Posted to rec.woodworking

Default duck decoy prices

This month's Woodshop News has a feature on collectible duck decoys.
They have two photos of decoys by Elmer Crowell. One recently sold for over a million
dollars. The other dosn't hv avalue listed, but the text states it's even more valuable.

Question; why? I don't mean why are they valuable -- they are beautiful, old,
authenticated, and in a niche area. But other fine carved work doesn't
sell for anything like that.

-- Andy Barss

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hmm..
I have 3 decoys that belonged to my grandfather. Two are "decorating" my Koi
pond (exposed to the weather) and one is on a window sill indoors. Pretty
faded but sound. Be interesting to see that article. I'm not familiar with
Woodshop News. Any links available?

Thanks,

--
Patrick Fischer
Olalla, WA

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message

This month's Woodshop News has a feature on collectible duck decoys.
They have two photos of decoys by Elmer Crowell. One recently sold for
over a million
dollars. The other dosn't hv avalue listed, but the text states it's even
more valuable.

Question; why? I don't mean why are they valuable -- they are beautiful,
old,
authenticated, and in a niche area. But other fine carved work doesn't
sell for anything like that.

-- Andy Barss

Posted to rec.woodworking

Patrick pfischerATATATATWavecable.com wrote:
: Hmm..
: I have 3 decoys that belonged to my grandfather. Two are "decorating" my Koi
: pond (exposed to the weather) and one is on a window sill indoors. Pretty
: faded but sound. Be interesting to see that article. I'm not familiar with
: Woodshop News. Any links available?

Here's some etail on the two decoys and the seller:

http://antiquesandthearts.com/Antiqu..._09-08-44.html

Here's the link to Woodshop News:

http://www.woodshopnews.com/ME2/Default.asp

It's a good mag, oriented toward the professional shop but with a lot of
stuff of interest to any woodworker. And it's cheap!

-- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.woodworking

There is an art store near me that specializes in wildlife. I believe it
is primarily visited by wealthy and hunters. The decoys sell for
hundreds to 10s of thousands. Too rich for my blood, even at the
cheapest price. But there must be a market. They have been in business
for longer than I have lived in the area.

J T wrote:
Sat, Jan 5, 2008, 1:28am (EST+5)
(Andrew Barss) doth queryeth:
snip Question; why? I don't mean why are they valuable -- they are
beautiful, old, authenticated, and in a niche area. But other fine
carved work doesn't sell for anything like that.

My theory is, more money than brains. And would rather waste their
money on things like that than to do something useful, or helpful, with
the money.

JOAT
You can't always judge by appearances, the early bird may have been up
all night.

DUCK DECOY J T Woodworking 2 December 6th 07 11:26 PM
The Ultimate Duck? J T Woodworking 3 October 25th 07 11:46 PM
HUNTING DECOY J T Woodworking 0 January 16th 05 06:42 PM
Duck Seal rag Home Repair 3 August 11th 03 02:52 AM