Larry Jaques

Default James Krenov and art furniture

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 20:53:10 -0800, charlie b
brought forth from the murky depths:

I don't think Nakashima was a tennis player.

Didn't he make high-end cassette tape players?
gd&r

* * Humorous T-shirts Online
* Norm's Got Strings * Wondrous Website Design
* * http://www.diversify.com
Luigi Zanasi

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 12:12:53 GMT, Tom Watson
scribbled

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 00:04:08 -0800, Luigi Zanasi
wrote:

Originally, "Arte", in Italian, meant (and still means)
craft or trade. Like the "Arte della lana" in medieval Florence was
the trade guild regulating wool weaving and dyeing. A craftsperson or
independent tradesperson is still known as an "artigiano" (artisan) in
Italian, like my cousin who is a plumber (Sorry Tom).

Commedia del'Arte?

Proving once and for all that considering pornographic farces as art
is nothing new.

Luigi
Replace "no" with "yk" twice
in reply address for real email address

"Man is a tool-using animal. Weak in himself and of
small stature, he stands on a basis of some
half-square foot, has to straddle out his legs lest
the very winds supplant him. Nevertheless, he can
use tools, can devise tools: with these the granite
mountain melts into light dust before him: seas are
his smooth highway, winds and fire his unwearying
steeds. Nowhere do you find him without tools.
Without tools he is nothing: with tools he is all."
Thomas Carlyle
Noons

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in message ...

I've only seen photo's of Krenov's work. I would like to see them for real.

Same here. There are two local guys that make their stuff along the same
standards and art principles. I've seen their work up close. It stands
out not by imposing dimensions but by the subtlety of execution and
apparent simplicity. Until you look at the dovetails and other joinery
and realize those smooth edges and smooth closing doors are NOT the
result of sanding the crap out of the final piece but simply the
exact and precise execution! And that smooth surface is not a vitreous
poly-whatever that makes wood feel like plastic but simply the
application of multiple coats of thinned shellac and/or paste
wax.

It's what strikes me about this work: it looks deceptively simple
and subtle. Until you look in detail. Then it strikes you why
it is so hard to do to that degree.

I'd probably feel the same way if I saw Nakashima's or Maloof's work
up close. The only difference would be the overall style and dimensions,
I suppose. Which is entirely subjective.

Of course, these guys can afford to do things this way. We common
mortals have to cater for the beer drinkers!

Cheers
Nuno Souto
am
Lowell Holmes

I agree, I can visualize the Nakashima table in a conference room or a
Hollywood mansion, but not replacing the dining room table in my home.
I saw some end tables at a shop in Good Hope Pennsylvania built to that
quality. As a result, I am inspired to attempt to improve my own clumsy
techniques. It would be nice to have real talent. :-)

"Noons" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Andrew Barss

Noons wrote:

: Nakashima for example does not do as much for me. His chair is mostly
: impractical unless you have a huge room. And I suspect it won't
: "wobble" properly. Although obviously stunning. All his other creations
: remind me of someone grabbing a lump of wood, polishing one side and calling
: it finished.

I agree with the impresion Nakashima's larger pieces make
in photographs. But I saw a show of his work, including
large stuff, and it was stunning. You really have to see it in person, and
from different angles.

As to the earlier comments about Krenov:

It's fine and expected if someone doesn't like his
work. But I think it's unfair to dismiss his
cabinets as non-functional eye candy. There is a loooonnggg
tradition in both European and Asian woodworking
in the building of cabinets whose function is to serve
as a display cabinet for small carvings, ceramics, etc.
He isn't building cabinets to stuff old copies
of National Geographic or computer games into.

If you really want to see "art furniture",
look at Gary Knox Bennett's or Michael Hosaluk's stuff.
Or, if you value your time, don't!

-- Andy Barss

Lowell Holmes

According to the September issue of Antiques Roadshow Insider (publication).
at a recent auction Nakashima's furniture sold for as much as $95,600 and
$130,500. A set of six "New Chair" style sold for $10,925. I agree that his
"chair" is not real practical, but the "New Chair" style, evocative of the
Windsor style is in deed another matter. :-)
There is a nice biographical article in the publication. I was fascinated to
learn that he had a masters degree in architecture from MIT and that he was
introduced to Japanese style of tools and wood working at an internment camp
in the 40's.

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message
Noons wrote:

: Nakashima for example does not do as much for me. His chair is mostly
: impractical unless you have a huge room. And I suspect it won't
: "wobble" properly. Although obviously stunning. All his other

creations
: remind me of someone grabbing a lump of wood, polishing one side and

calling
: it finished.

I agree with the impresion Nakashima's larger pieces make
in photographs. But I saw a show of his work, including
large stuff, and it was stunning. You really have to see it in person,

and
from different angles.

!

-- Andy Barss

charlie b

Andrew Barss wrote:

snip

As to the earlier comments about Krenov:

It's fine and expected if someone doesn't like his
work. But I think it's unfair to dismiss his
cabinets as non-functional eye candy. There is a loooonnggg
tradition in both European and Asian woodworking
in the building of cabinets whose function is to serve
as a display cabinet for small carvings, ceramics, etc.
He isn't building cabinets to stuff old copies
of National Geographic or computer games into.

I fear our esthetic senses are rapidly sliding
towards IKEA and Pottery Barn and the range of
"furniture" is getting smaller and smaller.

If you really want to see "art furniture",
look at Gary Knox Bennett's or Michael Hosaluk's stuff.
Or, if you value your time, don't!

You'd think by now Mr. Bennett would look like
Dizzy G at his fullest after so many years of
tongue in cheeking. "I'm not an artist. I'm
just a furniture maker." - my ass. It ain't
how good you are but how good you can make
people believe you are. The fact that he CAN
design, build and finish really good pieces
is more the pity. Too much ego and not enough
soul in his stuff, to say nothing of all the
really nice wood he wastes on things that
could've been done out of MDF, or plaster of
paris for that matter.

I'll skip googling Hosaluk. Thanks for the
warning

(rant mode off)

charlie b