Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Biscuits

Hi group, I have a question about plate biscuits. How tight should they
fit in the biscuit slot? I'm using # 20 biscuits and cut the slot with
a 5/32" slot cutter on a router ( I don't own a biscuit jointer and
this a new thing for me) it seemed loose to me. I then switched to a
1/8" cutter and the fit was much better, snug, press fit by hand. You
don't have to drive them in. Does one have to allow space for the glue?
Is that the biscuit cutter setups for routers use a 5/32" cutter?
Thanks, Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/27/08 11:54 AM, "James" wrote:

Hi group, I have a question about plate biscuits. How tight should they
fit in the biscuit slot? I'm using # 20 biscuits and cut the slot with
a 5/32" slot cutter on a router ( I don't own a biscuit jointer and
this a new thing for me) it seemed loose to me. I then switched to a
1/8" cutter and the fit was much better, snug, press fit by hand. You
don't have to drive them in. Does one have to allow space for the glue?
Is that the biscuit cutter setups for routers use a 5/32" cutter?

5/32 works for common biscuits (# 10 & 20 ). The actual size is 4
millimeters, but 5/32 is quite close.

The initial fit is loose because the biscuits swell with the moisture
absorbed from the glue. The biscuits are actually made of compressed wood,
typically beech, that is intended to expand. Because of this, you should be
using a water based glue.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robert Haar wrote:

On 1/27/08 11:54 AM, "James" wrote:

Hi group, I have a question about plate biscuits. How tight should
they fit in the biscuit slot? I'm using # 20 biscuits and cut the
slot with a 5/32" slot cutter on a router ( I don't own a biscuit
jointer and this a new thing for me) it seemed loose to me. I then
switched to a 1/8" cutter and the fit was much better, snug, press
fit by hand. You don't have to drive them in. Does one have to
allow space for the glue? Is that the biscuit cutter setups for
routers use a 5/32" cutter?

5/32 works for common biscuits (# 10 & 20 ). The actual size is 4
millimeters, but 5/32 is quite close.

The initial fit is loose because the biscuits swell with the moisture
absorbed from the glue. The biscuits are actually made of compressed
wood, typically beech, that is intended to expand. Because of this,
you should be using a water based glue.

I will probably be using Titebond III. Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

--

Couple of web sites to check:
All about Biscuit Joiners:

Biscuit Joiner Tips and Tricks
http://www.homeenvy.com/db/9/149.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

"James" wrote in message
Hi group, I have a question about plate biscuits. How tight should they
fit in the biscuit slot? I'm using # 20 biscuits and cut the slot with
a 5/32" slot cutter on a router ( I don't own a biscuit jointer and
this a new thing for me) it seemed loose to me. I then switched to a
1/8" cutter and the fit was much better, snug, press fit by hand. You
don't have to drive them in. Does one have to allow space for the glue?
Is that the biscuit cutter setups for routers use a 5/32" cutter?
Thanks, Jim

--

It should be "very" easy to put in the slot but snug enough that it will not
fall out of a dry slot when turned upside down.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 16:54:10 -0000, "James"
wrote:

Hi group, I have a question about plate biscuits. How tight should they
fit in the biscuit slot? I'm using # 20 biscuits and cut the slot with
a 5/32" slot cutter on a router ( I don't own a biscuit jointer and
this a new thing for me) it seemed loose to me. I then switched to a
1/8" cutter and the fit was much better, snug, press fit by hand. You
don't have to drive them in. Does one have to allow space for the glue?
Is that the biscuit cutter setups for routers use a 5/32" cutter?
Thanks, Jim

The fit should be such that the biscuit can be inserted without any
force. The biscuit swells when wet with glue or even moisture. Keep
biscuits stored in an air-tight container.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 27, 6:41 pm, Phisherman wrote:
The fit should be such that the biscuit can be inserted without any
force. The biscuit swells when wet with glue or even moisture. Keep
biscuits stored in an air-tight container.

For some reason I feel compelled to repeat what I read here on the
wreck some years back: biscuits not only swell, but they often swell
and then shrink a little. I think it's because some of the moisture
goes into the surrounding wood.

If you sand before they shrink - which is usually about 24 hours -
there will be small depressions in the panel and they're usually not
noticeable until you've got a nice shiny finish on it. Most of us wait
a day anyway but if you're in a hurry it's something to keep in mind.
Even if the glue dries nice and quick those biscuits might not.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 27, 11:54 am, "James" wrote:
Hi group, I have a question about plate biscuits. How tight should they
fit in the biscuit slot? I'm using # 20 biscuits and cut the slot with
a 5/32" slot cutter on a router ( I don't own a biscuit jointer and
this a new thing for me) it seemed loose to me. I then switched to a
1/8" cutter and the fit was much better, snug, press fit by hand. You
don't have to drive them in. Does one have to allow space for the glue?
Is that the biscuit cutter setups for routers use a 5/32" cutter?

Does a test biscuit fit better if you wet it and let it swell up?