bring it in to cure. If you wait a while
after gluing and some joints set up partially, you may weaken them while
making the move. Move the project while the epoxy is still fresh.

Pete Stanaitis
--------------------

Lee wrote:

Using 1 hour loctite 2 part epoxy. Seems to dry brittle. Normal? I have
little choice but to use epoxy as at -5/-15 F my shop can just hold 40. I
glue and after about 4 hours bring it into house still clamped.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 02:03:30 GMT, "Lee" wrote:

Using 1 hour loctite 2 part epoxy. Seems to dry brittle. Normal? I have
little choice but to use epoxy as at -5/-15 F my shop can just hold 40. I
glue and after about 4 hours bring it into house still clamped.

The problems with using epoxy and polyester resins at low temperatures
were identified more than fifty years ago. You can pay huge amounts to
get resins that do work at low temperatures, the emphasis being on
*HUGE*

Wait 6 months and you'll be able to make your epoxy work outside. If
you need to use it before then just wait until SWMBO is out and do
your glue up in the kitchen.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee" wrote in message
. net...
Using 1 hour loctite 2 part epoxy. Seems to dry brittle. Normal? I have
little choice but to use epoxy as at -5/-15 F my shop can just hold 40. I
glue and after about 4 hours bring it into house still clamped.

Try System Three general purpose epoxy with a number one hardener it kicks
off to 35 degrees F and don't squeeze the epoxy out of the joint by over
clamping this will make a joint brittle and weak use epoxy liberal and and
minimal clamp

Best Epoxy Scott Smith Home Repair 13 August 10th 06 07:21 PM
epoxy Paul Oman Home Repair 4 September 19th 05 07:03 PM
Epoxy Art and Diane Woodturning 11 September 6th 05 03:39 PM
Does fresh epoxy stick to dried epoxy? Icepick Woodworking 14 April 23rd 05 04:06 AM
epoxy , ca, or pva D Shack Woodworking 2 March 26th 05 09:37 AM