Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Question about finishing particle board (and one about formaldehyde)

Okay, so in the office that I work in, there are a couple tables that have a
table top that looks like particle board with a clear finish on it. I like
how it looks, and am planning on building an industrial looking desk at home
(pipe, key klamps) and would like to use this finished particle board as the
surface of the desk. My question is, what would be the best clear finish to
use that will work well on particle board and also work well as a desk
surface?

Also, as an aside, just how bad is the formaldehyde problem with particle
board? I made shelves and toy boxes in a walk-in closet in my new son's
room about 9 months ago (he moved into the room at about 3 months old). We
keep the door to the room closed, with the door to the closet open. For the
first couple months, I could smell the particle board (the fronts and tops
are painted, but the backs are unfinished), but it wasn't unpleasant (mostly
"wood like") or anything like the symptoms I have since read about regarding
formaldehyde, and he never showed any discomfort in the room. Now I am
worried that I have permanently damaged my son or something.

Anyway, thanks for any help!

Bill

Burning particle board SteveB Home Repair 38 November 11th 07 04:19 PM
Particle Board Woes Bill Woodworking 18 October 22nd 07 12:40 AM
Old particle board subfloor [email protected] Home Repair 13 June 14th 07 01:01 AM
Particle Board Painting Tanus Woodworking 7 August 29th 06 10:01 AM
hardwood over particle board steven Home Repair 3 July 4th 06 06:34 PM