JD

Default JOAT, STOP SPAMMING The Wreck

T,

I was accusing JOAT of being a spammer. Spamming is when you post
unsolicited links to web sites either by email or in a public
newsgroup. What I said was true. They were unsolicited web links.
Besides, what makes you assume I was referring to you? Your handle is
T, not JOAT. Do you know how many people online use the handle "JOAT"?
Thousands. Quite a few people used it here in the wreck.

The Professor you were talking about was awarded that money in court
because he proved that he lost that amount in projected business
earnings. He was named, BY NAME, by a student of his who claimed the
he confessed to her that he is a pedofile. An online flame war among
anonymous individuals is not comparable to that at all.

Another state? Big deal. What if the person is another country? What
if the person does not use an ISP to connect. I don't know how
technical you are, but many people have a direct connection to the
internet and do not use an ISP. Many people use proxies to show a
different ISP than they are really using. Many people spoof headers.
All of this is legal in most cases. You could have a person whose
headers appear to be in Canada, but he is really in China and using a
proxy server.

Anyway, enjoy your hobbies.
J&KCopeland

"JD" wrote in message
om...
T,

I was accusing JOAT of being a spammer. Spamming is when you post
unsolicited links to web sites either by email or in a public
newsgroup.

No, it isn't.
http://www.spam.com/

James...

Rich Andrews

(JD) wrote in
[...]

JD, When it comes to ISP desginations, either you use an ISP or you are
an ISP. You cannot connect to the net unless you are one or the other.

Saudade

In om,
JD typed:
T,

Another state? Big deal. What if the person is another country? What
if the person does not use an ISP to connect. I don't know how
technical you are, but many people have a direct connection to the
internet and do not use an ISP.

I don't know how technical he is either but we all know how technical you
are (not!).

John McCoy

Rich Andrews wrote in
.44:

JD, When it comes to ISP desginations, either you use an ISP or you are
an ISP. You cannot connect to the net unless you are one or the other.

This is not correct. There are many people who have connections
that do not go thru an ISP (for starters, most .edu and .mil
users have a connection to the backbone which does not go thru
an ISP). Some folk will also argue that AOL is not, strictly,
an ISP.

John

Jules

I'm sure between google and maxwell.syr.edu they can figure out who you
are. And he has a big file off all your posts and what you said. It sure
seems like internet stalking to me. And that's a matter for the FBI not
a civil suit. Tax dollars at work. All you will know is one day someone
with some paperwork will show up in front of you and you will be begging
for mercy. Do you own very much? Any income to garnishee? A house?
Future income. Are your parents responsible for you because of your age
or mental capacity? Your hands will sure be full. A lawyer for the suit
and another for the harassment charges. Man that will be expensive.

JD wrote:

[...]

In article ,
John McCoy wrote:

Rich Andrews wrote in
. 3.44:

JD, When it comes to ISP desginations, either you use an ISP or you are
an ISP. You cannot connect to the net unless you are one or the other.

This is not correct.

Actually, it *IS* very nearly correct.

There are many people who have connections
that do not go thru an ISP (for starters, most .edu and .mil
users have a connection to the backbone which does not go thru
an ISP).

It depends on how you define an ISP. There are people who sell
'transit' services only, sometimes called an IAP (Internet _ACCESS_
Provider), to differentiate them from the 'full service" providers.

The term 'backbone' has been obsolete for years. *Nobody* has a connection
'to the backbone', anymore. Because there _ISN'T_ any 'backbone' anymore.
just a bunch of 'peering' agreements between the *big* commercial providers
(MCI, Sprint, GTE, LEVEL3, BBN, etc.). The 'federally funded'(originally
DOD ARPA, and later the NSF) backbone was TURNED OFF in the mid-to-late
1990s. 1997, I think it was.

The '.mil', along with '.gov' now *buys* 'internet access' from several
commercial providers -- Sprint, and BBN being the primary ones.

Same for *every* .edu. Frequently they belong to a 'regional' consortium,
and the consortium is the one who 'buys' access -- usually directly from
one of the 'big' commercial providers mentioned above.

In the modern world, things are classified as to whether they 'buy access'
from "somebody else", vs. having connections with "other providers" that they
do -not- pay that provider for. A provider who does -not- pay anybody else
to carry their traffic is known, in today's world, as a "Tier 1" provider.
ANY 'Tier 1' provider is the equal of any _other_ 'tier 1' provider. Pro-
viders that 'buy access' from a 'tier 1' provider, are known as 'tier 2'
providers. Those that buy access from a 'tier 2' provider, are 'tier 3'
providers. Etc., etc., ad nauseum. "End user" networks can buy access
from a provider at any 'tier'. Tier 1 providers are more expensive than
tier 2, which are more expensive than tier 3, and so on.

Some folk will also argue that AOL is not, strictly,
an ISP.

AOL does provide basic internet access services, and thus _does_ qualify
as an ISP. AOL is -not- "just an ISP", as they offer a lot of additional,
or 'value-added', services as well.

AOL, incidentally, is a 'tier 2' provider. They 'buy connectivity' from
Sprint, MCI, and other sources.

Rich Andrews

John McCoy wrote in
. 11:

Rich Andrews wrote in
.44:

JD, When it comes to ISP desginations, either you use an ISP or you

are
an ISP. You cannot connect to the net unless you are one or the other.

This is not correct. There are many people who have connections
that do not go thru an ISP (for starters, most .edu and .mil
users have a connection to the backbone which does not go thru
an ISP). Some folk will also argue that AOL is not, strictly,
an ISP.

John

Universities and other get their connetivity from somewhere, be it MCI,
UUNET, of whoever and those entities that sell connectivity are called
ISP's. It doesn't matter if the connectivity is a 28.8 dialup or a OC-48
or a T-3, the entitiy doing the selling is a Internet Service Provider.
Some may classed a backbone provider but the generic term still applies.