Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sander Sitter - Do they extend life of ROS sandpaper?

Does anyone use one of these? Wondering if it really extends the life of
sandpaper/ provide a good base for the sander when not in use or just
another consumer gimmick? Thanks..

Posted to rec.woodworking

Oops.. Forgot to include link.. Here's one..

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...88&cat=1,42500
Posted to rec.woodworking

An old computer mouse pad works just fine.

Roger
"Jim Hall" wrote in message
Does anyone use one of these? Wondering if it really extends the life of
sandpaper/ provide a good base for the sander when not in use or just
another consumer gimmick? Thanks..

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've got an old Porter-cable sander which seems to work just fine for my
needs except that its pretty tippy when vac hose is connected and has
dropped off the workbench a couple times as a result. Would be nice to have
a stable base to set it in that extended the life of the paper between
sandings. It sits in a newspaper lined drawer when not being used for
extended length of time. Guess I could always turn a base on the lathe..

"Jim Hall" wrote in message
Does anyone use one of these? Wondering if it really extends the life of
sandpaper/ provide a good base for the sander when not in use or just
another consumer gimmick? Thanks..

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Jim Hall wrote:
I've got an old Porter-cable sander which seems to work just fine for my
needs except that its pretty tippy when vac hose is connected and has
dropped off the workbench a couple times as a result. Would be nice to
have a stable base to set it in that extended the life of the paper
between sandings. It sits in a newspaper lined drawer when not being
used for extended length of time. Guess I could always turn a base on
the lathe..

The "sitters" I've seen would do essentially nothing for the stability
problem--that would require something specific to support the hose (that
and the bulkiness is why I never bothered w/ trying to use vacuums on
sanders). Personally, I don't conceive them having any measurable
effect on the longevity of the sandpaper unless you're setting it on
something much harder than a workbench top while it's still on. I think
they're of a marginal benefit in having a "jiggle-free" platform, but
other than that just don't see them as having any real function. (BTW,
I remove the "brake" (the internal o-ring around the fixed pin) before I
ever start a new one up. They're nothing but a heat-generating
mechanism that prematurely burns out lower bearings and adds load to the
motor by the wasted worked required to heat the dang thing, not to
mention that they get too hot to hold at the base after extended use).

imo, $0.02, ymmv, etc., etc., etc., ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 11:00:33 -0800, "Jim Hall"
wrote:

Does anyone use one of these? Wondering if it really extends the life of
sandpaper/ provide a good base for the sander when not in use or just
another consumer gimmick?

Mine was useless.

With a vacuum hose attached, the sander won't stay in the sitter.

The Sander Sitter set a new purchase to eBay time record for me.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Does anyone use one of these? Wondering if it really extends the life of
sandpaper/ provide a good base for the sander when not in use or just
another consumer gimmick? Thanks..

No...
It's to reduce the time you have to hold on to it after you turn it off..

Now, if you usually sit it down on a steel bench and THEN turn it off, a SS
would probably extend the life of your paper, though..

Want a good base for your sander? put a cigar box on your bench with
double-sided tape..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks, everyone for info and advice.. I thought maybe that yellow crepe
thing cleaned the sandpaper too. I have one of those yellow (crepe?) things
on a stick that works great for cleaning sandpaper on the spindle sander.

I think I'll just set aside the time to build something simple with large
enough sides and base to be stable and hold sandpaper discs too. I have
plenty of scrape around here to get rid of anyway.. Maybe something like
Leon built for his nailers with a handle.. First I have to get through
sanding these forty boards for triming out windows in the living room..
Most of which is hand sanding.. Ugh.. Thanks, again..

news

wrote:

Does anyone use one of these? Wondering if it really extends the life of
sandpaper/ provide a good base for the sander when not in use or just
another consumer gimmick? Thanks..

No...
It's to reduce the time you have to hold on to it after you turn it off..

Now, if you usually sit it down on a steel bench and THEN turn it off, a
SS
would probably extend the life of your paper, though..

Want a good base for your sander? put a cigar box on your bench with
double-sided tape..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 13, 10:32 am, "Jim Hall"
wrote:
Thanks, everyone for info and advice.. I thought maybe that yellow crepe
thing cleaned the sandpaper too. I have one of those yellow (crepe?) things
on a stick that works great for cleaning sandpaper on the spindle sander.

