Eric Yancey

Default woodcraft router bits

I just received the 10 bit set from woodcraft that is on sale for $39.
Unfortunately 3 of the bits were defective. The 1/4" straight cut had a
significant chip on one of the flutes and two other bits had small nicks on
the cutting edges.

The good news is that the Woodcraft customer support was great and they sent
me a replacement set no questions asked along with a return postage label
for the defective set. Hopefully the new set will be defect free.

Eric

Rick & Julie

I have purchased several of these (individually) and used them all with no
problems or complaints. Performance similar to to Freud or CMT at a
fraction of the cost.

"Eric Yancey" wrote in message
I just received the 10 bit set from woodcraft that is on sale for $39.
Unfortunately 3 of the bits were defective. The 1/4" straight cut had a
significant chip on one of the flutes and two other bits had small nicks

on
the cutting edges.

The good news is that the Woodcraft customer support was great and they

sent
me a replacement set no questions asked along with a return postage label
for the defective set. Hopefully the new set will be defect free.

Eric

Eric Yancey

The bits that weren't defective look good. I can't wait to use them - good
finish, cutting edges feel sharp, etc.

My main reason for posting was to let folks know that there may be a problem
with the bit sets, but that the woodcraft customer service is making it
right!

Eric

"Rick & Julie" wrote in message
m...
I have purchased several of these (individually) and used them all with no
problems or complaints. Performance similar to to Freud or CMT at a
fraction of the cost.

"Eric Yancey" wrote in message
I just received the 10 bit set from woodcraft that is on sale for $39.
Unfortunately 3 of the bits were defective. The 1/4" straight cut had a
significant chip on one of the flutes and two other bits had small nicks

on
the cutting edges.

The good news is that the Woodcraft customer support was great and they

sent
me a replacement set no questions asked along with a return postage

label
for the defective set. Hopefully the new set will be defect free.

Eric

Mike Iglesias

In article ,
Eric Yancey wrote:
I just received the 10 bit set from woodcraft that is on sale for $39.
Unfortunately 3 of the bits were defective. The 1/4" straight cut had a
significant chip on one of the flutes and two other bits had small nicks on
the cutting edges.

I bought the bits they had on sale last month for $5 each. In
checking them over today (after reading your post) two of the bits
have chipped cutters. The rabbet bit had one cutter with a rough
edge, and the flush trim bit has a nick in it.

The good news is that the Woodcraft customer support was great and they sent
me a replacement set no questions asked along with a return postage label
for the defective set. Hopefully the new set will be defect free.

I'll be calling them next week about the defective bits.

--
Mike Iglesias Email:
University of California, Irvine phone: 949-824-6926
David Hall

The five-dollar bits in the vinyl
pouches are made in Communist China.

As opposed to non-Communist China?

Have a nice week...

Trent

Yeah! Although for some odd reason since the '70's we've been calling
non-communist China Tiawan. I never understood why though.

Dave Hall
Charlie Self

Dave Hall writes:

Yeah! Although for some odd reason since the '70's we've been calling
non-communist China Tiawan. I never understood why though.

Probably because they got tired of the name Formosa.

Charlie Self

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of
things." Sir Winston Churchill

David Hall

Yeah! Although for some odd reason since the '70's we've been calling
non-communist China Tiawan. I never understood why though.

Probably because they got tired of the name Formosa.

Charlie Self

Now Charlie, you know that Tiawan or Formosa was officially "China" to the US
Gov't from the time the Reds took over the mainland until Tricky Dick sold them
out. That's what I've never understood.

Dave Hall
Charlie Self

Dave Hall notes:

Now Charlie, you know that Tiawan or Formosa was officially "China" to the US
Gov't from the time the Reds took over the mainland until Tricky Dick sold
them
out. That's what I've never understood.

It's easy, Dave. I think it was ol' Silent Cal who is reputed to have said,
"The business of American is business." Or maybe it was Hoobert Heever. Anyway,
pointing a politician at a billion person market just obliterated every other
consideration. What Tricky Dicky, and many others, never figured on was that
market doing the producing for itself...and most of the rest of the world.

Charlie Self

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of
things." Sir Winston Churchill

Jay Pique

On 9 Nov 2003 08:03:32 GMT, (Mike Iglesias)
wrote:

In article ,
Eric Yancey wrote:
I just received the 10 bit set from woodcraft that is on sale for $39.
Unfortunately 3 of the bits were defective. The 1/4" straight cut had a
significant chip on one of the flutes and two other bits had small nicks on
the cutting edges.

I bought the bits they had on sale last month for $5 each. In
checking them over today (after reading your post) two of the bits
have chipped cutters. The rabbet bit had one cutter with a rough
edge, and the flush trim bit has a nick in it.

The good news is that the Woodcraft customer support was great and they sent
me a replacement set no questions asked along with a return postage label
for the defective set. Hopefully the new set will be defect free.

I'll be calling them next week about the defective bits.

I purchased the same set at $39 (in addition to a Dustfoe 88 - which I
absolutely think is the best mask I've ever used). The set arrived in
a decent wooden box, with a plastic insert to hold them that will
probably be destroyed over time - but what do you want at 4 bucks a
bit.

IAE, two of the bits were defective - the 7/8" cove bit had a small
chip out of it, and the 1-1/16" roman ogee had a very slight chip out
of the corner. I'm no expert, but I'd guess that these tiny
imperfections wouldn't *significantly* impact performance (or would
they?), but I called Woodcraft anyways. The woman I spoke with was
excellent, and said they'd be sending me out replacement bits
immediately. All other bits are perfect.

Great service from Woodcraft, IMO and I'll buy from them again.

JP

Brian

Finally got around to using two of my Woodcraft bits from this same set last
night. Both the 1/2" and 1/4" routed nice clean slots into hard maple for
me with minimal burning. (The burning was mainly on entry as I was drop
cutting) No complaints here. My package of 10 didn't have any defective
bits either.

FWIW.

Brian.

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
news
On 9 Nov 2003 08:03:32 GMT, (Mike Iglesias)
wrote:

In article ,
Eric Yancey wrote:
[...]

Edwin Pawlowski

"Jay Pique" wrote in message

IAE, two of the bits were defective - the 7/8" cove bit had a small
chip out of it, and the 1-1/16" roman ogee had a very slight chip out
of the corner.

I bought them also. I've only used one so far, the 3/8" core box bit. It
is still going strong after 450' of maple.

I have the same bit from Whiteside. Theirs is better, deeper, but cost 6x.
Ed

Making Trim? Bob S. Woodworking 0 September 5th 03 10:05 PM
Vibration on 1/2" bits on Milwake 5615 router Leon Woodworking 1 July 24th 03 03:57 PM