Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Default It's not cheap being green.

What it costs with a rather large victorian house and a for British
standards, a rather large garden, is another 100,000 quid.

For that you get a lot of glass wool, several wood burning stoves, two
or three turbines and a rewire job, a new roof and several outbuildings
including a rather perilous looking outhouse loo.

I know what I'd have done with the £100,000.

Still if you factor in some very average hand held film work (probably
cadging help the way they got the gardening done) the initial outlay
would be amply repayed in the TV series.

Of course turning your wife into a vegetarian in the process could be
an added expense.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Weatherlawyer wrote:
What it costs with a rather large victorian house and a for British
standards, a rather large garden, is another 100,000 quid.

For that you get a lot of glass wool, several wood burning stoves, two
or three turbines and a rewire job, a new roof and several outbuildings
including a rather perilous looking outhouse loo.

I forgot to mention the cottage industry of recycling the fat they use.
Which they get from a couple of pigs?

Someone bring me up to date on that process will you?

I can't help wondering what ever happened to that idea of installing an
old car engine under the house to run a generator, provide heat and
some mechanical take off.

There must be hundreds of scrapped diesels with perfectly adequate
engines going to the crusher every week in the big cities. I wonder why
he never looked at something like that?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It just seems to be more of the same old cra-cra-crazy stuff each week.
Another Heath Robinson contraption that adds to their overall
consumption of "stuff" to bring very small scale eco-payoffs. I can't
believe that the number of people going back and forth consuming fuel
can possibly be covered by the tiny biodiesel production (especially if
you include the production crew). Whilst it's all no doubt lots of fun
for them - there was probably one or two good tv progs in there - not a
whole series.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On 17 May 2006 00:15:42 -0700 someone who may be "Weatherlawyer"
wrote this:-

What it costs with a rather large victorian house and a for British
standards, a rather large garden, is another 100,000 quid.

For that you get a lot of glass wool, several wood burning stoves, two
or three turbines and a rewire job, a new roof and several outbuildings
including a rather perilous looking outhouse loo.

You neglected the cost of keeping the students in alcohol and other
things like the building work (roof in particular), water wheel, at
least two solar water heating systems and the greenhouse heating
system.

Personally I think it is a good series of programmes, not least
because it shows that being green can be fun and neither the people
or things involved are as boring as the anti-green lobby have long
asserted they are.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Helen Deborah Vecht

"Weatherlawyer" typed

Of course turning your wife into a vegetarian in the process could be
an added expense.

Wouldn't turning you wife vegetararian _save_ money? Beans are _cheap_ !

Or would there be the additional expense of meaty 'rescue' takeaways? ;-)

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On Wed, 17 May 2006 13:56:44 +0100 someone who may be Helen Deborah
Vecht wrote this:-

Of course turning your wife into a vegetarian in the process could be
an added expense.

Wouldn't turning you wife vegetararian _save_ money? Beans are _cheap_ !

That was something I was pondering. However, as an example of the
most evil sort of person on earth (according to the politically
correct), white, heterosexual, meat-eating and male, I had not been
brave enough to ask the question.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Vecht wrote this:-

Of course turning your wife into a vegetarian in the process could be
an added expense.

Wouldn't turning you wife vegetararian _save_ money? Beans are _cheap_ !

That was something I was pondering. However, as an example of the
most evil sort of person on earth (according to the politically
correct), white, heterosexual, meat-eating and male, I had not been
brave enough to ask the question.

What question?

If killing a couple of pigs would upset my wife I would have spared
them. It's as simple as that. I have nothing against vegetarianism or
any of that stuff. But amarriage is a artnership.

As for the programme, I liked it too. But for an 100 thousand I could
do what I wanted for a lot longer. I could hire a deputy prime minister
for about 9 or 10 months and stop him being whatever colour the
opposite of green is.

(That would take a considerable numer of pigs though no doubt.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Helen Deborah Vecht

David Hansen typed

Vecht wrote this:-

Of course turning your wife into a vegetarian in the process could be
an added expense.

Wouldn't turning you wife vegetararian _save_ money? Beans are _cheap_ !

That was something I was pondering. However, as an example of the
most evil sort of person on earth (according to the politically
correct), white, heterosexual, meat-eating and male, I had not been
brave enough to ask the question.

I'm white, middle-class & heterosexual but I balance this with being:
female
disabled
Jewish

so my evil is balanced...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Helen Deborah Vecht contains these words:

I'm white, middle-class & heterosexual but I balance this with being:
female
disabled
Jewish

so my evil is balanced...

I'm all up one end. Fat, bald, lazy...

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Guy King
writes
The message
from Helen Deborah Vecht contains these words:

I'm white, middle-class & heterosexual but I balance this with being:
female
disabled
Jewish

so my evil is balanced...

I'm all up one end. Fat, bald, lazy...

Bald, ?

not me

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

Vecht wrote this:-

Of course turning your wife into a vegetarian in the process could be
an added expense.

Wouldn't turning you wife vegetararian _save_ money? Beans are _cheap_ !

... as an example of the
most evil sort of person on earth (according to the politically
correct), white, heterosexual, meat-eating and male,

Depends on the meat you eat, not your colour, sex or whatever.

:-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
"Weatherlawyer" typed

Of course turning your wife into a vegetarian in the process could be
an added expense.

Wouldn't turning you wife vegetararian _save_ money? Beans are _cheap_ !

Or would there be the additional expense of meaty 'rescue' takeaways? ;-)

Cheapest would be simply to serve her up for dinner

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Helen Deborah Vecht

The Natural Philosopher typed

Cheapest would be simply to serve her up for dinner

Nah, legal fees are never cheap.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

[HELP!] Sony GDM-F400T9 issues.. random sparks, diagonal lines when the unit is cold at power-on for 30-40 seconds, high degree of green [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 May 10th 04 07:14 PM
A new low in cheap tools? Mickey Feldman Metalworking 35 February 15th 04 03:37 AM
Sony 17SFII monitor missing green color Steve(JazzHunter) Electronics Repair 0 January 12th 04 04:35 PM
Turning green wood js Woodturning 7 December 9th 03 03:57 AM
Sony TV blue color replaced by green techforce Electronics Repair 1 September 9th 03 10:42 PM