Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Arrrg...WARP!

My wife wanted a sink in her laundry room. OK, NP...I made lower and
upper cabinets, made and fitted the doors in my shop, all was well.

I then removed the doors, brought the cabinets inside and we hung
them. A day or so later I rehung the doors. The upper cabinet doors
didn't fit well. There are two cabinet sections, each with two doors,
each door is approximately 15" x 39". The problem is that one inside
corner of each door stood off from the face frame by 1/2" or so. That
standoff has now worsened...in some cases to more than an inch. The
cabinet is quite solid, wasn't wracked when hung.

The rails and stiles for the doors are 1 1/2" x 3/4" and were ripped
off of "whitewood" 2x4s; the panels are 1/4" birch ply. Rails/stiles
are hooked together with 1/2 x 1/4 tongues and grooves, panels set in
the groove. I've made many doors in a similar fashion before with
nary a problem.

WHAT WARPED?
There are two possibilities...the stile(s) or the plywood panels. I'm
leaning toward it being the ply. What do you think? Any way to tell
for sure?

HOW TO FIX?
1. I've thought of misting a bit of water along the groove where
the ply is and then clamping the door flat for a week or two.

2. I've thought of ripping off 3/4" along the inside stile and
then afixing a 3/4 x 1 1/2 or so strip along it so that it stands
proud of the outside door edge by 3/4". My thinking is that the 1 1/2
width would better resist effort by the ply panel to bend but I have
no idea if it would be sufficient.

Any other ideas? All are welcome, I really don't want to remake the
doors and I can't stand them as they are.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Anybody have a Chopmaster warp? Frank Drackman Woodworking 0 March 6th 06 03:24 AM
will my panels warp? Wyatt Woodworking 4 October 31st 05 05:49 PM
What causes wood to warp? [email protected] Woodworking 3 January 22nd 05 05:46 AM
Pvc in the sun will it warp [email protected] Home Repair 10 January 20th 05 04:35 AM
Will TS Extension Warp? Bill Woodworking 5 January 17th 04 05:46 AM