I have the sander sitter and one of those sticks for cleaning the
sandpaper and they both look like the same stuff to me. If I recall
correctly the box said it was sandpaper cleaner stuff. The stick works
good for unclogging the sandpaper on the spindle sander but I've never
noticed any difference to the sandpaper on the ROS, probably because
with the ROS the sheet gets worn out before it gets clogged. (No, I'm
not going to take the pad on the sitter and see if I can clean the
spindle sander drum with it.)

I quit using the sitter for a while because the hose made it off
balance, and it vibrated off the bench with the sander on it like one
of those oldtime football games where the players vibrated all over
the board. Then I hung the vac hose from a bungee cord so it was
easier to handle which made it more stable when I put it down, and
then I got the bright idea to drill a hole in the base so I could put
a length of 12 gauge wire in there, bend it, and clamp the wire in a
vise. Now it's anchored so it's a safe handy place to put the sander
while it's still on or for letting it wind down. So I'm getting some
use out of especially when I have a lot of sanding to do. But it's one
of those things I don't think I'd buy again.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I'd like to add my comment to this.

Mine never worked. It vibrated around like crazy. Even without a hose.

The crepe is not the same as my stick either. Live and learn.

wrote:

Does anyone use one of these? Wondering if it really extends the life of
sandpaper/ provide a good base for the sander when not in use or just
another consumer gimmick?

Mine was useless.

With a vacuum hose attached, the sander won't stay in the sitter.

The Sander Sitter set a new purchase to eBay time record for me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 11:38:15 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I have the sander sitter and one of those sticks for cleaning the
sandpaper and they both look like the same stuff to me. If I recall
correctly the box said it was sandpaper cleaner stuff.

The crepe stuff works great. I use it all the time on my 12" disc and
22" drum machines.

The Sander Sitter is the crappy part. G
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Does anyone use one of these? Wondering if it really extends the life of
sandpaper/ provide a good base for the sander when not in use or just
another consumer gimmick? Thanks..

The only benefit I see is not having to wait for the sander to stop
turning before putting it down. It could be considered a time saver
and impatience remover.

Otoe
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:

Does anyone use one of these? Wondering if it really extends the life of
sandpaper/ provide a good base for the sander when not in use or just
another consumer gimmick? Thanks..

The only benefit I see is not having to wait for the sander to stop
turning before putting it down. It could be considered a time saver
and impatience remover.

I never had any problem in just setting it down...your bench top is
inviolate?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Does anyone use one of these? Wondering if it really extends the
life of sandpaper/ provide a good base for the sander when not in
use or just another consumer gimmick? Thanks..

The only benefit I see is not having to wait for the sander to stop
turning before putting it down. It could be considered a time saver
and impatience remover.

I never had any problem in just setting it down...your bench top is
inviolate?

In the time it takes to put down most palm sanders I've used, the palm
sander has stopped moving. The belt sander takes a few seconds... but
it's time well worth it. The scar on my finger is still there to remind
me that those things are mean!

Puckdropper
marching band.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

It could be considered a time saver
and impatience remover.

I never had any problem in just setting it down...your bench top is
inviolate?

You betcha. I'm of the 'work on it' not the 'work into it' school of
thought when it comes to my bench.

Joe 'still working on that patience thing' C.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Joe wrote:
It could be considered a time saver
and impatience remover.

I never had any problem in just setting it down...your bench top is
inviolate?

You betcha. I'm of the 'work on it' not the 'work into it' school of
thought when it comes to my bench.

I "work on it" too, but I surely don't worry about the finish...
Won't _purposely_ put a major gouge in it, but it is, after all, only a
tool, not the workpiece...

imo, $0.02, ymmv, etc., etc., etc., ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 20:21:41 -0600, dpb wrote:

Joe wrote:
It could be considered a time saver
and impatience remover.
I never had any problem in just setting it down...your bench top is
inviolate?

You betcha. I'm of the 'work on it' not the 'work into it' school of
thought when it comes to my bench.

I "work on it" too, but I surely don't worry about the finish...
Won't _purposely_ put a major gouge in it, but it is, after all, only a
tool, not the workpiece...

imo, $0.02, ymmv, etc., etc., etc., ...

I don't think it's the finish as much as the sander walking around for a short
time..

I find that I'm just not in that big a hurry.. I turn the sander off and put it
down when it's not moving anymore..

If I had to be in a hurry, I'd find a different hobby..