Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default Arrrg...WARP!

Greg G. wrote:
dadiOH said:

WHAT WARPED?
There are two possibilities...the stile(s) or the plywood panels.
I'm leaning toward it being the ply. What do you think? Any way
to tell for sure?

Take them apart.

Can't
____________

Plywood is extremely resistant to warping -
there is no consistant grain structure to cause it.

One would think so but in my experience it frequently wants to wind.
Usually NP as it is either screwed/nailed/glued to something or is
contained within stout lumber pieces.
_________________

Your problem
was in using using construction grade wood which is not only too
wet, but is generally veneer cores which contain a lot of twisting
annular grain.

You lost me here with "veneer cores". You're talking about the ply?
I used to use a lot of lumber core ply but have never seen it where I
live now and have never even heard of it in 1/4" ply. The ply I used
was probably BC, lower limits of each, never heard of other ply
designations other than core, faces, glue. The whitewood was #2
common which - around here at least - is AKA "construction grade".
_________________

HOW TO FIX?
1. I've thought of misting a bit of water along the groove
where the ply is and then clamping the door flat for a week or two.

It won't stay that way. You have now reached the wood's natural
state at household moisture levels. But due to the annular grain,
it is far more susceptable to warping with each minor seasonal
moisture change.

I don't think so either. But I still think it is the ply bending, not
the frame. All lumber frame elements are still nice and straight.
The rails *have* to be twisted in order for the door to warp as
described but that twist is too little to see with a straight edge.

Anyway, good luck!

Thanks

--

dadiOH