Lowell Holmes

Default James Krenov and art furniture

I agree, I can visualize the Nakashima table in a conference room or a
Hollywood mansion, but not replacing the dining room table in my home.
I saw some end tables at a shop in Good Hope Pennsylvania built to that
quality. As a result, I am inspired to attempt to improve my own clumsy
techniques. It would be nice to have real talent. :-)

"Noons" wrote in message
om...
"Lowell Holmes" wrote in message

I've only seen photo's of Krenov's work. I would like to see them for

real.

Same here. There are two local guys that make their stuff along the same
standards and art principles. I've seen their work up close. It stands
out not by imposing dimensions but by the subtlety of execution and
apparent simplicity. Until you look at the dovetails and other joinery
and realize those smooth edges and smooth closing doors are NOT the
result of sanding the crap out of the final piece but simply the
exact and precise execution! And that smooth surface is not a vitreous
poly-whatever that makes wood feel like plastic but simply the
application of multiple coats of thinned shellac and/or paste
wax.

It's what strikes me about this work: it looks deceptively simple
and subtle. Until you look in detail. Then it strikes you why
it is so hard to do to that degree.

I'd probably feel the same way if I saw Nakashima's or Maloof's work
up close. The only difference would be the overall style and dimensions,
I suppose. Which is entirely subjective.

Of course, these guys can afford to do things this way. We common
mortals have to cater for the beer drinkers!

Cheers
Nuno Souto
am