Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Mission Furniture

I'm not a fan of mission style, but I know many of you are. This guy
does some of the best I've seen. I think you'll enjoy it:

http://www.furnituremaker.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jeff" wrote in message
I'm not a fan of mission style, but I know many of you are. This guy
does some of the best I've seen. I think you'll enjoy it:

http://www.furnituremaker.com/

Darrell used to post here on occasion ... most likely one of the reasons why
you, "not a fan of mission style", like him is his pieces have the
appearance of being heavily influenced by the likes of Greene & Greene, who
really put their own personal stamp on the "Arts and Crafts" style of
furniture/architecture.

Ever get a chance, the next time you're at a bookstore, get a copy of
"American Bungalow" magazine, a publication that is doing its best to keep
this particular idiom of "Arts and Crafts" alive.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 24, 7:34*am, "Swingman" wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in message
I'm not a fan of mission style, but I know many of you are. This guy
does some of the best I've seen. I think you'll enjoy it:

http://www.furnituremaker.com/

Darrell used to post here on occasion ... most likely one of the reasons why
you, "not a fan of mission style", like him is his pieces have the
appearance of being heavily influenced by the likes of Greene & Greene, who
really put their own personal stamp on the "Arts and Crafts" style of
furniture/architecture.

Ever get a chance, the next time you're at a bookstore, get a copy of
"American Bungalow" magazine, a publication that is doing its best to keep
this particular idiom of "Arts and Crafts" alive.

Angela bought me a book by Darrell Peart:

Greene & Greene
Design Elements for the Workshop
www.lindenpub.com

One of the nicest Christmas gifts this year. Shows you how to do those
ebony accents and pegs.
I can't say I categorically like ALL G&G stuff, but they have some
wonderful designs.
And, IMHO, quite different in style than Stickley's interpretation of
'mission'.

There are some fonts in circulation called Arts & Crafts (True-type
and PS). Some are very nice.
(IIRC, you did a house number once using a similar font.. that's still
stuck in my memory as one of the nicer pieces I have seen coming out
of here.) ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy"

Angela bought me a book by Darrell Peart:

Greene & Greene
Design Elements for the Workshop
www.lindenpub.com

One of the nicest Christmas gifts this year. Shows you how to do those
ebony accents and pegs.
I can't say I categorically like ALL G&G stuff, but they have some
wonderful designs.
And, IMHO, quite different in style than Stickley's interpretation of
'mission'.

There are some fonts in circulation called Arts & Crafts (True-type
and PS). Some are very nice.
(IIRC, you did a house number once using a similar font.. that's still
stuck in my memory as one of the nicer pieces I have seen coming out
of here.) ...

Gee ... thanks! You mean this:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Crf...ouseNum607.JPG

??

I always considered that more "Down & Dirty" than Greene & Greene.

go figure ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 24, 9:17*am, "Swingman" wrote:
"Robatoy"

[...]

I think it was Glenn Miller who said that if sounds good, it is good.

I apply that to visuals as well. If it looks good, it is good.

This is also 'down and dirty': http://www.globalgallery.com/enlarge/007-14571/

SRV's riffs were 'down and dirty'.

That house number has a very pleasing balance and there is more to
that than just getting lucky.

I can't say much more, because people will start to talk..*G*

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message

I think it was Glenn Miller who said that if sounds good, it is good.

I apply that to visuals as well. If it looks good, it is good.

I say the exact same thing to some of my customers that pull out a tape
measure to center a piece of furniture that I have moved for the 2nd or 3rd
time.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I was going to take Darrel's class at Mr Ng's shop in Southern
California next month but it conflicted with trip to Maui. Wood and
sunny beaches, really pretty much a toss up for me. If bikini clad
woman would wonder through the wood shop now and then, maybe I
wouldn't get to Hawaii so often. He'll have some more classes later
this year supposedly so maybe I'll go up to Washington and see his new
shop too.

I love craftsman, mission, prarie, even like lots o' shaker. I used to
think G&G was kind of heavy and over ornate but interesting details.
When you see a nice piece in person it has a huge amount of interest.
After seeing Darrels work I gained a much deeper appreciation of the
style.