Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Inlays

Greetings folks,
I'm a newbie hobbyist woodworker. I just made a backgammon board. I
routed out the triangles to 1/8" deep and I want to fill them with a
liquid colored epoxy type material. The two products that I think will
work are 'Inlace" http://www.inlaceonline.com and system three's
"Mirrorcoat". http://www.systemthree.com/p_mirror_coat.asp

Does anyone have any experience with these products?
Any ideas for other options/products?
Thanks in advance for your help...
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Teledude wrote:
Greetings folks,
I'm a newbie hobbyist woodworker. I just made a backgammon board. I
routed out the triangles to 1/8" deep and I want to fill them with a
liquid colored epoxy type material. The two products that I think will
work are 'Inlace" http://www.inlaceonline.com and system three's
"Mirrorcoat". http://www.systemthree.com/p_mirror_coat.asp

Does anyone have any experience with these products?
Any ideas for other options/products?
Thanks in advance for your help...

No answers, but a suggestion: you might find some folks over at
rec.crafts.woodturning with some experience using Inlace, if you don't get
the info you want here.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 15, 7:46 pm, Teledude wrote:
Greetings folks,
I'm a newbie hobbyist woodworker. I just made a backgammon board. I
routed out the triangles to 1/8" deep and I want to fill them with a
liquid colored epoxy type material. The two products that I think will
work are 'Inlace"http://www.inlaceonline.comand system three's
"Mirrorcoat".http://www.systemthree.com/p_mirror_coat.asp

Does anyone have any experience with these products?
Any ideas for other options/products?
Thanks in advance for your help...

Please let us know what you find out and if it works for you.
I have a friend who has used colored epoxy instead of
string inlay with mixed results (he colored his own epoxy
with some powder from an art supply store which wouldn't
stay a uniform color). Why didn't you use a veneer inlay
instead of an epoxy one?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Also, be careful with the thickness of the poured "inlay" with
respect to the thickness and stiffness of your substrate.

I once made a BEAUTIFUL chessboard out of 1/8"-thick plywood squares
glued onto 1/4" plywood. I had a raised border around the chessboard,
maybe an 1/8" deep, and filled the playing surface with epoxy resin.

Long story made short: the curing resin caused the whole chessboard to
curl up into a bowl shape. It was BAD, maybe a 1/4" difference
between the edges and the center. It was a total waste.

The moral of the story: make sure you've got a heafty substrate or
adequate bracing to keep it flat.

-Zz

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 16:46:58 -0800 (PST), Teledude
wrote:

Greetings folks,
I'm a newbie hobbyist woodworker. I just made a backgammon board. I
routed out the triangles to 1/8" deep and I want to fill them with a
liquid colored epoxy type material. The two products that I think will
work are 'Inlace" http://www.inlaceonline.com and system three's
"Mirrorcoat". http://www.systemthree.com/p_mirror_coat.asp

Does anyone have any experience with these products?
Any ideas for other options/products?
Thanks in advance for your help...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Teledude wrote:
Greetings folks,
I'm a newbie hobbyist woodworker. I just made a backgammon board. I
routed out the triangles to 1/8" deep and I want to fill them with a
liquid colored epoxy type material. The two products that I think will
work are 'Inlace" http://www.inlaceonline.com and system three's
"Mirrorcoat". http://www.systemthree.com/p_mirror_coat.asp

Does anyone have any experience with these products?
Any ideas for other options/products?
Thanks in advance for your help...

I haven't used those products, but I use regular 30 minute two part
epoxy to fill defects and knots on a weekly basis.

Sometimes, I tint them with artist's oil colors (a LITTLE, not a lot!).
Black, burnt umber, burnt sienna, and yellow ochre, are all the
colors I've needed.

Colt for making inlays? bookman[_2_] Woodworking 5 December 11th 07 01:26 AM
working on leg inlays steven griffey Woodworking Plans and Photos 2 November 10th 07 02:59 PM
Floor inlays [email protected] Home Repair 2 March 12th 07 09:45 PM
Inlays tomstorey Woodturning 3 September 3rd 06 12:55 AM
hardwood inlays John Pilhoefer Woodworking 8 April 2nd 05 09:59 AM