Posted to rec.woodworking

Default T-trck, either cheap or green

We're constructing a "tent"/"fort" for my son, who wants such a thing
around his bed so he can watch movies and read books in a fort. My wife wants
it to be easily removable. The tentative plan is to run T-track in a
rectangle on the ceiling, then hang cloth panels off the t-track, which can then be retracted.

Anyway, I need about 20 feet of t-track, and have been surprised at
the variation in price. Rockler has blue stuff in 4' lengths for $16.
Woocraft has gneric for close to twice that, and Incra gold stuff for
the same price. My son would prefer green anodized aluminum
instead of Rocklr blue. Does anyone hav a source for that? Or for
inexpensive t-track (in any color that isn't gold)?

Thanks,

Andy Barss
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lou Lou is offline

A close reseblance would be the curtain runs for hospital
curtain dividers. Not sure where to look for those other than
a hospital supply, but I got mine when remodeling a hospital.
Lou
Posted to rec.woodworking

Andrew Barss wrote:
We're constructing a "tent"/"fort" for my son, who wants such a
thing
around his bed so he can watch movies and read books in a fort. My
wife wants
it to be easily removable. The tentative plan is to run T-track in
rectangle on the ceiling, then hang cloth panels off the t-track,
which can then be retracted.

Anyway, I need about 20 feet of t-track, and have been surprised at
the variation in price. Rockler has blue stuff in 4' lengths for
$16.
Woocraft has gneric for close to twice that, and Incra gold stuff
for
the same price. My son would prefer green anodized aluminum
instead of Rocklr blue. Does anyone hav a source for that? Or for
inexpensive t-track (in any color that isn't gold)?

Find the fittings you're going to use and then very carefully check
the dimensions against those of the track you are considering and make
sure it will accommodate them.

As for the color, what does a can of green Rust-Oleum cost?

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 3, 1:23 am, Andrew Barss wrote:
We're constructing a "tent"/"fort" for my son, who wants such a thing
around his bed so he can watch movies and read books in a fort. My wife wants
it to be easily removable. The tentative plan is to run T-track in a
rectangle on the ceiling, then hang cloth panels off the t-track, which can then be retracted.

Anyway, I need about 20 feet of t-track, and have been surprised at
the variation in price. Rockler has blue stuff in 4' lengths for $16.
Woocraft has gneric for close to twice that, and Incra gold stuff for
the same price. My son would prefer green anodized aluminum
instead of Rocklr blue. Does anyone hav a source for that? Or for
inexpensive t-track (in any color that isn't gold)?

Thanks,

Andy Barss

McMaster Carr has the clear anodized stuff in 4' lengths for under $10
each:
Width: 47/64"
Height: 1/2"
Length: 48"
Part #: 1850A19
Price: $9.38

-Nathan

Posted to rec.woodworking

T-Track - no. But how about some alternatives?

Eons ago when my daughter was about 5 she wanted something similar.
We bought a small $20 2 person tent and put it up in her room. She
loved it and damn near lived in it for about a month.
A friend used a PVC pipe frame around his son's bed and that was
"the best" in the kids words.
Both solutions are easy to install and remove and leave no holes/marks/
damage to the house.
Art

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message

We're constructing a "tent"/"fort" for my son, who wants such a thing

[snip]
inexpensive t-track (in any color that isn't gold)?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Artemus"

A friend used a PVC pipe frame around his son's bed and that was
"the best" in the kids words.
Both solutions are easy to install and remove and leave no holes/marks/
damage to the house.

I agree .. IME, T-Track does not slide all that easily under the best of
circumstances, as those necessary square nuts can really hang.

A shower curtain type arrangement from the ceiling, maybe using pvc, or even
electrical conduit, would be the simplest, cheapest and with the fewest
holes drilled. I used the conduit/shower curtain ring approach recently
outdoors to shield a friend's hot-tub from the afternoon sun, but pvc will
likely be more kid friendly.

A simple square frame out of 3/4" PVC, hung from the ceiling at four points
over the bed, fabric shower curtains and rings ... instant fort.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Thu, Jan 3, 2008, 6:23am (EST+5)
(Andrew*Barss) doth sayeth:
We're constructing a "tent"/"fort" for my son, who wants such a thing
around his bed so he can watch movies and read books in a fort. My wife
wants it to be easily removable. The tentative plan is to run T-track in
a rectangle on the ceiling, then hang cloth panels off the t-track,
which can then be retracted. snip

Well, my first though is, fabrich hanging from a ceiling ain't a
fort. My third thought was stack boxes up, or interlocking pieces -
wouldn't be hard to come up with something like that - painted fort
color. Second thought was lightweit folding screens, painted with fort
scenes. Fabric or paper covered, to be light weight. If I was a kid
(Hell, in some ways I still am), I'd sooner have blankets strung from
chairs as a fort than cloth hung from the ceiling. Ask the kid what he
wants, then what would be accaptable, go from there.

Quite awhile back I saw a 'cabin' kids could make, and play in, ala
Lincon Logs, except with interlocking plywood pieces. No, I don't
recall where I saw it, just on-line somewhere; and no, I'm not going to
spend time looking for it; if "I" want a fort, then I'll look; until
then you look. The point is, something like that can be put up, or
taken down, in just a few minutes, and in different configurations, same
same as Lincoln Logs. Trouble with all you guys, you're all too old.

JOAT
You can't always judge by appearances, the early bird may have been up
all night.